You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Rina_Pon

0.8.0.3 "Third Patch Lucky"

53 comments in this topic

468 posts
5,738 battles

We are happy to announce the release of the 0.8.0.3 update for World of Warships.

Changelog:
Update 0.8.0.3 will affect the interaction of carriers with destroyers, the "Fighter" consumable, and the individual balance of some ships.

Due to the good maneuverability and precise aiming even when changing direction of attack, Attack Aircraft are excessively effective against destroyers. The latter have almost no opportunities for counterplay, even with active maneuvering. Given the high speed, Attack Aircraft successfully repel destroyers from control points and, in the early stages of battle, force them to keep close to allies, so as not to suffer from airborne attack. Taking into account the above factors, we have reduced the effectiveness of attack aircraft against maneuvering destroyers, but at the same time preserved the main features of the planes. These changes will apply to Attack Aircraft of all CVs:

• Increased preparation time for the attack, which will not allow instant attacks on destroyers.
  • Changed the parameters of aiming: now planes get a large aim penalty when changing their direction during an attack and will not be able to accurately shoot rockets when maneuvering.
  • Maneuverability during the preparation for the attack and during the attack run is reduced, which will not allow Attack Aircraft to easily aim at a maneuvering destroyer if the approach of the attack was originally on the wrong vector.
  • Thus, the destroyer, which actively maneuvers and takes into account in advance the attack vector of the squadron, will be able to successfully dodge the attack. The interaction of attack aircraft with ships that do not change their course or, due to their  characteristics, cannot do it quickly enough, will remain at the same level.
  • Visibility of all ships from the air is reduced by 20%. This will reduce the reconnaissance potential of СVs at the start of the battle and will help destroyers to remain undetected for a longer period, provided that their AA is turned off with the help of the P key.
  • To improve the efficiency of the "Fighter" consumable, we changed its settings. Now, fighters quickly begin pursuing enemy squadrons in their area of influence.
  • Also increased cruising speed, increased the number of aircraft called by consumable on the squadron from 2-3-4 to 3-5-7, respectively.
  • We have also significantly reduced the hit points of fighters, which will emphasize their weakness against ships and low efficiency as an intelligence tool. In addition, the radius of patrolling fighters for squadrons has changed with tier progression: at tier VI it has been reduced to 2.5 km, tier VIII is unchanged, and at the X tier it is now 3.5 km.
  • Due to the excessive efficiency on account to the large number of torpedoes in the attack flight, the attacking potential of Midway’s torpedo bombers is reduced: their torpedoes have been replaced with weaker ones (the maximum damage is now 4233 instead of 5367) and the chance of flooding is reduced. Other parameters remain unchanged.

IMO this will address most of the residual issues. Which pretty much boiled down to "rockets suck and plane spotting is OP". As others have said, the changes will allow Minotaur and similar to stealth AA fire with the "P" key, trapping unsuspecting planes. Which is probably OP and will need a nerf, but apart from that everything looks pretty good. I'm thinking maybe we can see the light at the end of the rework tunnel now.

Fingers crossed.

[LNA]
1,765 posts
11,231 battles

IMHO, midway torpedo nefts are excessive. Before neft , it barely do any damage and flood is very rare.

Its only really useful for punishing loner in a corner ( which they rightfully deserve) or spread out congested area. Hitting a cruiser for 2 ~ 4k dmg is hardly wooing considering how slow and long aiming this is.

Rocket neft are well deserve though.

468 posts
5,738 battles
19 minutes ago, legionary2099 said:

IMHO, midway torpedo nefts are excessive. Before neft , it barely do any damage and flood is very rare.

I agree and it will be worse after the upcoming flood damage change. In general there's a real risk now of nerfing CVs into irrelevance.

The trick is making CVs fun to play while simultaneously making them somehow not incredibly annoying for everyone else to be around.

I think they should increase the strike damage, but reduce the frequency of successful strikes. Enough with being nibbled to death. That's annoying for the ships being constantly attacked, and unsatisfying for the CV.

274 posts
8,910 battles

Midway torpedo nerf ????? why tho.....
slow speed torpedo and plane, low chance flooding, only 5k damage alpha/torpedo.....
i dont know how much damage she can do with torpedo nerf ??? before nerf she barely damaging 2k~3k with this damage probably only 1k~2K....
no different than Tiny Tims..... kek
poor midway....
and its time to WG to re adjust AA power to non-AA speciality ship, it feels weird if non AA ship got AA as strong as AA ship....

