Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Grygus_Triss

Fix CV Autopilot

18 comments in this topic

[CLAY]
2,295 posts
11,076 battles

Ok, WG have basically stated that we are stuck with the current controls for the actual ship part of the CV. Fine.

But seriously, FIX THE AUTOPILOT.

Almost EVERY TIME in Killer Whale, I see CVs going backwards, or in the opposite direction, or taking the wrong route, or crashing into islands, or charging forward or just taking their sweet time to make it to the end zone.

I haven't played new CV in Ops yet, but seriously, I've seen enough of other players. And in scenarios, good autopilot is a must, even on old CVs.

If CV autopilot is this bad, I'd hate to see it when they reintroduce Raptor Rescue.

Of course, it may just be the captain, and if that's the case, can WG just, for scenarios only, completely automate the route of the CV based on the optimum path a CV should take in those ops? I fail to see that it would be any worse than the current, and it has been shown that other players are already used to defending other ships in a convoy.

[TLS]
3,510 posts
19,147 battles
1 hour ago, Grygus_Triss said:

Ok, WG have basically stated that we are stuck with the current controls for the actual ship part of the CV. Fine.

But seriously, FIX THE AUTOPILOT.

Almost EVERY TIME in Killer Whale, I see CVs going backwards, or in the opposite direction, or taking the wrong route, or crashing into islands, or charging forward or just taking their sweet time to make it to the end zone.

I haven't played new CV in Ops yet, but seriously, I've seen enough of other players. And in scenarios, good autopilot is a must, even on old CVs.

If CV autopilot is this bad, I'd hate to see it when they reintroduce Raptor Rescue.

Of course, it may just be the captain, and if that's the case, can WG just, for scenarios only, completely automate the route of the CV based on the optimum path a CV should take in those ops? I fail to see that it would be any worse than the current, and it has been shown that other players are already used to defending other ships in a convoy.

Actually its more of they don't plan where to park their cv from the beginning. Luckily for me, my old parking techniques still works so no island ramming. But it does mean you have to be extra careful. Plus your team can ruin thing by obstructing your path. Also, if your minimap is max size, you can properly autopilot in the south east portion.

[UNRYU]
7 posts
1,559 battles
2 hours ago, dejiko_nyo said:

Actually its more of they don't plan where to park their cv from the beginning. Luckily for me, my old parking techniques still works so no island ramming. But it does mean you have to be extra careful. Plus your team can ruin thing by obstructing your path. Also, if your minimap is max size, you can properly autopilot in the south east portion.

I don't think park ur cv to the endgame is good idea because even CV need to go to exit.

[MRI]
3,067 posts
14,037 battles

I have died a few times, both in Scenarios and Randoms, thanks to the autopilot screwing up.

One instance I remember was near the end of the Newport Scenario, I moved to park my CV behind the repair ship. It moved too far and went out of the repair zone and in view of one of the enemy ships. No matter, I can just reverse with the autopilot, so I set the waypoint just behind my ship, like less than one square behind. But for some reason the autopilot decided not to reverse but to move forward, out of cover, to try and do a full 180 degree turn. No surprise what happened next.

Doesn't help that the autopilot is easily screwed up by teammates obstructing your path. In fact, just today I died because of this. I had just dodged some CV torpedoes so was forced to move through a pretty sizable gap between some islands. It wouldn't have been an issue had a teammate not just sailed by and caused my autopilot to beach my CV in a position where I was showing full broadside to 2 enemy ships. Good thing my team was already winning so my death didn't mean too much.

WG says the autopilot is fine. Yeah it is fine if you just hug the map border all day I guess.

• Cool 1

[ULAG]
909 posts
9,784 battles

What's odd is we can't even zoom in vertically to precisely put the waypoints as we could before. We didn't even necessarily need this feature before unless we absolutely had to rely on autopilot(because you could "steer" your ship -_- ). Whereas, now when we absolutely need that feature, it is gone because no more overhead view.

