You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Make_Scenario_Great_Anew

WOWS WIKI needs update

20 comments in this topic

1,421 posts
16,868 battles

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/World_of_Warships

This wiki is very helpful,especially to new players.

But AA mechanism has changed since 0.8.0,the AA values need to be updated.

Also I've seen Chinese version of this wiki,but only few pages.

I can help translate those pages.

How to sign up for that?

[AN-DO]
Beta Tester
1,561 posts
5,499 battles
3 hours ago, MatterCore said:

WG staff

But WE too have the knowledge to edit. Why bother with them?

[CLAY]
2,674 posts
12,106 battles

It looks like anyone with an account can log in and edit it. Though you could try contacting the mods as a courtesy to make sure they’re cool with it.

[TDA]
[TDA]
Alpha Tester
2,211 posts
8,387 battles
10 hours ago, LawrenceXVIII said:

But WE too have the knowledge to edit. Why bother with them?

5 minutes ago, Grygus_Triss said:

It looks like anyone with an account can log in and edit it. Though you could try contacting the mods as a courtesy to make sure they’re cool with it.

This is great news dangerous.

A meddling troublemaker can adjust things to make the information false.

Imagine looking up the wiki and finding out that Shimakaze has a 30 sec smoke reload and is invisible to radar.

• Funny 1

[AN-DO]
Beta Tester
1,561 posts
5,499 battles
4 hours ago, AntifoulAwl said:

Imagine looking up the wiki and finding out that Shimakaze has a 30 sec smoke reload and is invisible to radar.

Well, you could let only Veterans do it just like you or Ralph or Drakon or whatever it is.

I can do it but lazy and have no time.

Edited by LawrenceXVIII

[CLAY]
2,674 posts
12,106 battles
4 hours ago, AntifoulAwl said:

If you get all the way to T10 and are still gullible enough to trust the wiki blindly rather than check the stats in-game...

• Bad 1

[G_R]
410 posts
18,300 battles
2 minutes ago, Grygus_Triss said:

If you get all the way to T10 and are still gullible enough to trust the wiki blindly rather than check the stats in-game...

As the OP said its useful for new players who would trust it.

[CLAY]
2,674 posts
12,106 battles
8 minutes ago, Grimnar42 said:

As the OP said its useful for new players who would trust it.

And as I said "If you get all the way to T10"

You think a T10 is a new player?

Now, I know this doesn't fit into the current discussion, but I was replying directly to @AntifoulAwl and his comment regarding the Shimakaze. Doesn't mean that you can't mislead new players if stats on lower ships are messed with, and If AntifoulAwl has used, say, the Minakaze as an example, I may have agreed with him.

But I would figure most people looking at the shimakaze page woiuld be because they just got one and want to outfit it, in which case, I would not call them a 'new' player.

They would certainly have enough experience to know roughly what the ship can and can't do.

[TDA]
[TDA]
Alpha Tester
2,211 posts
8,387 battles
52 minutes ago, Grygus_Triss said:

The meat of what I was saying is that having randoms input into the wiki could lead to disaster.

It wouldn't take much for an irate player (and there seems to lots of those lately), bent on destruction, to totally mess the whole wiki up.

I was merely using Shima as an example. I could have used any ship.

Now, I'm going into battle in my Hashidate which has 200mm guns and concealment of 1 km.  :Smile_trollface:

[AN-DO]
Beta Tester
1,561 posts
5,499 battles
Just now, AntifoulAwl said:

The meat of what I was saying is that having randoms input into the wiki could lead to disaster.

It wouldn't take much for an irate player (and there seems to lots of those lately), bent on destruction, to totally mess the whole wiki up.

Now, I'm going into battle in my Hashidate which has 200mm guns and concealment of 1 km.  :Smile_trollface:

I want a Kamikaze with less than 0.5 KM and 410 Nagato tons of main gun.

