Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
adampurkis

Any advice or tactics good for DD players?

7 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
90 posts
694 battles

Almost all my ships are DDs apart for my Omaha. Seeing as BB are the only balance ships in the game right now I seriously think i need some hints. Very rare i get a good game cant get close enough to release em torps and when I do every single ship even battleships and aircraft carriers turn around like shopping trolleys and dodge them. 

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Pick your targets carefully. You'll want to only fire at ships that are already engaged with someone else, as they'll be less likely to notice the torpedoes until its too late. Also, target ships in straits or emerging around islands. Generally, unless you're incredibly gutsy, you'll want to stay out of visual range because the moment any ships are aware a DD is nearby, they'll be a lot more cautious about torpedoes. Also, lower tier DDs can use their torpedoes as area-denial weapons due to the low cooldown. Spam them down straits and at bases.

Beta Tester
86 posts
208 battles

Even if you have torpedoes, DO NOT RELY on them. Rely more on your cannons, well this only applies on US DDs tho since they have excellent reload times and turret rotation, compare it to the abysmally awful Jap DD cannons. US DDs are excellent DD hunters, think more of them as fleet support DDs. You hunt other DDs to preserve your own capital ships and cruisers which in turn would sort of cover the lack of range for US torps. Use torps only when the situation calls for it (i.e. when you're very close to an enemy ship).

Now as a Jap DD, do not fire your cannons when you're about to make a torpedo run, check your concealment rating and as you approach the number indicated there, pop your smoke to give you more time to close the distance for a torpedo run. Once you fire your torpedoes, retreat to the smoke you created. You're pretty much screwed up tho if there's a US DD. In that situation, always present your front or back to it, never your broadside. Oh and avoid gunfights against US DDs, Jap DDs would simply be outgunned.

Alpha Tester
2,046 posts
277 battles

Uhh aren't you a AT? nm then...... remember to use smoke and dont shoot you peashooters during the time.

Eh? You can shoot your peashooters and fishies in smoke and you won't get detected even 2km away, just don't move.

Edit: Oh wait... That's for IJN DDs kek

Edited by Saito_Himea

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

(The patch make it hard to play DD, so it make sense that Destroyer are not as good as they were)

Just make sure to not Engage any Cruiser (or USN DD if you using IJN's) and try to move to lead position of enemy battleship so you don't have to chase them (and get some hit in the process), advised to bring allied DD so you can cast long lasting Smoke (And hope someone can show the enemy for you with planes)

Sign in to follow this