Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Rina_Pon

DD things : how to win at high tiers

17 comments in this topic

[BLESS]
964 posts
9,174 battles

Played 7 DD games, rotating between Sims-Fletcher-Gearing.  WR 100%.

It was really boring most games, and while my overall XP score varied it was on average unexceptional.

The strategy was constant, and simple: Don't die.

Step 0. Lay smoke for friendly ships at a useful firing position near cap.

Step 1. Tease out the enemy DD into overextending. My teammates take care of him.

Step 2. Cap.

Step 3. Derp around for the rest of the game, finishing off any severely wounded enemy ships with gunfire, while sending enough torps downrange to force remaining enemy ships to stay defensive. Always stay between my team and the enemy ships, providing smoke as needed.

No YOLO heroics. Risk is taken up strictly on the basis of need. Aggressiveness is set by how many radar ships are in play, and how many CVs. If each cap is held by at least 2 radar ships, there is just no point in doing anything but spam torps at max range and waiting it out.

Waiting. That's pretty much DD life in a nutshell. Thankless and unrewarding. But it wins games.

• Cool 4

[SMOKE]
1,495 posts
14,078 battles

And that exactly is why DD and CL players are not really happy about the game , each and every ship should be allowed their fair chance of score, kill, damage deal, damage received, and likewise .. but for WG its always just the big  guns ( and now CV ) .... balance ... sorry they buff everything but the light force ... so yeah for DD right now the primary task is to stay alive and all else secondary, but of course all the BB, CA etc won't have it, they want you out to spot for them, to cap, to screen for enemy ... OH but they are not close enough to give close support ... its developed to a game where the big guns do theirs and the light force do theirs and very few teamwork between the two , and even less trust between them

Edited by Mechfori
  • Cool 2

[TLS]
3,496 posts
19,113 battles

It is sad now that you have to choose between survival or winning. The way I feel now is that there is no clear plan as to how they are balancing the game. It looks like a complete mess, particularly when they are attempting to balance old line, new lines and upcoming lines all in one shot.

Unfortunately I sound pessimistic here but that is the reality.

[FISH]
405 posts
31,243 battles
10 hours ago, Rina_Pon said:

Step 1. Tease out the enemy DD into overextending. My teammates take care of him.

There's the glitch in the plan xD

Not the team mates you get in this server in my experience.

• Cool 2

[UWU]
533 posts
5,092 battles

Personally i played and love playing the shimakaze this is how i feel about DD thesedays with CV

There are so point in this game like its not even toxic or can3333r not even fustration its just depression you know

1. I spot enemy team
2, I cap & torp,
3. Torpedo screening , and occasional DD screening 
4. Push enemy out of campy spots

your work is very important you either get reported or just someone feeling happy doing damage because u are doing everything and they don't know
smoking urself to protect yourself you get scolded for not spotting.
you risk your life and find opportunities and push into enemy position and messes up their camping spots but your team decides to drag their feet and doesnt take the opportunity to farm enemy where as you are figuring out how to exit next
( typical bad planning on my part but it significantly help the game most of the time)
the worst i seen probably are radar cruisers or those light cruisers just focus easier harder and slower targets like BB isntead of shooting at enemy dd to protect you the DD that is risking their lives

there was just 1 game that made me really depressed this is what happened.
Atlantic, spawn north side 
Went and cap B no contest, spot enemy fleet in mid going to A,

Went to C to cap since my other DD isnt doing it,
after Cap threw torps went back to B.

Saw an opening to enemy cv, pushes it, torp enemy retreating from C
------------------------------------------(this is where it went down the drain all my work)-------------------------------

friendly CV drops fighter on me even i was safe and not spotted

enemy fleet in C focus on my position , enemy baltimore from A closes in to radar....

Dead......

TLDR so playing DD it feels
REALLY terrible and depressing for me but i still play my shimakaze because if its not me who else would do that job, i need to practice my shimakaze against players so i can play it for my friends i play with
even playing it with them its still depressing sometimes especially when most of them are disgusted by DD doing DD things (smoking up themselves to prevent DYING) you knoe.....

there are some things in this game that you need to be on that thing to understand.

• Cool 1

[BLESS]
964 posts
9,174 battles
4 hours ago, dejiko_nyo said:

It is sad now that you have to choose between survival or winning.

