Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Zergling_man

Public shaming of the support system

2 comments in this topic

1 post
20 battles

Strap in for a mildly long read. Here is, with only the absolute bare minimum annotation, the transcript of my discussion with the support, starting from the email I received notifying me of an unauthorised mod violation.

Ok, here we go. Firstly, on the 20th of Feb, 2019, from no-reply@wargaming.net:

Dear player!
	We have detected that prohibited World of Warships client modifications have been used on this account. Please refrain from using any forbidden modifications in the future. Repeat violations will first lead to a temporary suspension of a violating player's account, and, subsequently, to a permanent ban should a violation be detected again.
	To make sure that your game client is "clean", uninstall the game and delete the folder it was installed in (by default, C:\Games\World_of_Warships) to prevent any of the forbidden modification files from corrupting the new installation. After that, reinstall the game. We encourage players to use only the pre-approved modifications available on the World of Warships official forum.
The effective World of Warships modifications policy is available at (https://forum.worldofwarships.asia/announcement/28-wows-game-modifications-rules-and-regulations/)

The email continues with instructions on how to reinstall the game on all supported systems (Win 7, 8 and 10).
After that, it picks up here:

Please refer to Player Support (https://asia.wargaming.net/support/en/products/wows/) if you need assistance with uninstalling and/or reinstalling the game. Be mindful, however, that Player Support will not specify the reason for any warning, suspension and/or ban issued.
	Some of the useful applications that are safe for use are listed below:
	    Visuals: Nvidia GeForce Experience, AMD Crimson.
    Communication: Skype, TeamSpeak, Discord.
    Streaming and recording software: Open Broadcaster Software, Windows 10 Game DVR.
	Play fair!
Regards,
World of Warships Team.

Later the same day (which is somehow regarded as "one week ago" by their internal ticketing system), I created ticket number 117540905, with the following contents:

So-called unauthorised "mod".
I can assure you my client is 100% stock. I got it from the official source and installed it, and did nothing to it.
The email notifying me said that the reason for the warning wouldn't be given by support, but that's ok because I know exactly what tripped it: wine.
I'm playing on Linux and it actually runs pretty well. And I'm getting warned for that. Thanks, great way to encourage me to play.

Shortly after, with no notification, my ticket was closed (with no option to reopen) with the following response by Thomas Livingston:

Dear Captain,
	Thank you for contacting World of Warships Support.
	You have received the first warning for the use of illegal modifications.
	An investigation was performed on your account and you were found to be in violation of the EULA. You can read it here:
	Wargaming.net EULA [http://legal.na.wargaming.net/en/end-user-licence-agreement/]
	12.1.10 and 12.1.11 the EULA:
	"- 12.1.10 using any unauthorized third party programs, including hacks, cheats, scripts, bots, trainers and automation programs that interact with the Resources in any way, for any purpose, including any unauthorized third party programs that intercept, emulate, or redirect any communication between the software and Wargaming and any unauthorized third party programs that collect information about the Game by reading areas of memory used by the software to store information;
- 12.1.11 developing and using any software designed to modify the Game client and change gaming experience (mods) unless expressly permitted by Wargaming".
	We would like to take this time to kindly request that you please remove any third party modifications from your game client that may be considered unfair to other players. Please note that there is no mistake in the given penalty.
	Please note that continued use of prohibited mods will result in a permanent game suspension on your game account.
	To get informations about which mods are prohibited, please visit this page. [https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/142629-updated-modification-rules-11142017/]
	Please note that some old mods can still be somewhere in the game folder still causing some issues. So clean install is the only way to make sure that there is no third party software that may interfere with the game. For example, SweetFX, ReShade, ENBSeries, FXAA Tool that are normally harmless, can create extra .dll files in the game folder, that is why it is essential to verify their presence on your computer. The subsidiary risk is also mods that change script.zip file.
We thank you for your cooperation and understanding in regards to this matter.

On the 2nd of March, I decided to check back in, found it and read it. And immediately opened a new ticket (117656701) with the following contents:

I'm reopening ticket <a href="https://asia.wargaming.net/support/en/products/wows/my-tickets/117540905/">117540905</a> because it is blatantly wrong.
I will restate my situation: I am playing on Linux. I am not using any modifications at all. I installed the game from the installer I obtained from the official website. I have not done anything to alter it since, beyond installing necessary packages to make it run correctly.
I am not in violation of the EULA.
Wine is not a hack, cheat, script, bot, trainer or other automation program. It does not intercept, emulate or redirect any communication between the game and your servers. It does not collect information about the game by reading memory that it stores information in. (I am not certain it reads it at all, letalone do so to collect information.) Thus, I do not violate section 12.1.10
Wine does not modify the game client or change the gaming experience at all, except insofar as it fails to correctly mimic Windows' calls that lead to smooth performance and sensible rendering. This is very minor in WoWS though; I believe it's restricted to minor audio playback issues. (All of these things being issues you would experience with a weak or old computer.) Thus, I do not violate section 12.1.11.
	I will not be removing any third-party modifications that may be considered unfair to other players, because that first assumes that I have such things installed. I do not. I can't remove what was never present to begin with.
There is absolutely a mistake in the given penalty, please do not make bullshit claims thank you.
The comment about lingering mods is, again, completely irrelevant, as I have never installed any mods to begin with.

It was, again, shortly after - with no notification - closed, with the following response by Andrew Mayer:

Greetings Captain,
	All possible information regarding this case was already provided to you in ticket 117540905. Using of forbidden mods was confirmed on this account.
	However, some old mods that not even active may still trigger the system so the best way to uninstall the game and check if you have any programs on your PC that can cause similar issues with your game client. Programs in the list below use the same mechanics as ReShade (which is prohibited in World of Warships), ENBSeries, FXAA Tool, SweetFX and maybe one of them has become the reason of this warning. It’s not the full list however, but it may help in finding a way to solve the issue with your game client.
If you have any other issues please do not hesitate to contact us.

Thanks for the warm welcome to Linux players, WG.

Edited by Zergling_man

32 posts
747 battles

Are you using wine or some Windows virtual environment emu? Probably something is injected into the game to make it run and the game doesn't like that, probably detected an injection. Why not just dual boot?

Sign in to follow this