Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Stormcloak_Rebel

Suggestions for heavy cruisers at T 7/8

15 comments in this topic

401 posts
3,047 battles

I mostly play the BB line and am currently having a blast grinding the USN BBs but I'm running a little low on credits rn and I'm in desperate need of a cruiser to grind some credits / and to advance in the Yamamoto campaign.  As a BB driver, I think im better off with a heavy cruiser than a light one...I dont mind if she's got no torps.. it's not like I'm trained to use it anyway!  I've got my eyes on Wichita and PE but I can't decide if its the right tier for me.

Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. 🙂 

Edited by Stormcloak_Rebel

[TDA]
ST Coordinator
5,595 posts
7,373 battles

A few reviewers have come out and said if you want a heavy cruiser then the Balti is a better ship than the Wichita.   As for the Prinz Eugen it is meant ot be a pretty good ship.

• Cool 1

[TF44]
[TF44]
268 posts
18,227 battles

IMHO Prince Eugen is the pick of the TVIII premium cruisers. Being a BB player, you could also consider the Graf Spee at TVI.

The Baltimore and Admiral Hipper are good TVIII tech tree Heavy Cruisers.

• Cool 1

[CLAY]
2,667 posts
12,031 battles

I know that Atago has always been a solid T8 CA. Though AA might be a bit weak in current meta.

• Cool 1

[TF44]
[TF44]
268 posts
18,227 battles

I thought of the Atago however it requires an individualistic play style.

The other ships mentioned above would better suit a BB player.

• Cool 2

401 posts
3,047 battles
2 hours ago, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

A few reviewers have come out and said if you want a heavy cruiser then the Balti is a better ship than the Wichita.   As for the Prinz Eugen it is meant ot be a pretty good ship.

I also saw a video review of Wichita, looks like her broadside armor is of a light cruiser's and her low HP/no heal might cause problems in a heated situation. 

[TF44]
[TF44]
268 posts
18,227 battles

Wichita was built on a Brooklyn(CL) hull. The hull had some additional armour however most of the extra weight was absorbed by the increased hull dimensions and the 3 x 203mm turrets.

The Baltimore class hulls were also derived from the Brooklyn Hull. However they had an additional 3000 kg of armour (28%). The Baltimore class had better main armament and secondary armament. This is reflected on the in-game ships.

[BLESS]
1,158 posts
10,361 battles
4 hours ago, Stormcloak_Rebel said:

I mostly play the BB line and am currently having a blast grinding the USN BBs but I'm running a little low on credits ...

I was curious to know how far up the BB tech trees you'd got and to see how much experience you had playing cruisers. So I looked up your stats.

Oh wow. 

Half your games are in Scharnhorst. I suppose you converted the ship XP earned to free XP to get Musashi, and also to blow past the USN and KM BB line to T7 and T9 respectively. You have 20 cruiser games to your name, most in Dallas where you managed a 45% WR on 11 battles.

It pains me to add you have a 35% WR on Gneisenau after 65 battles. 33% on Bayern. In fairness it seems you are a competent Bismark captain, but whatever: stop being a wallet warrior. Go back to T5-7 or even T4-5 and learn how to play cruisers.

You will not make credits by buying a T8 cruiser. You will just die in the first five minutes of battle, lose battles, and repeatedly be called out as a noob in chat by annoyed team mates.

Edited by Rina_Pon
  • Cool 1

4,528 posts
8,629 battles

I agree that with @Rina_Pon that you should play low tier first (start with 5-6), especially with a ship type that clearly you aren't familiar with.

And @Rina_Pon, calm down :Smile-_tongue: More people playing cruisers the better for this game.

• Cool 1

401 posts
3,047 battles
42 minutes ago, Rina_Pon said:

I was curious to know how far up the BB tech trees you'd got and to see how much experience you had playing cruisers. So I looked up your stats.

Oh wow. 

Half your games are in Scharnhorst. I suppose you converted the ship XP earned to free XP to get Musashi, and also to blow past the USN and KM BB line to T7 and T9 respectively. You have 20 cruiser games to your name, most in Dallas where you managed a 45% WR on 11 battles.

It pains me to add you have a 35% WR on Gneisenau after 65 battles. 33% on Bayern. In fairness it seems you are a competent Bismark captain, but whatever: stop being a wallet warrior. Go back to T5-7 or even T4-5 and learn how to play cruisers.

