Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ShaddowAU

WG: Why Not Sell National Flags in WoWS as You do in WoT?

39 comments in this topic

177 posts

Wargaming here is a money making idea that I imagine many players might actually want, as per the title; sell national flags so people can fly their country's flag on their ships. Some people might buy many flags to have the corresponding national flag to the ship it is flying on (more money for you WG). There can be no argument here over maintaining complete accuracy in the game as some of the stupid flags people fly on their ships now makes a mockery of that idea. You have made it possible to unlock flying 2 flags on many ships in the game, now give us the option to put a flag on our ships we would actually like to fly. Also, as per the title, you have already done the equivalent in WoT with players able to both paint and fly their choice of flags on and from their tanks, can we have the same choice in WoWS? I'm a proud Australian, I'd like to be able to fly the Aussie flag on my ships, and I'd be willing to spend a few doubloons to have it.

I want this flying on my ships, please WG!!!!

255px-Flag_of_Australia_(converted)_svg.png.57220e5c4dca80b4c8944deec2b672c6.png

PS. Also can you please fix the issue with German ships all flying a version of the Kriegsmarine ensign? The pre-1935 German ships should not be flying the Nazi German ensign, even your understandably censored version of it. The WW1 era German ships should be flying the 'Kaiserliche Marine' (Imperial Navy) ensign. WG is a Russian based company and it is very noticeable that you took the care to have the Russia ships with the correct pre and post Revolution ensigns on them, it would be nice to see that same attention to detail applied also to non-Russian ships (not holding my breath waiting though).

Kaiserliche Marine Ensign 1903-1918                                    Kriegsmarine Ensign 1938-1945 (Edited so real history will not upset the delicate sensibilities of WG)

320px-War_Ensign_of_Germany_(1903-1918)_svg.png.435f042795f10d1b4cea2507029e44a0.png.7868175df07a9bb59fb830e5ff34d31f.png         795409675_320px-War_ensign_of_Germany_(19381945)_svg.png.edited.png.c69d48bf78fe868b8584772a50db3b73.png

Edited by ShaddowAU
  • Cool 7

[TWR]
1,264 posts
4,750 battles

You might want to change the Kriegsmarine flag in your post to the in game one,WG has a policy of not allowing the Swastika to be posted on the forums.

177 posts
38 minutes ago, BanditSE1977 said:

You might want to change the Kriegsmarine flag in your post to the in game one,WG has a policy of not allowing the Swastika to be posted on the forums.

Will this appease our corporate overlords?

795409675_320px-War_ensign_of_Germany_(19381945)_svg.png.edited.png.b59a26230d2eccea8ffa42aef46fe456.png

• Funny 3

[TWR]
1,264 posts
4,750 battles
16 hours ago, ShaddowAU said:

Will this appease our corporate overlords?

795409675_320px-War_ensign_of_Germany_(19381945)_svg.png.edited.png.b59a26230d2eccea8ffa42aef46fe456.png

It should......unless the Chinese government get offended 'cos reasons' like last year and WG go ban happy again on certain nations flags!   😄

• Funny 1

[AUSNZ]
Super Tester
1,041 posts
7,779 battles

WoT does have a nice feature to add flags as decals to the tank.

Obviously these flags can be downloaded via a modpack like Aslains or Hakabase, for ones like the KM. National flags tohugh as they stand and not their naval variant i havent seen. Doesnt mean that you cant create them though.

Only issue with that is that no one else bar you, or those that run that mod can see it.

[TDA]
[TDA]
Alpha Tester
2,116 posts
7,703 battles

Seeing that  the current aussie flag was only our flag from the mid 1950s, no sailor in any ship in the WOWs timeline ever saw her.

Aussie ships flew the Red Ensign. This would be more appropriate.

You wanted the 'Kaiserliche Marine' ensign flying for the correct ships, why not the same detail for the Aussie ships?

• Cool 4

177 posts
1 hour ago, AntifoulAwl said:

Seeing that  the current aussie flag was only our flag from the mid 1950s, no sailor in any ship in the WOWs timeline ever saw her.

Aussie ships flew the Red Ensign. This would be more appropriate.

You wanted the 'Kaiserliche Marine' ensign flying for the correct ships, why not the same detail for the Aussie ships?

