You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
TD1

[Suggestion] Torpedo Deceleration captain skill.

5 comments in this topic

523 posts
6,279 battles

Yep, its another one of my threads.

It dawned on me just now that we have Torpedo Acceleration (reduce torpedo range but increase speed) but we don't have Torpedo Deceleration (reduce torpedo speed but increase range). I would like for us to get a 2-point captain skill that is basically a counterpart to the Torpedo Acceleration skill already in-game, named (what else?) Torpedo Deceleration. The effects are:

+20% torpedo range, -5kts torpedo speed (inverse of the Torpedo Acceleration skill).

This would be helpful to any destroyers with fast but painfully short-ranged torpedoes. Sometimes, we don't even need those; destroyers that can barely stealth-launch can stealth-launch their torpedoes with this skill. Notably, Farragut and Jianwei would benefit nicely from this skill. Most of the Soviet destroyers bar the premiums and the Ognevoi-sub-branch of DDs can also benefit from this, due to their torpedoes being fast but painfully limited to 4km range. Granted, it still won't let them stealth launch, but at least it would be better than having to rush into 4km to even get a chance to use them.

What do you think?

4,231 posts
8,070 battles

What if a Shima take it and use 20km torps :Smile_hiding: Or Gearing's 16,5 km? No one recommends SE for any BB, but there are people who use that on their Yamato and GK.

While i've thought about the same concept (generally), I think it'd be very "unbalanced" (more or less) when it comes to ships like the entire German DDs line. With 90s base reload per set of tubes, they will become the bane of the ocean by the virtue of torpedo spamming and doing so outside of most radar ranges (except the Russian ones of course). They will become absolute bullies in caps with TRE and Torpedo Armament mod 3, something that they need buffs to become, but I don't want it to be a universal thing for all ships. 

Khaba does not need anything to do with torpedoes. The ship's concealment is atrocious (unlike Harugumo), gun range is insanely far and she also has Heal.

It'd be better if it's a "legendary upgrade" on Z-52, increases torp range by 3 km, brings reload time to 96s and decreases speed by 5 knots.

[CLAY]
2,295 posts
11,082 battles

You’d end up with a lot of cruisers which can suddenly stealth fire.

You’d also encourage those ships to use their torps more, meaning more chance of hitting an ally.

[AN-DO]
626 posts
9,319 battles

@Paladinum Khaba has terrible gun range, there is no point playing Russian gunboats anymore. that being said the torps would need a huge buff to actually be useful.

523 posts
6,279 battles
28 minutes ago, Grygus_Triss said:

You’d end up with a lot of cruisers which can suddenly stealth fire.

You’d also encourage those ships to use their torps more, meaning more chance of hitting an ally.

1 hour ago, Paladinum said:

What if a Shima take it and use 20km torps :Smile_hiding: Or Gearing's 16,5 km? No one recommends SE for any BB, but there are people who use that on their Yamato and GK.

While i've thought about the same concept (generally), I think it'd be very "unbalanced" (more or less) when it comes to ships like the entire German DDs line. With 90s base reload per set of tubes, they will become the bane of the ocean by the virtue of torpedo spamming and doing so outside of most radar ranges (except the Russian ones of course). They will become absolute bullies in caps with TRE and Torpedo Armament mod 3, something that they need buffs to become, but I don't want it to be a universal thing for all ships. 

Khaba does not need anything to do with torpedoes. The ship's concealment is atrocious (unlike Harugumo), gun range is insanely far and she also has Heal.

It'd be better if it's a "legendary upgrade" on Z-52, increases torp range by 3 km, brings reload time to 96s and decreases speed by 5 knots.

@Grygus_Triss: It's gonna happen anyway; idiots, or people like me who have an idiot moment, will at one point hit a teammate with torpedoes (I pulled that off when my Atago's torpedoes hit a Jervis (luckily he didn't die).... then the other torpedoes that I launched went downrange and devstriked the enemy Gnevny I was aiming for anyway).The skill merely increases the occurrence frequency of this, and I personally think it's a worthwhile offset.

@Paladinum: The slower torpedoes should, IMO, offset this. After all, there's a reason Sims' Bliss-Leavit torps (the slow, long-ranged ones) aren't really considered good torpedoes despite their long range; they're too slow (and too weak when they do hit, but that's not the main point of contention here). Torpedo spamming outside of detection/radar range isn't that problematic for me (the Kamikaze with their fast long-range torpedoes being the sole exception), because of how easy it is to dodge them (if you knew it was coming and had room to maneuver) and the presence of hydroacoustic search should be able to curtail stealth torp spam a bit especially with the speed loss my captain skill brings.

Edited by TD1