Edited by Gesterbein

Beta Tester
722 posts
7,554 battles
1 hour ago, Rina_Pon said:

As others have said, the changes will allow Minotaur and similar to stealth AA fire with the "P" key, trapping unsuspecting planes. Which is probably OP and will need a nerf

Yup, this is going to be the biggest issue from the hotfix.

Having said that, most of the changes are pretty good.  I like the Rocket Fighters change, and combined with the 20% better concealment for DD's in particular, and the upcoming Radio Location removal, DD's will be fine now.

I think I'll be switching to DB's almost exclusively for anti-DD work, I already use them on DD's a lot now, but they do extremely good damage (Midway does a touch under 4k per bomb hit), they are just tough to aim.  When you get the hang of it they are much more rewarding than rockets though.  Tiny Tim RF's for anti-cruiser work will be the best use of them post-0.8.0.3 imo.

734 posts
7,123 battles

I think it is slowly getting there. Or at least to a point where most players will begrudgingly accept it.:Smile-_tongue:

I have always thought it odd, that since concealment range’s were changed a while back, while if you are spotted by a surface ship, it is in your range, the same does not apply to planes. I.e if a plane spots you, you are not necessarily able to shoot back at it. Of course, as AA is automatic, this would make it unfair to the planes.

Other than that, I feel the detection nerfs and vs. DD nerfs are needed. It still won’t stop planes from permaspotting DDs who don’t have the AA to repel them, but CVs have better things to do than that now. (Though I do like the idea of Ships spotted by planes not being targeted by allies, but I do not think that is needed with the current nerfs).

The problem has always been trying to get CVs to work with surface ships without them feeling like the unstoppable things they were historically. You want CVs to be able to deal reliable damage which increases with skill, but surface ships have to be able to fend them off, with effectiveness increasing with skill.

It feels easier to fend off CVs as of last patch, so this trend looks to be continuing, which, as a surface ship play ever, i’m Fine with. Though I may start to feel bad for CVs...

Anyway, Maybe if CV’s get nerfed enough, it will be a good arguement to have manual control of CV and consumables again. :Smile_trollface:

353 posts
2 hours ago, legionary2099 said:

Its only really useful for punishing loner in a corner ( which they rightfully deserve) or spread out congested area. Hitting a cruiser for 2 ~ 4k dmg is hardly wooing considering how slow and long aiming this is.

Are midway torpedos even good? Isn't midway doing pretty average for a ship anyway? (i.e similar damage to BB)

835 posts
5,533 battles

This CV rework is the biggest irony that ever happened to this game. Or at least, how they're handling it.

How to make CVs popular? By making CV gameplay harder and harder every patch/hotfix.

Even-tiered-only CVs is a garbage idea thanks to +2/-2 MM. Constantly buffing AA is not going to help CVs becoming popular. CV-summoned fighters are pointless. CVs now become as selfish as those damage-farming "sniper" BB players.

Automated consumables is also garbage, not just in the mechanic itself is garbage, but aslo in the way WG justified why they did it.

PS. Please close down forever the "Gameplay Balance" (or whatever) department, WarGaming. They are doing a horrible job.

Edited by Paladinum

8 posts
5,955 battles
4 hours ago, Rina_Pon said:

• Visibility of all ships from the air is reduced by 20%. This will reduce the reconnaissance potential of СVs at the start of the battle and will help destroyers to remain undetected for a longer period, provided that their AA is turned off with the help of the P key.

Bear in mind this will probably also affect aircrafts from consumables so yeah. This indirectly also slightly nerfed Battleships and Cruiser's spotting abilities too

Edited by Indiexanna

Super Tester
4,193 posts
4,738 battles
6 minutes ago, Grygus_Triss said:

Who keeps downvoting things? If you have a different opinion, please share and explain what you don’t like about ours.

Click on the vote and it will tell you who did it.

575 posts
15,730 battles
1 hour ago, Paladinum said:

This CV rework is the biggest irony that ever happened to this game. Or at least, how they're handling it.

Yes, the irony. If I took up cv now, I'd abandon it quickly. The only cv I am even *enjoying* now is my haku. In the old model, at least I learnt by watching the autodrops, then progressed to manual drops. Now... :Smile_sceptic:

654 posts
7,559 battles
1 hour ago, dejiko_nyo said:

Just make cvs flying asashios. Damage bbs/cvs.

This is actually a viable solution... instead of changing the meta by harassing DDs and spotting Cruisers, let CVs focus on BBs. BBs don't do anything meaningful anyway, they camp and farm dmg and occasionally whine about how terible their team is...:Smile_teethhappy: Now if CVs can force them to play close to the team for protection, then so be it...:Smile_trollface:

Edited by _TAMAL_

[151ST]
1,086 posts
5,239 battles

Still think the hammer is a bit on the sledgey side...