The "Red Ensign" is Australian Merchant Navy / civil ensign not the Australian National Flag. Both designs where adopted in 1903, with some changes made to the stars but by 1908 we had the design as per today. Even the article you linked talks about how the Red Ensign was used by many in the public, and by the States, as for a period, as the Federal Government and flag suppliers restricted the sale and use of the blue version, our proper national flag. Don't be confused that because the Flag Act 1953 finally legally defined the blue Australian flag as the "Australian National Flag" that is wasn't used as that prior. The "Red Ensign" was never our national flag and unless WG plans, for some odd reason, to add merchant ships to WoWS, (the game is not "World of Merchant Ships") I can't see the relevance of why we would need it in the game, or even the white Australian Naval Ensign, introduced in 1967 to replace the Royal Navy Ensign on our warships as the UK was concerned their warships could be mistakenly attacked because of our involvement in the Vietnam War.

If you want confirmation:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_of_Australia

Edited by ShaddowAU
  • Cool 1

[TDA]
[TDA]
Alpha Tester
2,116 posts
7,703 battles

I didn't realize you just wanted the national flag for it's own sake.

I thought you were trying to be accurate, as your original posts mentions the KM and it's flags.

Somehow, I not keen on paying a foreign company for the ability to fly our own flag.

• Cool 3

[CLAY]
1,915 posts
10,342 battles

So.. basically, you;

A. Want other countries Ships, like the KM ones, to fly the period accurate naval flag. (I.e the one that flys automatically on all ships)

B. Want to fly the offical national flag of your country (on presumably any ship), as one of the mountable flags, simply out of unbridled patriotism.

While I don’t have any great reverence for our flag, and don’t especially care if it appears in the game, I don’t really see the point. None of the ships in the game flew it, and to be thrown around so freely would be a little degrading in this context.

I would much prefer WG to allow Clans to design and fly Clan Flags. Similar to Guild Tabards in World of Warcraft.

Although if you really want an Aussie flag, perhaps you could convince WG to put in the Boxing Kanagroo flag 😛

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

177 posts
1 hour ago, Grygus_Triss said:

So.. basically, you;

A. Want other countries Ships, like the KM ones, to fly the period accurate naval flag. (I.e the one that flys automatically on all ships)

B. Want to fly the offical national flag of your country (on presumably any ship), as one of the mountable flags, simply out of unbridled patriotism.

While I don’t have any great reverence for our flag, and don’t especially care if it appears in the game, I don’t really see the point. None of the ships in the game flew it, and to be thrown around so freely would be a little degrading in this context.

I would much prefer WG to allow Clans to design and fly Clan Flags. Similar to Guild Tabards in World of Warcraft.

Although if you really want an Aussie flag, perhaps you could convince WG to put in the Boxing Kanagroo flag 😛

The ship ensigns are uncontrollable by us (except being able to swap out the default one on "Commonwealth", "Pan-Asian" and "Pan-American" ships) so expecting these to be accurate to period, like the Russian ones, I don't think is too much of an ask. That section about the German ensigns in my post was a "PS" on the bottom as really it is a completely separate issue to main post but people seem to be combining the two issues, and I am partly to blame for this as I didn't want to start two separate topics.

As for the flags we can control, I don't know if you have noticed but it is a free for all, there is cats, weird egg/chicken characters, Azur Lane and everything else under the sun. I would like to have some more control over what I can fly in this respect so the ANF would be my first choice. As for things being a "little degrading", you're worried about flags yet you don't find it degrading at all that WG has commercialized vessels which people fought and died on and many of which sit on the bottom of the ocean today as war graves? For $29.44 AUD you can pay a Russian company to have a virtual copy of HMAS Perth in their game. An Australian Warship sunk on the 1 March 1942 at the Battle of Sunda Strait with a loss of 353 of her 715 crew, and the subsequently loss of another 106 in Japanese prison camps and 36 killed by American submarines while being transported on Japanese "Hell Ships". WG could give back some of that money to help protect other war grave ships from the same fate as HMAS Perth, having been legally "salvaged" in recent years for scrap metal by Indonesians, but to do that that would be expecting too much of dodgy money hungry Russians.

