You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
BunnyDragon

CV Aiming

23 comments in this topic

[911]
490 posts

How do you aim now?

I can't get the aiming circle to shrink when I want it to. How to do it? 

I think that the  mouse doesn't help you aim until after your first left click, but I don't know for sure as I can't get the aiming circle to shrink.

Does using boost to speed up or slow down effect the shrink of the aiming circle? 

I know using the A/D keys make it larger, but I know from playing with the mouse that it doesn't move the aiming circle, or as I mentioned before does it only move the aiming circle after you start your attack run?

Really struggling to make a difference with cv here.

Any ideas from those who've actually do more than 20k damage a match? (even against bots?)

I just broke that in Killer Whale today, but I don't know what I did right. 

[TDA]
ST Coordinator
5,593 posts
7,352 battles

Boost add speed and therefore makes you pass over a target quicker.  Only use it to move in or evade.  When you have targeted a ship you don't deviate your flight path while aiming and it will get tighter the longer you aim.  Add the captain skill "Sight stabilization" to increase aim time.  

0.8.0.3 has increased the aiming circle of attack planes when manoeuvring to a target to give the DD's a fighting chance.

• Cool 1

[TDA]
Super Tester_
426 posts
10,312 battles

Using S as an air break will make your aiming reticule smaller, but you need to have boost available to slow yourself down.

Also try to get your path to target as accurate as you can because slight adjustments will make the reticule larger.

• Cool 1

[911]
490 posts

Thank you two for your help in this.

7 minutes ago, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

Boost add speed and therefore makes you pass over a target quicker.  Only use it to move in or evade.  When you have targeted a ship you don't deviate your flight path while aiming and it will get tighter the longer you aim.  Add the captain skill "Sight stabilization" to increase aim time.  

0.8.0.3 has increased the aiming circle of attack planes when manoeuvring to a target to give the DD's a fighting chance.

5 minutes ago, Kamanah said:

Using S as an air break will make your aiming reticule smaller, but you need to have boost available to slow yourself down.

Also try to get your path to target as accurate as you can because slight adjustments will make the reticule larger.

But I already have sight stabilization, and I still have issues. I also use s to slow down.  

Can I microchange with the mouse after I start my attack run and before I shoot? Or is microchanging impossible now?

[MRI]
3,441 posts
14,839 battles

Any sort of deviation causes your aiming circle to stop shrinking. So you have to fly in a more or less straight line for it to shrink fully. Also the aiming speed depends on the CV you are playing. For example, the IJN torpedo squadrons start out with a very wide spread, but it relatively quickly. The USN torpedo squadrons take longer for the that spread to fully narrow.

Moving the mouse does cause your planes to turn, but only very slightly. An easier way to think of it would be the A/D keys cause the plane to bank via the ailerons, while the mouse turns the plane via its rudder. As you already noticed, using the A/D keys causes your aiming circle to bloom a lot, so use the mouse to make fine aiming adjustments when you are conducting your attack run.

If you are having trouble with the aiming circle, then it may be you are conducting your strike too close to the target and/or you are moving the planes around too much. Try to start your attack from further out to let the aiming spread narrow, and guesstimate where your target is going to be so you don't have to deviate too much and ruin your aiming circle.

Edited by Thyaliad

[TDA]
ST Coordinator
5,593 posts
7,352 battles

Get into a training room and actually see how long you can do an attack for.  Its surprisingly long.

[TLS]
3,931 posts
19,971 battles

I only have the following words to summarily describe the aiming system: pain in the ass.

741 posts
19,634 battles

Yeah, not buying these complaints. One of our guys is utterly ruining people in US CVs atm, it's disgusting.

[CLAY]
2,650 posts
11,999 battles
4 minutes ago, Bex_o7 said:

Yeah, not buying these complaints. One of our guys is utterly ruining people in US CVs atm, it's disgusting.

There will always be players who can pick up stuff faster and make ships work for them.

And CVs, old and new, will always be more difficult to master than the aim-lead-fire method of surface ships.

[911]
490 posts
12 minutes ago, Bex_o7 said:

That's most likely me. Sorry.

Why I'm on the forum, to get freaking help on this. 

5 minutes ago, Grygus_Triss said:

There will always be players who can pick up stuff faster and make ships work for them.

Not picking this up like I thought I was.

Will try out your suggestions in Killer Whale next time I play.

