You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Rina_Pon

Advice for a new Gearing...

10 comments in this topic

[BLESS]
972 posts
9,195 battles

My first impression, much like most new Gearing players I suspect, is of a klutzy Fletcher. Not bad, but not obviously better either.

List of improvements over Fletcher, these are all that I can think of:

• more health
  • six guns, four guns fire forward
  • long range torp upgrade available
  • a 21mm armor plate amidships

Downside includes T10 MM, additional maintenance costs, slower top speed, less maneuverable. AA is the same. The base torps are the same. Gun stats are the same.
Captain is standard 14pt PT,PM,LS,SE,SI,CE. Running DFAA 'cause you have to.

My first few games I did ok, but worse I think than I would have done in Fletcher... 

Screenshot (545).png

Edited by Rina_Pon

[TLS]
3,507 posts
19,142 battles

Some T9 dds perform better than their t10 counterparts despite their lower health and dpm due to their manoeuvrability and stealth. Fletcher and Chung Mu comes to mind. Basically they are more suited to their dd roles. 

[LNA]
2,005 posts
12,695 battles

I like gearing better since it has a 3x2 arrangement. That's much better fire angles when you don't want to expose broadside ( many times really ).

Although Gearing gunnery is quite weak compare to other dd overall, it does its job well when smoked up.

Also , since it can get fletcher torp option , it is definitely an overall upgrade , just not as notable as other line.

I hate the speed as well , but the better guna arrangement allow you to bite while still staying relatively safe.

4,217 posts
8,070 battles

16,5 km torps + TA?

What a horrible advice...

Edited by Paladinum

[BLESS]
972 posts
9,195 battles
24 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

16,5 km torps + TA?

A valid option, though I don't have the skill points right now and when I do I'll have to choose between TA or AR.

It works out to ~12.4 km, 73 knots I think... pretty scary.

4,217 posts
8,070 battles
Just now, Rina_Pon said:

A valid option, though I don't have the skill points right now and when I do I'll have to choose between TA or AR.

It works out to ~12.4 km, 73 knots I think... pretty scary.

13,2 km, 71 knots, 1,4 km detection range. Avoid ALL DD-detecting radar in the game.

[TLS]
3,507 posts
19,142 battles

TA Is good because although you get shorter range, it is still plenty. Besides straight line lemmings and pure luck, how often are your max range torps going to hit something? IMO, gearing is jack of all trades but master of none. Which does make it flexible in CB.

[PIO]
3 posts
8,149 battles

had same thoughts 3 years ago when i unlocked gearing.....still played fletcher. Got gearing much later for clan battle but from then i loved this ship....only thing i changed was trop spot cap skill bcoz of its "size"....since then this ship is one of my favourite also available with 10.5 km  torps like fletcher. AA is also good with respect to the current CV meta. 

In short give it a try....it will first feel like a downgrade from fletcher but once you understand the strengths of this ship you will love it...definitely more than fletcher

1,158 posts
11,077 battles

Gearing has kinda suffered from power creep in recent times.

It's still a good DD but really needs the legendary upgrade to be competitive, especially since Shima got a detection and guns buff recently.