And thus I continue to wait...

(I'm waiting for the dust to settle before getting back into CVs).

I have no desire to play broken, OP ships or even UP for that matter...

Here's to hoping they eventually get it right!

468 posts
5,738 battles
4 hours ago, Grygus_Triss said:

Who keeps downvoting things? If you have a different opinion, please share and explain what you don’t like about ours.

Posting anything vaguely positive about the rework is a guaranteed karma burn. That's just where we are with this.

Beta Tester
722 posts
7,554 battles
1 hour ago, Rina_Pon said:

Posting anything vaguely positive about the rework is a guaranteed karma burn. That's just where we are with this.

It seems there are some very bitter serial down voters. 

Obviously they are unhappy with the rework, but I have to admit I struggle to understand why. I've been having fun in CV's since 0.8.0, I've been having fun in DD's, and in BB's (I don't play cruisers much so can't comment on them), basically the game seems completely refreshed. I haven't looked forward to playing each day as much as this in ages. 

Best of all, the absolute worst thing about the game, RTS CV's, no longer exist! No more do they ruin every single battle they are in. 

Of course there have been inevitable balance issues, they said before 0.8.0 that they had reached the limit of their ability to test on the PTR, and that the hotfixes would come quickly and regularly for the first patch or two, and they are doing exactly what they said. The hotfixes have been mostly sensible balance changes that are in line with community requests as well, although they have generally been a little on the heavy side imo. 

Basically things are progressing nicely, and the game is going to end up much more enjoyable for their effort. 

Given this is a positive rework post, I'm guessing it may earn a down vote or two (or ten)... Oh well. 

734 posts
7,123 battles
2 hours ago, Rina_Pon said:

Yeah, I tried being negative once. It was exhausting, achieved nothing and made me feel bad.

I feel much better trying to be positive, or using constructive criticism. I find that people are also likely to listen more to people who are positive, and giving a few suggestions, than people who just complain and say, “it’s stupid, change it back.”

Funny thing, when you stop being negative and finding problems, you start finding solutions and suddenly wonder why things were so bad in the first place.

At the end of the day, I want to continue to play WoWS, so I may as well try to be positive about it.

And I am prepared for downvotes by people who think that being positive about life is bad and that I should be negative, grumpy and miserable instead.:Smile_hiding:

Edited by Grygus_Triss

327 posts
4,069 battles
1 hour ago, Moggytwo said:

It seems there are some very bitter serial down voters. 

Obviously they are unhappy with the rework, but I have to admit I struggle to understand why. I've been having fun in CV's since 0.8.0, I've been having fun in DD's, and in BB's (I don't play cruisers much so can't comment on them), basically the game seems completely refreshed. I haven't looked forward to playing each day as much as this in ages. 

Best of all, the absolute worst thing about the game, RTS CV's, no longer exist! No more do they ruin every single battle they are in. 

Of course there have been inevitable balance issues, they said before 0.8.0 that they had reached the limit of their ability to test on the PTR, and that the hotfixes would come quickly and regularly for the first patch or two, and they are doing exactly what they said. The hotfixes have been mostly sensible balance changes that are in line with community requests as well, although they have generally been a little on the heavy side imo. 

Basically things are progressing nicely, and the game is going to end up much more enjoyable for their effort. 

Given this is a positive rework post, I'm guessing it may earn a down vote or two (or ten)... Oh well. 

I wish people on NA were this positive. No matter what WG does, if you speak positively about it, be prepared to earn at least one "downvote" or one "boring vote". It's as if the whole server there, barring people like Mouse, is intent on hating WG no matter what they do

At least, that's the vibe I get there.

322 posts
8,765 battles

As many had lready stated, their CV is now ll anti-DD so the balance hotfix might only relive some OP like the rocket attack but really do not help much ... the perma-spotting is only slightly touched on and I see no real difference in the updated game play especially for CA and BB ; the non sense of asking DD to keep their AA shut off is to me still a big issue cause by the time tha DD got spotted that DD would almost be having no way to counter the aerial attack still ( too little time too close ) ; its another case of basically saying that DD's AA practically do not work and this should not be the case.

My ( limited ) games with this hotfix is that it fix nothing ; DD still got constantly harassed and taken out of their game play, CA and BB still got perma spotted ( and anyone who care to contribute with their AA, be it the CL or DD ) .. they might be going the right direction but that did not take away the fact that its still not BALANCED at all. especially for those who play on the mid tier ships