You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
benlisquare

Brainstorming: Finding a solution for stopping BBs from camping the blue line

106 comments in this topic

Super Tester
1,177 posts
4,099 battles

We've all seen these in 7 out of 10 battles. BBs camp the blue line at the edge of the map, and when the enemy draws near, they attempt to maneuver but get stuck instead, and end up eating a hail of shells due to their lack of motion. But, what would be an effective solution to fix this problem?

R0Yg6DQ.jpg

I dedicate this thread to brainstorming possible ideas and finding a plausible solution that's both practical and non-game breaking.

Here are a few potential ideas:

• Make the line bigger and thicker, if players are having trouble seeing it.
  • Add an audible alarm and on-screen message if players approach the end of the map, similar to landmass collisions. This might be helpful for those suffering from tunnel vision when they zoom in and aim.
  • Use a system similar to World of Warplanes, where autopilot takes over and bounces you towards the opposite direction once you hit the edge of the map.
  • Use a system similar to Battlefield 2, with a soft border that you can move outside of, and a timer is displayed on the screen telling you how many seconds left until the game automatically kills you. I prefer this method, because it resembles a "carrot-and-stick" approach - if a bad player suffers the harsh penalty enough times, they'll eventually stop making the same mistake. Strict punishment systems are proven to have good effectiveness, just look at Singapore's legal system.
  • Alternatively, have soft borders that give players a gradual and steady loss of HP until they return to the map, if the idea of sudden death after a timer feels too extreme. There's still a "carrot-and-stick" theme, but players are more likely to have a natural reaction to it.

Anyone have anything else to suggest?

Super Tester
1,177 posts
4,099 battles

Have video guides every time you research or purchase a class of ship showing them how to use the ships effectively. 

If I was your typical 12 year old, I'd skip the video. If there wasn't a skip button, I'd ALT+TAB out of the game until the video is finished.

Kids all have ADHD these days, you can't expect them to have a decent attention span.

Alpha Tester
90 posts
694 battles

If I was your typical 12 year old, I'd skip the video. If there wasn't a skip button, I'd ALT+TAB out of the game until the video is finished.

Kids all have ADHD these days, you can't expect them to have a decent attention span.

Well ok how about GERMANS! GERMANS IN U BOATS! If a battleship is has been hiding in one position for more than 2 minutes or is AFK a Uboat turns up and torpedoes them. Forcing them to get in the fight. Almost every game i have played lately bb players camp the blue line on purpose or hide behind a island as though they cant take hits. GERMANS! Will solve this.

ST Coordinator
2,325 posts
2,196 battles

I think if you are stuck at the map border, autopilot takes over and cannot be overridden by any command. It will push/turn you back away from the border, after that autopilot turns off.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

Before touching the border

- Alarm

- Aide's warning

- Some kind of alert Sentence in the middle of the screen

- Automatically ALL ENGINE MOVE BACKWARD

Touching the Border

- Alarm (Higher or louder Frequent)

- Aide's Warning (This time WHINING)

- CoD Style when Low health

- Automatically Same as above

- BOOM (Sea mine)

Edited by Harpoon01

Beta Tester
73 posts
3,151 battles

How about getting a warning flashed across the screen saying "Please return to the battlefield!" and then yeah let autopilot take over and return you to the field.

I think that's how most games solve that problem, lol.

Super Tester
1,677 posts

or a voice that's going to say "we're leaving the battle zone, sir!"

Beta Tester
31 posts
620 battles

Was this in a co-op or random battle.  I've seen plenty of BOTs blue line since the AI is not that good yet, but the only blue line BBs I see in Random battles is when they are dodging torps.

Having said that I have noticed a big drop off in the competency of players since the end of Alpha.  It's a sad reflection of the standard of players in our community, but unfortunately we can't kick them from the server for incompetency.  And they will never improve, because let's face it, most of these people would ring up IT help desk to complain their computer doesn't operate during a power black out.  ROFL.  I have stopped playing Random battle because it is too hard to carry bad players against good players and I have had an exceptionally high occurrence of bad teams.  But I can carry most bad teams against Bots so it's more fun for me to play this mode.  And in the long run I earn more exp.

So to answer your question, the only real way of stopping blue line fever is to have the AI collision avoidance take over and steer them away from the blue line, of course this will just mean they will die quicker to torps.  It's a lose lose situation.

ST Coordinator
2,325 posts
2,196 battles

The world isn't round at all. 

Any ship crossing the blue line sails off the edge of the world, to be eaten by sea monsters.

WG, please implement this !

Beta Tester
1,422 posts
38 battles

The world isn't round at all. 

Any ship crossing the blue line sails off the edge of the world, to be eaten by sea monsters.

i was gonna say ships cross boarder will blow up like Yamato

but i could go along with this idea too :teethhappy:

Beta Tester
141 posts
17 battles

if you cross the border, the announcer will cry out: RELEASE THE KRAKEN!

...and an indestructible NPC Kraken will spawn to pull your ship down towards Davy Jones' Locker.

This will be both entertaining as well as educational.

PERFECT.

Beta Tester
2,083 posts
5,169 battles

my last game. 4 battleship camping at the edge of the map. 
i ask for help because the enemy break through line 8 but instead of intercepting them straight, all of them went to the bottom of the map to camp, i ask them why they are doing that; they just answer its the way of playing battleship... really? this is the first time i heard this.
not only they wasting lots of time to travel, they also making themselves an easy target for torpedo bombers and destroyer. 

u2o3W5G.jpg

Beta Tester
3,033 posts
1,487 battles

my last game. 4 battleship camping at the edge of the map. 

i ask for help because the enemy break through line 8 but instead of intercepting them straight, all of them went to the bottom of the map to camp, i ask them why they are doing that; they just answer its the way of playing battleship... really? this is the first time i heard this.

not only they wasting lots of time to travel, they also making themselves an easy target for torpedo bombers and destroyer. 

That "it's the way of playing BBs". Made me chuckled.

Edited by Umidoori

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

Anyone have anything else to suggest?

I would argue that educating players to utilize a more efficient playstyle would be preferable,

but we all know that won't work anyway, so I guess any additional slap to the face will help. :x

if you cross the border, the announcer will cry out: RELEASE THE KRAKEN!

...and an indestructible NPC Kraken will spawn to pull your ship down towards Davy Jones' Locker.

This will be both entertaining as well as educational.

PERFECT.

Too much Red Alert 2 lately? :P

i ask them why they are doing that; they just answer its the way of playing battleship... really? this is the first time i heard this.

Friend of mine asked me a couple of days ago how I play BBs.

My reply was to send him this song.

(Mostly since I don't have the time to make Youtube videos atm and also am too lazy to explain things properly :x)

Super Tester
532 posts
1,052 battles

I take insult to that, I have ADHD. :/

Super Tester
2,725 posts

How to resolve it???

My suggestions:

- alarm or notification that you are gonna leave the battle area

- Arc line border map, instead of Square. // Reason? For easy maneuver

Although our suggestion will be 50-50 effective or will be good use to players. Because the tunnel vision issue will still remain there.