As for the "Boxing Kangaroo", I don't see 'Australia II' sailing around in the game with her winged-keel, and besides the Boxing Kangaroo is copyrighted so that won't happen.

Edited by ShaddowAU

1,325 posts
11,993 battles

I had a thought of it and.... actually NAH

18 hours ago, AntifoulAwl said:

Somehow, I not keen on paying a foreign company for the ability to fly our own flag.

This...

[BOTES]
Modder
579 posts
4,451 battles
On 3/10/2019 at 1:07 PM, ShaddowAU said:

PS. Also can you please fix the issue with German ships all flying a version of the Kriegsmarine ensign? The pre-1935 German ships should not be flying the Nazi German ensign, even your understandably censored version of it. The WW1 era German ships should be flying the 'Kaiserliche Marine' (Imperial Navy) ensign. WG is a Russian based company and it is very noticeable that you took the care to have the Russia ships with the correct pre and post Revolution ensigns on them, it would be nice to see that same attention to detail applied also to non-Russian ships (not holding my breath waiting though).

Kaiserliche Marine Ensign 1903-1918                                  

320px-War_Ensign_of_Germany_(1903-1918)_svg.png.435f042795f10d1b4cea2507029e44a0.png.7868175df07a9bb59fb830e5ff34d31f.png 

If my memory serves me correctly, one of the many reasons the imperial flag & ensign were discontinued by the devs is the current extremist usages of the imperial flags in modern Germany as a substitute of the "flag-that-cannot-be-used". 

1,325 posts
11,993 battles
Just now, 9mm1n said:

imperial flags

I think I read it in Japanese forums as well.. some people were offended by old Land of Rising sun flags...

177 posts
2 hours ago, 9mm1n said:

If my memory serves me correctly, one of the many reasons the imperial flag & ensign were discontinued by the devs is the current extremist usages of the imperial flags in modern Germany as a substitute of the "flag-that-cannot-be-used". 

That is ridiculous, is their any flag that is fully safe? What's next, they should remove the Royal Navy white ensign as it has the Saint George's Cross in it and that is used by English football fans when there is English football violence and also by right-wing nationalist extremist groups in England. The Australian Flag has been also used by anti-immigrant groups here in protests and violent scuffles with Lebanese counter protesters etc. so we can't use the Australian flag, where does this crap end? Maybe we should just put white flags on every ship, but that could upset the French as they have almost exclusive ownership of that flag, I'm fairly sure the white flag is the flag of the French Army. See we just can't win.

[TWR]
1,264 posts
4,750 battles
3 hours ago, ShaddowAU said:

That is ridiculous, is their any flag that is fully safe? What's next, they should remove the Royal Navy white ensign as it has the Saint George's Cross in it and that is used by English football fans when there is English football violence and also by right-wing nationalist extremist groups in England. The Australian Flag has been also used by anti-immigrant groups here in protests and violent scuffles with Lebanese counter protesters etc. so we can't use the Australian flag, where does this crap end? Maybe we should just put white flags on every ship, but that could upset the French as they have almost exclusive ownership of that flag, I'm fairly sure the white flag is the flag of the French Army. See we just can't win.

You want ridiculous?

Given your join date,I gather you missed the Chinese furor from early last year( which I referenced in my earlier post )?

A post on the EU news page, that inadvertently said 'Independent nation of Taiwan', 'apparently' upset some player who seen it,who then reported it to the Chinese government!The Chinese government got butt hurt over some words on a page few people look at anyway, then had a whinge about that to WG. WG instead of just changing the post as any normal person would do,instead just took our every Pan Asian country flag in the game ( I believe a few months later we got the option to get them back) and replaced them with generic one.

[TWR]
1,264 posts
4,750 battles
6 hours ago, 9mm1n said:

Of course,no problem for them to continue using the old hammer and sickle flag!

137 posts
9,232 battles

The first National flag for Australia was red that was changed in 1954 to the Blue Flag, But all our ships fly the Red flag by-law.

If I could pick my ship's flag in would be ' The Eureka Flag ' the fighting aussie flag

• Cool 1

177 posts
16 hours ago, Area51P41 said:

The first National flag for Australia was red that was changed in 1954 to the Blue Flag, But all our ships fly the Red flag by-law.