I guess it's just part of the "Making CVs more accessible" thing!:Smile_sceptic:

Edited by _TAMAL_

[TLS]
3,510 posts
19,147 battles
4 hours ago, Thyaliad said:

But for some reason the autopilot decided not to reverse but to move forward, out of cover, to try and do a full 180 degree turn. No surprise what happened next.

I would rather trust the Empyreal ones to reverse for me instead of autopilot.

• Cool 1

[CLAY]
2,295 posts
11,076 battles
6 hours ago, Thyaliad said:

WG says the autopilot is fine. Yeah it is fine if you just hug the map border all day I guess.

True, Autopilot is fine in random, you don’t need fine control, or even to keep up with your team. But in operations, you have to follow your team, or you’ll find enemy ships spawning on top of you, or just be horribly out of position and it takes your squadrons too long to reach enemy. Especially bad in Killer whale where your actual ship NEEDS to be at the end zone (because you cannot always rely on your team to do it).

I really fear what will happen when raptor is reintroduced. The controls were bad before the rework anyway, and they look to be worse. You stand to lose a lot of potential damage because you may have to steer ship directly instead of operating squadrons.

Of course, in raptor, there should be an option for your cv to just be auto controlled to follow the existing convoy.

• Cool 1

4,231 posts
8,070 battles
7 hours ago, _TAMAL_ said:

I guess it's just part of the "Making CVs more accessible" thing!:Smile_sceptic:

MORE IRONY!!!

I "love" this CV rework!!!

Edited by Paladinum
  • Funny 3

[ULAG]
909 posts
9,784 battles
4 hours ago, Paladinum said:

I "love" this CV rework!!!

Working as intended comrade...:Smile_trollface:

• Cool 1

Beta Tester
2,410 posts
7,238 battles

how can they fix autopilot, if they cant even make that auto collision prevention thing work. that thing is been there since Beta iirc, but i wasn't fixed yet.

clearly you are asking too much from WEEGEE.

[911]
490 posts

I've played cv in Killer Whale.

What happens is, about half way through, the auto pilot map turns into secondary target cursor. 

Can't use auto pilot to move anymore. It's not that they suck, it's the auto pilot totally not working. 

(On the plus side, this now lets your secondaries to shoot land targets such as fuel depots accurately through this. Also, shot the ocean due to feature as well. :Smile_trollface:

4,231 posts
8,070 battles
3 hours ago, yansuki said:

how can they fix autopilot, if they cant even make that auto collision prevention thing work. that thing is been there since Beta iirc, but i wasn't fixed yet.

clearly you are asking too much from WEEGEE.

All that programming was poured into making that automated consumable garbage, you know.

Edited by Paladinum
  • Funny 1

Beta Tester
2,410 posts
7,238 battles
44 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

All that programming were poured into making that automated consumable garbage, you know.

nah. they are busy making premium ship. clearly debugging cost money but wont make money in return. on the other hand, if they release new ship. it will give them lots of monnies.

4,231 posts
8,070 battles
1 hour ago, yansuki said:

nah. they are busy making premium ship.

And yet there isn't a single T9 German ship in the game yet.

Their plan is so messy it makes my life looks organized.

• Funny 2

Beta Tester
2,410 posts
7,238 battles
3 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

And yet there isn't a single T9 German ship in the game yet.

Their plan is so messy it makes my life looks organized.

i want another premium german ship too. i might skip alaska and stuff this time. i will probably save free exp for germans.

• Cool 1

4,231 posts
8,070 battles
1 hour ago, yansuki said:

i want another premium german ship too. i might skip alaska and stuff this time. i will probably save free exp for germans.

You.

I see you are a mensch of kultur as well.

I'm hijacking threads again so I'm out after this.

Edited by Paladinum

[CLAY]
2,295 posts
11,076 battles
24 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

'm hijacking threads again so I'm out after this.

Eh, its cool.

Sign in to follow this