You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
BunnyDragon

Stock CV tips for under tiered?

6 comments in this topic

[911]
490 posts

Requesting tips for CV when playing stock and under tiered. 

My current ship is IJN T8 with stock everything. 

No, I am not going to use Free XP to upgrade, so don't bother suggesting I do so. I believe that the only way to learn how to ship the ship is from stock and work your way through.

Currently, I just learned how to aim, but can't get a strike through even against lone ships as all my planes are shot down before or shortly after dropping their load.  I need all the planes in the strike to get 1 drop off, if I'm lucky. 

Any way to work on this besides just go after dd? 

(Yes, I target 'weak' aa ships, like Ibuki or Izumo or the like. Still only get 1 strike off before lose planes.) 

[-ISO-]
998 posts
6,121 battles
14 minutes ago, BunnyDragon said:

Currently, I just learned how to aim, but can't get a strike through even against lone ships as all my planes are shot down before or shortly after dropping their load.

IMO, that's the hardest part of CVs right now. You have to practice dodging flak walls a lot in order to master it.

32 minutes ago, BunnyDragon said:

Any way to work on this besides just go after dd? 

If most of your enemies have strong AA potential power, You last option is DD or lonely idiot players who drives their ships into destruction.

34 minutes ago, BunnyDragon said:

(Yes, I target 'weak' aa ships, like Ibuki or Izumo or the like. Still only get 1 strike off before lose planes.) 

When you are engaging a completely untouched ships or ships that has powerful AA, Use rocket planes to destroy their AA mounts. When you are sure that the enemy's AA mounts are getting weaker, you can use torpedo bomber or dive bomber. You can also rely on your teammates who use ships that frequently use HE shells such as cruisers. Finally, practice makes perfect. I hope you'll get used to her soon.

[LNA]
2,005 posts
12,688 battles

Prioritize :

For US flat top: prioritize divebomber, then tiny tims , then hvar then torp last after hull upgrade.

Prioritize speed and durability boost for planes.

For IJN : torp , then divebomber then rockets and hull last.

Prioritize stealth and durability boost.

Tips :

For US, learn how to use tiny tims. They are very powerful , a single hit still do 1k5 damage to dd and are strong against head on ship. It can also score 50% hit rate when aim at broadside when fully aimed in.

Your torpedo sucks , but are extremely effective to single out ship from a clustered group. Use it to spread ships so you have easy target to hits.

HE 1000lbs bomb are ludicrously powerful against any and all enemies, and they break a crapton of modules. Always cautiously use it because this is your main damage source. Empty some planes to avoid getting wiped out when attacking clustered group.

When bombing , prioritize striking ship behind island cover ( parking next to it) . use island to cover from AA and suprise him, then back out behind island again to avoid flak.

US CV are very powerful against exposed dd and bb , where their high hp and slow speed allow them to repeatedly pummel single target to oblivion. Always find singled out enemy to kill even if it take a long time avoiding AA to reach it. You can also stack fire by purposely waiting for enemy to use dcp before hitting again.

For IJN CV, learn to play mind game. Your long range torp allow you to channel ships into killing zones for allies by making them turn the wrong way. Always aim from long range into clustered enemy ship. When dropping , always mind to do cross torp from afar. Crossing torp from long range are very dangerous to camp fest in ASIA meta.

Smokes are also good torping target to flush enemy dd out.

Dont do in your face drop like USN do. Your speed and reach is key.

IJN AP bomb are quite special, they are mostly for finishing off dieing enemies and are not meant to be your main DPS. It is very useful for backstabbing camping ships. They cant do follow up due to low HP , and high speed which make you waste time return on target. Dont fly them on full health heavy AA enemy. Back stabbing using island then run away is optimal.

IJN rockets are your only choice of defence against DD like it or not. And it is quite weak compare to tinies or HVARs. It have a good aiming circle though, so your aim is less affected when the enemy is dancing.

IJN CV are the worst when you have to go dry and kill off things by yourself and are much worse at killing lolibotes. If the enemy keep their distance , then IJN is king and can slowly kill them off from long range. Always be aware of dd when playing IJN CV. You cant really bully them like USN CV can. So harrass and prevent them from pushing / sneaking as much as you can.

[RURI]
14 posts
2,286 battles

IJN CVs are pretty bad rn, especially T8 ones, but here's my guide. (my highest is T8 Shokaku, but I can do decently in T10 games, at least 50k) 

Torpedo bombers: 2 planes per strike, 6 squadron total, 7233 torp dmg (stock)
At 7k damage per torp, they have decent enough alpha. Generally, you would want to start aiming the moment you are in detection range of the target (7.5km stock), then fly straight for a while and manuever if necessary. You normally wouldn't want to use this against cruisers. Battleships are the best target to hit with these. Don't attack AA blobs, they will annihilate your puny stock planes. 

Against battleships: Aim the cone so that the edge is directly on its bow
Cruisers: The lead should be at least equal to half the target's length
Destroyers: If the DD is stupid, then it's possible, as long as you can see him and you create enough lead.

Dive bombers: 2 planes per strike, 6 squadron total, 6100 citadel dmg (stock)
Stock, they are mediocre at best. However, it's still possible to use them. Again, the best targets to attack are lone targets. With AP bombers, you need to take into consideration a lot of factors, such as bomb angle, deck armor and lead. When you start a strike, you don't necessarily have to be aiming over the ship. You can start it to the side of it, or the front of it. You can aim the reticle as the planes are engaging. Take note that bombs need time to reach the target, so you have to lead for movement.

BB: Aim the reticle in front of the BB. Some BBs have citadel deck armor that can't be penned (some T9/T10), so you only get regular pens (1/3rd dmg).
CA: Same principle, but the bombs may overpenetrate, so you might want to wait a bit on the run so the bombs get angled.
DD: Don't, but if you're really good at aiming and are content with overpens (1/10th dmg), go for it.

Rockets: 2 planes per strike, 8 squadron total, 2200dmg, 4 rockets/plane, max. of ~5808 per strike (1/3rd unsaturated HE dmg, all pens)
Lost a lot of usefulness since 8.0.3, but it's very hard to make them work with just 8 rockets. Do not manuever while the reticle is orange to make them accurate. They have less manueverability when the reticle is green, too, so, rip. You have to be moving in a straight direction just to get good salvos.

BB/CA: Aim straight at em, let them rockets rip.
DD: If already spotted, do the same as usual. If not spotted: When you get in detection range (~2.8km), drop fighters over them, and get some distance while you aim and the fighters spot. Only good for lone dds. If no fighters, just pass them and turn and aim before you detect them. 

Class priority: BBs > DDs > CAs > CVs 
Nation priority: KMS//French?/Russian?> IJN > RN > USN
You may be wondering why IJN is stronger, it's because they somehow got strong AA at higher tiers, (T8>) :/ 
Note that CVs are actually decent targets if you're uptiered, if you can survive fighters.

Sorry for the huge block of text.

[911]
490 posts

thank you everyone for the tips.

I am going to try them out soon. 

Hope I get gud or I'm going to go bankrupt from playing cv :cap_fainting:

[PAMAN]
9 posts
1,684 battles

Is it same using Hosho? At the early time (new gameplay) a managed to sink a few ships, but now is very hard to scratch even one ship.