Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
I_am_stupid_so

Am I the only one having problems with Mogami after 8.0?

11 comments in this topic

20 posts
6,811 battles

As mentioned in the title, I'm having trouble playing Mogami effectively after the implementation of new CV mechanics. Mogami has awful AA and bad range, so in many T10 games with CVs where the entire enemy team stays back, I am stuck sailing around with nothing to do as if I go forward I get spotted and fired upon by almost everything which out range me. If I stay back my main batteries cannot reach. 

Of course there are some ships like the US CA/CL which have similar main battery range, but they boast effective AA and defensive fire which can much more effectively repel CV attacks, or heal and smoke like the Edinburgh, Mogami does not have those, and even with Defensive AA equipped the performance is lackluster. Cruisers in other nations with weaker AA (though still MUCH better than IJN Cruiser AA) often times have 17KM+ batteries at T8, so I really feel like after CV rework, in games with CVs Mogami is quite adversely affected. Atago doesn't suffer to such a degree because she has heal and can afford to make some mistakes... not so with Mogami.

Edited by I_am_stupid_so

[AN-DO]
626 posts
9,304 battles

I'm still doing ok in Mogami, or at least I think I am. There aren't that many CVs in high tier games, so it shouldn't always be a problem. I see it as just like getting a map or game type that doesn't suit your ship, sometimes it happens and you just have to play the best you can. I had a great game the other day in Mogami, no CV and the other team was not great at all, I was sitting in the middle of the B cap on tears of the desert laughing at how poorly positioned I was, but nobody bothered to shoot at me, they were distracted and clearly not looking at their minimap. A few games before that I got up-tiered on ocean, and basically ended up as a target for yamatos to punch holes through. the best solution to that is rudder shift module and a bit of luck. I got a big potential damage score before going for a swim.  There are very few boats that are true all-rounders so you just have to try and adapt to the situation. Also bare in mind that the tweaking of the CV rework is ongoing so you might find things have changed again in a few updates.

[BLESS]
967 posts
9,184 battles

Now that Ibuki got buffed, and with more CVs in randoms, IMO Mogami is now the weakest IJN CA tier for tier.

I share your pain. But I normally just play Atago instead.

[CLAY]
2,288 posts
11,033 battles

Most T8 cruisers suffer for being uptiered. And Mogami does not have the beneficial tricks that other T8 cruisers have. Mogami just has its two gun choices, and good torpedos (can Mogami still stealth fire torps with full stealth build?). Which are less useful against T10s and 9s than heal, good AA, smoke, speed boost, long range, etc...

[TF44]
[TF44]
233 posts
16,876 battles

Yes, the Mogami can fire torps without getting spotted. It is a small window (500m) and takes a bit of positioning. The Mogami isn't great for such manoeuvring with a 750m turning circle & 5.7 sec rudder shift when fully upgraded.

The Mogami is certainly the poor cousin among the T8 cruisers. Either 155mm guns with slow reload and snail-like traverse or 203mm guns with slower reload and improved but still slow traverse.

• Cool 1

20 posts
6,811 battles

I've been playing Atago as well and just started playing the Mogami again after the 8.0 update (2 games) before I posted. I find Atago fares much better against CVs just because she can heal. All the other T8 cruisers have some sort of gimmick that helps them against CV spotting and doing damage... Mogami... not so much.

Both games were at T10 with 2 CVs on each side and I really could NOT do anything at the start of the game as if I push forward I get spotted, if I hide behind island in a forward position I'd still get spotted by CV and if I stay back a bit more the entire enemy team is out of range. I ended up just sailing around trying to reposition constantly for the first 5+ minutes without doing a single damage which kind of sucked. I only got my first damage mid to late game when enemy kitakaze tried to cap and smoke and I torped it.

Being up-tiered is fine in my opinion as long as you play it smart, but with Mogami after CV rework, in CV games you can only play it safe, meaning you get a lot less chances to do damage if the enemy or your team doesn't push.

Edited by I_am_stupid_so
  • Cool 2

[REPOI]
Super Tester_
1,084 posts
19,407 battles

Before the rework I averaged about 140k damage per game in the Moagmi, but now I only average around 120-130k damage. This is a statistically significant difference and should be picked up by WarGaming. I'm hoping there will be buffs. 

20 posts
6,811 battles

I'd like them to buff Mogami as well... Not something absurd, but make it so she has a bit of an easier time facing CVs. They can even do nothing with the Mogami but instead make it so CVs can effectively defend friendly ships like how CVs used to use fighters for area denial and defense.

I find it stupid that CVs with aircraft cannot do much to counter enemy aircraft which was supposed to be one of their major roles.

Edited by I_am_stupid_so
  • Cool 1

[FISH]
405 posts
31,243 battles

Mogami needs 1 km more main battery range as a mimimum. Even T6 cruisers like Budy and Nern with 152-155 mm guns have 1-1.5 km more range than mogami. That's ridiculous.

Mogami also needs its main gun reload for 155mm guns buffed by 1.5s (currently 10s).

There's no reason for Chapayev to have have 8.5s for same caliber (1 extra turret easily compensated for by 12 km radar and way more range) and Hipper with 203 mm guns and 2 km+ more range AND 1/4 HE pen having only 1.3 s more reload than mogami (11.3s)

Edit: no clue what the 203s need, I don't use them.

Edited by Pervis117
  • Cool 1

[TLS]
3,496 posts
19,113 battles

Mogami is fine within its own tier. It is when it gets uptier it performs poorly because of i) range ii) RoF ii) flimsy armour. IJN ships (and to some extent USN) ships in the older lines need to be "rebalanced" as they were originally balanced for USN vs IJN.

In wows, two things are important: RoF and can you hit the ship from your position. If RoF AP doesn't work, change to RoF HE. RoF allows you targeting refinement. Mogami doesn't have range and it becomes even more glaring at T9/10. That is why many people say 155mm Mogami is superior because it takes advantage of RoF. Actually, this can be summarized as: CAN YOU HIT THAT SHIP OVER THERE? RoF and Range factor prominently. Dispersion as well.

The best way to balance underperforming ships is to stop this +/- 2 tier crap.

• Cool 1

20 posts
6,811 battles

Before CV rework, Mogami did fine IMO as the planes moved slower and were harder to control for many people, not to mention that the planes only does one attack run then returns to ship. Mogami could therefore more often use its stealth to do hit and run tactics. But since old ships aren't worth the time because they don't bring in moneh.... I doubt WG will be rebalancing the IJN line anytime soon.

Sign in to follow this