Sign in to follow this  
Sub_Octavian

[PSA] Giulio Cesare testing and premium ships status

11 comments in this topic

Untouchables
26 posts

Dear players,

Following your feedback and test results, we decided to stop live testing of Giulio Cesare at tier VI and abandon the initiative to individually re-balance premium ships, which were purchased in or directly marketed through our Premium store. Here is the reasoning:

1. While many of you did support the idea of promoting more balance and fair play, most of you were not willing to support this if it means making changes to purchased premium ships. 
  2. Many of you let us know that the perfect balance in each ship group is not as critical for you as we assumed; however, the confidence that the stats of purchased premium ships are not to be nerfed is much more important. It was not the only opinion voiced, but it was the most frequent in all discussions on all platforms.
  3. According to the majority of your opinions, having several over performing premium ships in the game is not an issue for you, given the fact that they are not sold directly and that they can be countered under the right circumstances; 
  4. Testing Giulio Cesare on tier VI has shown that it can indeed be a balanced tier VI battleship, however, her gameplay experience changed dramatically. The same is true for alternative rebalance options (e.g. nerf on tier V).

As the proposed initiative was based on community feedback, and achieving absolutely perfect balance in each ship group is not a purpose in itself (and it is not really possible anyway, because ships have vastly different play styles, pros and cons, and players have vastly different skill levels), we decided to cancel it. There are not many ships like Giulio Cesare in the game, and most of them are quite old; our balancing process has significantly improved since release, and there is no indication that we will have many such ships in the game. However, if they do appear, we will take appropriate action. For example, as we do now, stop direct sales and limit their distribution to very special occasions, so that their presence in battles is minimal.

Despite the fact that we never had a rule which stated "premium ships are not nerfed individually", we indeed did not do it before and we understand why many of you assumed that there is such a rule.

It should be noted that even the ships purchased in or marketed through Premium store are a part of a big game we all play. That means our decision does not isolate any ship from systematic changes applied to a group of ships on common basis or to the whole game. For example, a change to the Radar mechanics affects all ships equipped with Radar, a Smoke mechanics change affects all ships with smoke, etc. 

We sincerely thank you for your opinions and feedback.

Good luck and fair seas! :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 4
  • Bad 1

14 posts
4,394 battles

Why not just make another version of those OP ships (which is now balanaced) then make them available to the shop and let the players keep the original one and lock it away from the premium shop and supercontainers? 

IMO, that the best choice WG could have done..

• Cool 1

1,354 posts
14,457 battles

It may be a failure of game balance, but it is the success of honesty and contract spirit(Especially when it was put into Santa Crate like Kutuzov). You made the right choice.

561 posts
1,474 battles

The GC test should NOT be there at the first place.

No problem with recalling and balancing any premium as long as cash refund is offerred

• Cool 1

[ZUIUN]
Alpha Tester
465 posts
9 hours ago, Sub_Octavian said:

Why don't you just release the T6 version as a brand new ship and call it "Giulio Cesare B". That way the stat padders get to keep their dirty filthy seal clubbing ship while new customers will still have access to a real historical ship. Is that really so hard? :fish_palm:

Edited by Nikolaevna
  • Cool 2

[TDA]
Super Tester
5,214 posts
6,291 battles

Brave decision and ultimately would be never be a popular decision.

I wont lie.  I didn't want my Giulio, or any of my purchased premiums  nerfed after I paid real money for them.  The prospect of getting in game currency as compensation if I didn't want the ship any more was not a good idea. People that don't own then hate them because they are good ships or they don't have a chance to own them.  

As Sub Octavian said, the community is all for balance but not at the cost of people losing ships they paid real currency for.  WG saw this as a risk to the player base support they have and I think maybe they are still hurting from the towel up they got over the CV re-balance and realised that the community voice really does count.

44 posts

I think the problem is Wargaming's compensation plan. There are many currencies in the game now: XP, Free XP, silver, doubloons, coal, steel, copper, resource of the month. But the most valuable item to players are ships, and rare ships even more so while doubloons are among the least valuable. The most valuable item to Wargaming is cash and as a business rightfully so. Buying a premium ship is a great win-win deal, Wargaming gets cash and players get their most valued item of ships. Wargaming should have offered better compensation. Adding more premiums available for doubloons was a good first step to increase the value of doubloons. Then increase the payout, let players keep the nerf'd premium and get a bunch of doubloons as compensation. Still not happy? Return the ship for even more doubloons. Don't like doubloons? Offer coal or steel. Or half off the next cash premium ship. I think the negative player reaction is really driven by sticking to the notion that doubloons was just as good as a cash as compensation.

Edited by Watboy

49 posts

At least,  They "finally" noticed one thing....   

Ruined the premium ship's status was a bad idea....

Sign in to follow this