If I could pick my ship's flag in would be ' The Eureka Flag ' the fighting aussie flag

The "Eureka Flag" is probably the worst example of an Australian representative flag as it has been used by both extreme right and left wing groups, the worst include white nationalist groups, anti-immigrant and neo-Nazi groups. Its sad they have tainted the image of this historical flag as it doesn't belong to any of them but still it is about as taboo now as the US Confederate flag is in America.

As for the 'Australian Red Ensign' (ARE) this issue was raised already in post #6 and I refer to my answer to this in post #7. There is a lot of misinformation about the use of the ARE, including a famous painting of the opening of the Old Federal Parliament Building in 1927 with the building covered in AREs which is known to be incorrect. As the Australian National Flag (ANF), the blue version, was not readily available to the public, many soldiers took their own AREs with them when they went to war but the blue ANF has been our proper national flag since 1903 (well a slightly different version of it). Below is a link from the National Library of Australian of a 1915 booklet commemorating the victory of HMAS Sydney over the SMS Emden at the Battle of Cocos on 9th November 1914, as you can see below on the cover the flag is the blue ANF.

HMAS_Sydney.jpg.99698cb8ace91d395b6829c9e0283d9c.jpg

http://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-37908807/view?partId=nla.obj-37908810#

Edited by ShaddowAU
  • Cool 1
  • Angry 1

4 posts
18,027 battles
3 hours ago, ShaddowAU said:

The "Eureka Flag" is probably the worst example of an Australian representative flag as it has been used by both extreme right and left wing groups, the worst include white nationalist groups, anti-immigrant and neo-Nazi groups. Its sad they have tainted the image of this historical flag as it doesn't belong to any of them but still it is about as taboo now as the US Confederate flag is in America.

As for the 'Australian Red Ensign' (ARE) this issue was raised already in post #6 and I refer to my answer to this in post #7. There is a lot of misinformation about the use of the ARE, including a famous painting of the opening of the Old Federal Parliament Building in 1927 with the building covered in AREs which is known to be incorrect. As the Australian National Flag (ANF), the blue version, was not readily available to the public, many soldiers took their own AREs with them when they went to war but the blue ANF has been our proper national flag since 1903 (well a slightly different version of it). Below is a link from the National Library of Australian of a 1915 booklet commemorating the victory of HMAS Sydney over the SMS Emden at the Battle of Cocos on 9th November 1914, as you can see below on the cover the flag is the blue ANF.

HMAS_Sydney.jpg.99698cb8ace91d395b6829c9e0283d9c.jpg

http://nla.gov.au/nla.obj-37908807/view?partId=nla.obj-37908810#

Immigration is working really well in Melbourne ?

[HMNZ]
364 posts
5,531 battles

Flags? who cares!

When I'm shooting at you I certainly don't look at the flag and go "woo hoo, sink an aussie!!". I'm there to either sink you or help you. :Smile_izmena:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[HMAS_]
2,005 posts
13,972 battles
33 minutes ago, Otago_F111 said:

go "woo hoo, sink an aussie!!"

Yes you do,  ADMIT IT !!

You new zealanders try to do it to us in rugby, warships & everything else you can....

You even have more sheep than us !! :Smile_trollface::Smile_trollface:

You love to give us the fern any time :Smile_veryhappy:

Don't tell porkies.

Ordrazz

Edited by Ordrazz

[HMNZ]
364 posts
5,531 battles
33 minutes ago, Ordrazz said:

Yes you do,  ADMIT IT !!

You new zealanders try to do it to us in rugby, warships & everything else you can....

You even have more sheep than us !! :Smile_trollface::Smile_trollface:

You love to give us the fern any time :Smile_veryhappy:

Don't tell porkies.

Ordrazz

ahh, yeah nah ... yeah OK :Smile_teethhappy:

we will take the sheep, at least we left you with the spiders, snakes, jelly fish and every other thing that moves wanting to kill you :Smile_trollface:

[CLAY]
1,915 posts
10,342 battles
2 hours ago, Otago_F111 said:

Flags? who cares!

When I'm shooting at you I certainly don't look at the flag and go "woo hoo, sink an aussie!!". I'm there to either sink you or help you. :Smile_izmena:

You’re just jealous that there are no Kiwi ships in game. Did New Zealand even have any ships in WW2?

Sign in to follow this