No no, survival winning.  The thing is for DDs is that winning /= scoring. (or even having a fun game)

Edited by Rina_Pon

[BLESS]
964 posts
9,174 battles
2 hours ago, Pervis117 said:

You have to reel in the target close enough. Then you should find they'll light it up like the fourth of July. Everyone loves shooting DDs.

[LBAS]
1,514 posts

welp, I (shimakaze) risk my life spotting enemy while enemy CV and Radar ship risk nothing spotting me...

some time I lucky didn't die, but teammate around me are all die...

[SMOKE]
1,495 posts
14,078 battles
1 hour ago, Rina_Pon said:

No no, survival winning.  The thing is for DDs is that winning /= scoring. (or even having a fun game)

And there is another problem ... when CV can stay safe from  backseat and spam attacks, BB can long range salvo and even cruisers can maintain a ( relatively ) safe distance, DD had to be in close proximity to even get in torp and gun range and once in that range its simply too dangerous to stay for long ... in short they are not given their fair chance to score ... which almost  everybody else had. Really the solution is there but of course WG would not do it cause they are all just Big Gun mentality ... that means giving the DD back their stealth and their ability to strike from stealth  ( but then of course all the BB and CA cry fault and then how do you get CV and Radar to balance on that )

for DD players, it can be a fun game but then it usually end quick or it can be a boring game but you stay alive and none of them actually deliver a fair chance for attack runs against the others ... seriously I think the whole torp range ( for all DD ) need both buffing and a total revamp ( just like guns can choose between HE and AP , torp should allow for player to hot choice between long range / low speed / lower detection and high speed / short range / higher detection vs their standard set parameters ) .. many of the DD set parameters also do not ring well with reason, say for the 150mm guns on German DD, why should they be of the same range as their 128 which clearly they should not be. Why is that Udaloi having a torp range less than the precedent T8. so many of such ... in and among all branch of DDs

and no surviving do not equate winning either, it equate more possibility to do something constructive alright but that does not mean its always there , right now the game mechanism practically penalize DD and to an extent CL

• Cool 1

[FISH]
405 posts
31,243 battles
2 minutes ago, Mechfori said:

And there is another problem ... when CV can stay safe from  backseat and spam attacks, BB can long range salvo and even cruisers can maintain a ( relatively ) safe distance, DD had to be in close proximity to even get in torp and gun range and once in that range its simply too dangerous to stay for long ... in short they are not given their fair chance to score ...

Its unfair.

However, one can either wallow in the sense of injustice or one can spec their Kitakaze and Haragumo for 17.4 km range and yeet on these static bb cowards from distances they cant possibly reply at xD

Torp damage is a thing of the past. All my dds now maximise range and reload, even Yugumo and Akatsuki.

[UWU]
533 posts
5,092 battles

still maximizing range is double edge especially for IJN DDs that have poor gun performance 

38 minutes ago, Pervis117 said:

Torp damage is a thing of the past. All my dds now maximise range and reload, even Yugumo and Akatsuki.

[SMOKE]
1,495 posts
14,078 battles
32 minutes ago, ShiraYukira said:

still maximizing range is double edge especially for IJN DDs that have poor gun performance 

and if a core gameplay element are play out in such a manner that it cannot do its duty, then it tells you that the game play balance and mechanism is totally in need of a revamp .. or there is something grossly wrong about it or likely both

Edited by Mechfori
  • Cool 1

Beta Tester
360 posts
7,460 battles
13 hours ago, Pervis117 said:

Sounds to me like 7 games of lucky MM. I have days like that too and then I have days of... glue sniffing teammates.

[TLS]
3,496 posts
19,113 battles
8 hours ago, Mechfori said:

and if a core gameplay element are play out in such a manner that it cannot do its duty, then it tells you that the game play balance and mechanism is totally in need of a revamp .. or there is something grossly wrong about it or likely both

This is exactly what wg should be prioritizing on top of their 'todo list'. But no. Trivial things are on top.

• Cool 1

4,203 posts
8,055 battles
8 hours ago, Mechfori said:

See? WG/Lesta need to close down their Balancing Department.

[FISH]
405 posts
31,243 battles
23 hours ago, ShiraYukira said:

Half right- Poor turret performance but amazing shell performance. 

All the torpboat shells can have anywhere from 8-11 % fire chance depending on your spec and signals. In the current meta Im doing more fire damage with the torpboats than with torpedo alpha. And flooding, already rare, just had its effects severely reduced.

Main gun reload in my Yugumo is 4.5 s. 

Sign in to follow this