4,542 posts
8,643 battles

There are 3 reasons (to me at least) that they need to update their wiki:

1. It's WG's official wiki for many of their games. It's their job to keep it updated, full and correct.

2. So I have a quality source that I can go to instead of third-party or player-maintained sites that may or may not provide correct information.

3. So I can check ship stats without taking full minutes to log in the game. Or from a computer/phone that doesn't have the game.

• Cool 4

[TDA]
[TDA]
Alpha Tester
2,211 posts
8,387 battles
22 minutes ago, LawrenceXVIII said:

I want a Kamikaze with less than 0.5 KM and 410 Nagato tons of main gun.

YOU have the power to create that stat!    :cap_book:

[AN-DO]
Beta Tester
1,561 posts
5,499 battles
1 hour ago, AntifoulAwl said:

YOU have the power to create that stat!    :cap_book:

But WG has the power of a Hammer Muh mate!

• Cool 1

[CLAY]
2,674 posts
12,106 battles
1 hour ago, AntifoulAwl said:

I think even novice players will soon work out concealment and gun sizes.

What can really mess them up is recommending manual control secondaries on a DD. Or the like.

• Cool 1

1,421 posts
16,868 battles
5 小時前,Paladinum 說:

There are 3 reasons (to me at least) that they need to update their wiki:

1. It's WG's official wiki for many of their games. It's their job to keep it updated, full and correct.

2. So I have a quality source that I can go to instead of third-party or player-maintained sites that may or may not provide correct information.

3. So I can check ship stats without taking full minutes to log in the game. Or from a computer/phone that doesn't have the game.

Also it's the reason for whether buy a certain Premium ship or not, especially in 0.8.2 we can't see Premium on Tech Tree,but on Armory instead.

• Cool 1

[AN-DO]
658 posts
9,706 battles
On 3/3/2019 at 7:10 PM, LawrenceXVIII said:

Well, you could let only Veterans do it just like you or Ralph or Drakon or whatever it is.

I can do it but lazy and have no time.

Yes, I vote we force the veterans to do the work for us! It would actually be amusing to read Ralphs dry summary of a ships pros and cons, I pretty sure all Drakon could do is recommend using detonation flags on every ship.

As a side note, I presonally think the wiki is useful and not just for new players, I check it to find out about premium boats and possible loadouts. I also check it to see boats in the pipeline but I read the Russian wiki for that since it's more up-to-date and comprehensive, but not everybody is Russian or can read it so I think it's important that the English one is up to date. If only WG devoted as much time to improving the game and resources like the wiki as they spent on coming up with ridiculous space ships for holidays that nobody (or only one country in the world) actually celebrates

[NFB]
1,335 posts
14,029 battles

I thought there was a WG employee working on the wiki? With the number of ships, it is quite a task to maintain.

The wiki is a good starting point for new players, of new ships. I generally look at the wiki when I unlock a new ship.

For a new line it also makes sense to look up the ships of higher tiers, so you can train a captain correctly for the higher tier ships.

I would be reluctant to give everyone access. Look what people do here on the forum.

From a technical point, they should go to a multi-language content management system. Then they have to do the formatting only once, simply translate the text.

[AN-DO]
Beta Tester
1,561 posts
5,499 battles
8 hours ago, blauflamme22 said:

Yes, I vote we force the veterans to do the work for us! It would actually be amusing to read Ralphs dry summary of a ships pros and cons, I pretty sure all Drakon could do is recommend using detonation flags on every ship.

As a side note, I presonally think the wiki is useful and not just for new players, I check it to find out about premium boats and possible loadouts. I also check it to see boats in the pipeline but I read the Russian wiki for that since it's more up-to-date and comprehensive, but not everybody is Russian or can read it so I think it's important that the English one is up to date. If only WG devoted as much time to improving the game and resources like the wiki as they spent on coming up with ridiculous space ships for holidays that nobody (or only one country in the world) actually celebrates

Yeah. For me i can volunteer to help but i have no time because i have to help my parents every damn day without any free time to do editing, plus there are some ships that i have no knowledge of it as i am a BB/CV main which i know a-lot of those 2 classes.