You will not make credits by buying a T8 cruiser. You will just die in the first five minutes of battle, lose battles, and repeatedly be called out as a noob in chat by annoyed team mates.

I suppose you converted the ship XP earned to free XP to get Musashi,

Close but no, I got it off Arsenal in exchange for coal. She's just terrific! 

It pains me to add you have a 35% WR on Gneisenau after 65 battles. 33% on Bayern.

I dont bother myself over win ratios, blame it on bad teammates or MM. For every 10 battles I play my team tends to lose 6-7 of them. even though the odds are in our favor...strange! 😕   So I focus on causing more damage/weakening powerful ships so the other surviving cruisers can finish them off. 

blow past the USN

no i didnt, I just skipped Wyoming and S Carolina cause they're REALLY REALLY bad, I know this because I used to play them in my old WG account.  

Whoa now I know you're a cruiser main but there's no need to exaggerate. 

Edited by Stormcloak_Rebel

[BLESS]
1,158 posts
10,361 battles
2 hours ago, Stormcloak_Rebel said:

I dont bother myself over win ratios, blame it on bad teammates or MM. For every 10 battles I play my team tends to lose 6-7 of them. even though the odds are in our favor...strange! 😕   

I... no wait. ... I .... you can't really?  If you meant that sarcastically and you do actually understand it's your fault your teams always lose ... that means you don't care. Which is worse that just not realizing.

I just skipped Wyoming and S Carolina cause they're REALLY REALLY bad

Wyoming... bad?

And if you only skipped those two, how do you explain getting Gneis after only like 7 games in Bayern?

Eh,.. do whatever you want, Prinz Eugen probably has the lowest skill floor of the T8 premium cruisers. and you'll get good at it eventually.

401 posts
3,047 battles
5 minutes ago, Rina_Pon said:

I... no wait. ... I .... you can't really?  If you meant that sarcastically and you do actually understand it's your fault your teams always lose ... that means you don't care. Which is worse that just not realizing.

Well, It's not really my fault that a majority of teammates push through enemy territory and get killed in less than 10 minutes before backup arrives.  This happens a lot at T8-10 😐  

Wyoming... bad?

Yes.  It's very sluggish and has a shotgun-like aim.   

And if you only skipped those two, how do you explain getting Gneis after only like 7 games in Bayern?

Bayern has awful dispersion and those shells tend to float around and lose their intensity as the distance increases.  Bayern's only redeeming feature is her strong armor scheme, else it is mediocre for her tier. I also had some  FXP lying around that I wasn't saving at the time so I thought why not skip her?

On a side note,  I've seen Giulio Cesare perform better than most T6 BBs  

Eh,.. do whatever you want, Prinz Eugen probably has the lowest skill floor of the T8 premium cruisers. and you'll get good at it eventually.

Thanks for your input. I'll have to do some research on KM cruisers

[BLESS]
1,158 posts
10,361 battles
1 hour ago, Stormcloak_Rebel said:

Well, It's not really my fault that a majority of teammates push through enemy territory and get killed in less than 10 minutes before backup arrives.  This happens a lot at T8-10 😐  

Yes this happens a lot at T8-10 because you don't understand how to play T8-10 games: BBs closely support DDs and CL. CA closely support BBs. A BB that can't manage to get into position before the game is half over is useless, literally, because by that point the match outcome is usually already decided.

52 posts
20,807 battles

I'd suggest Alaska as it closely resembles bb-play, grinds credit easier, and is able to finish Yamamoto campaign..

But somehow I feel like I'd be scolded for mentioning a T9 premium.

Edit: I thought about it, no good prem CA on T7.. and then there's prinz and atago. But their ability to grind credit is questionable at best.

Edited by pradityan
  • Cool 1

401 posts
3,047 battles
16 minutes ago, pradityan said:

I'd suggest Alaska as it closely resembles bb-play, grinds credit easier, and is able to finish Yamamoto campaign..

But somehow I feel like I'd be scolded for mentioning a T9 premium.

Edit: I thought about it, no good prem CA on T7.. and then there's prinz and atago. But their ability to grind credit is questionable at best.

Why would you be scolded, everyone is welcome to express their views on a message forum :)

There are a lot of T7 prems on store but only a handful of them stand out...and they're not cruisers lol. 

You're right about Alaska though, the transition is much easier if you're only accustomed to BB play style 

Sign in to follow this