[LNA]
2,023 posts
13,245 battles

CV aiming is bugged and is quite dumb to say the least.

Divebomber aim circle will disappear ( in reality it is behind your back ) with certain speed setting before and during dive. There is no control over dive height. Sometimes it climb very high, other time it barely climb at all. There is no consistency.

Planes will refuse to aim when taking off before it launch atleast 3 planes animation , which is also stupid, since there is no indicator.

Rockets are now officially useless thanks to aimtime increase and dd air detect buff. Some dd will only be detected at 2.6km mark , which you cant set up an attack unless its a dive bomber. Even when you know its there you detect it too late to make fine adjustments. Not to mention if the internet is not good you wont see him until you pass his head moment.

Reeeeee

4,499 posts
8,614 battles
40 minutes ago, Bex_o7 said:

Some CV unicums aren't going to give up being CV unicums just become the gameplay got changed (drastically). Even if that guy isn't a CV unicum.

@legionary2099 the aircraft reticule (on whichever type of aircrafts) is 100% incomprehensible. I can make do in rocket and torp, but the reticule is the reason why I don't want to use bombers at all. Why is it that the flight reticule and attack reticule has a distance???

[LNA]
2,023 posts
13,245 battles
2 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

Some CV unicums aren't going to give up being CV unicums just become the gameplay got changed (drastically). Even if that guy isn't a CV unicum.

@legionary2099 the aircraft reticule (on whichever type of aircrafts) is 100% incomprehensible. I can make do in rocket and torp, but the reticule is the reason why I don't want to use bombers at all. Why is it that the flight reticule and attack reticule has a distance???

The reticle is the biggest sham of them all. It assume that when it finish aiming, you will be at that position. However it do not take into account your real speed, it is only accurate when you are not boosting or slowing, not to mention when you change speed , your altitude of jumping change wildly affecting the bomb aim.

Aim reticle also dont take into account time to impact of rockets. Sometimes you will miss rocket strikes because of this.

[TLS]
3,931 posts
19,971 battles
7 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

You're telling me. It's like RNG now whether it wants to work properly or not now. Remember I said peeves? This is another of them.

[TLS]
3,931 posts
19,971 battles
11 minutes ago, legionary2099 said:

Aim reticle also dont take into account time to impact of rockets. Sometimes you will miss rocket strikes because of this.

RNjesus working as intended. Taking the fun out of games.

Now it's like playing a UFO catcher game. Besides trying to hit the button, you have to worry about flak, timing, AA, blahblahblah. Definately will make cv more inaccessible than what it was before.

Edited by dejiko_nyo

4,499 posts
8,614 battles
13 minutes ago, legionary2099 said:

I can lead them (just like I lead shells) but sometimes the rockets hits below or above where the crosshair is. And I use Ryujo, which has a circle for a reticule, not an ellipse.

Irony? Irony.

[LNA]
2,023 posts
13,245 battles
1 minute ago, Paladinum said:

I can lead them (just like I lead shells) but sometimes the rockets hits below or above where the crosshair is. And I use Ryujo, which has a circle for a reticule, not an ellipse.

Irony? Irony.

How about the aim circle cover all of yamato ( im right on top of him ) all edges on him and somehow only 1 bomb hit. the rest go to the water surround him even though the circle sit neatly on his deck 100%.

Sometimes bug like these make me want to really quit this game due to randomness of the system.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[MRI]
3,441 posts
14,839 battles
9 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

I can lead them (just like I lead shells) but sometimes the rockets hits below or above where the crosshair is.

I find that happens a lot if the aircraft is flying over terrain. Islands really screw up the aiming reticle of rocket planes.

3 minutes ago, legionary2099 said:

Sometimes bug like these make me want to really quit this game due to randomness of the system.

Yeah I feel like flipping tables every time that happens. Whereever you go, whatever ship you use, RNG is a :etc_swear:.

[LNA]
2,023 posts
13,245 battles

Well , most WG is making CV much harder without any incentives for them to try harder. Take a look at this

My team 2x worcester manage to do this to CV. Is CV OP ? Far from it , when you look at how much planes they lost ( far more than old CV )

shot-19_02.24_21_39.53-0591.thumb.jpg.b6df66f1e54c5ac6cbe72300e8339710.jpg

[911]
490 posts

Thank you everyone for the tips on aiming.

Now I can actually hit ships and contribute to the team.

Now I have to work on lead and target selection. 

Good luck.