You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Fear_the_Reaper

Domination ticket counter

16 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Domination ticket counter too short?

• Yes
    • No
    • I have not noticed
  2. 2. Would you have more fun playing domination with more points needed to win?

• More (Explain why in a comment)
    • less (Explain why in a comment)
    • I am unsure without trying it.
  3. 3. Would you prefer 2k cap points or the cap counters tick for less each second?

• 2k cap points would be nice
    • Ticking for less points each second would be nice
    • I like how it is now.

23 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

Something i have noticed a lot of people are annoyed about but no one has made a topic about is the Domination cap timers, Domination simply ends too early, my average battle time for domination is 10/20 minutes, meaning i have enough time to sail my ship to one of the cap circles, engage 1 maybe 2 or 3 enemies then the game ends because the caps time out.

it is just no fun, it feels like as soon as a battle starts in domination it ends prematurely.

I feel like a solution of either 2k cap points or lowering the cap ticks to half of what they are currently would solve this problem resulting in more fun to be had on domination maps.

Anyone else agree or have a difference in opinion or maybe a different solution?

Edited by Fear_the_Reaper

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

I think it is fine atm. People just need to realise that camping will result in a loss and that killing enemies isn't the only objective.

Remember, the same people who play world of tanks badly are now playing world of warships badly, thinking they will learn is fairly hopeful :P

Super Tester
2,725 posts

There should be neutral choice for this question, just saying. Can't enter my vote with question unanswered. 

Capture31.PNG

Edited by Mingfang47

Super Tester
2,725 posts

Fair enough, better?

Yup, thanks. Now you know my vote. hahaha

Back to the topic:

Can't find the issue with the Domination mode as it's really balanced on my view.

Capture & Hold the zones will get few points per 5 seconds(?), kill enemy will add points, losing allies will lose points. The mode doesn't require killing all enemies. The said mode is a race to win.

And for the nth time, the arcade settings of the game will make the players think & act fast as well as the battle if you don't act.

If you want longer game, there are "Not WoT" & "Not WoWp" that's why those guys created those game for. Just saying.....

Edited by Mingfang47

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

And for the nth time, the arcade settings of the game will make the players think & act fast as well as the battle if you don't act.

If you want longer game, there are "Not WoT" & "Not WoWp" that's why those guys created those game for. Just saying.....

I only made this topic because half of the replies on the topic to do with adding an extra 10 minutes to the battle timers were about domination cap timers being a much larger issue and i completely agree, so obviously the player base is divided on this one.

Alpha Tester
512 posts
308 battles

I think it is fine atm. People just need to realise that camping will result in a loss and that killing enemies isn't the only objective.

Domination games are over way too quickly, I've had games where I've done absolutely nothing because the the cap points built up faster than I could get anywhere, if you think that's a good example of game design you're in for a shock.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Much of the problem really lies with the map design for domination matches, really. Fault Line and Fields of Ice are the only two domination maps we have, and neither really incentivizes battleships from doing anything other than move on a set path from their spawnpoint to the western portion of the maps. It ties in with the battleship discussion we've been having elsewhere, where there's just some places on the map that is really unfavourable for battleships to go, and most of those points are the domination base capture areas (Bases B and C on Fault lines, bases A and B on Fields of Ice). The resultnis that battleahips either get splattered quickly from torpedoes or concentrated fire, or just mill around outside the base zones and throw desultory broadsides.

Edited by Syanda

Beta Tester
235 posts
783 battles

1) Without being a beta tester, just an audience; I do find it's short, as the main battle happens near the end, and when two ships are fighting it out, they don't have much of an option to end their fight, but the one who is sitting in the cap, takes the cap and wins.

So the points rock up, as the battles just get interesting.

2) As I just said for point 1; the points rock up and you get a non exciting finish to a game.. one way is to add more points required, and longer time to take the cap.

3) If the points were to increase, its to counter the boring finishes to most if not all matches; however, if the points were to stay the same, then possibility would be to decrease the amount of points per tick(second)

[ATLAS]
Beta Tester
465 posts
9,949 battles

just going to say, killing enemies actually did your team a favor because opponent team will lose points and your team will gain points, if it's possible to sunk any of the opposing side ships, do it.

but of course you still put capture as your priority 

Beta Tester
10 posts
652 battles

The battles are over far too quickly. I have had too many fun battles ruined because it is over in too short a time plus the real objective and fun part of the game is to destroy the enemy not race to a cap. So change it or get rid of it.

Alpha Tester
523 posts
217 battles

Domination games are over way too quickly, I've had games where I've done absolutely nothing because the the cap points built up faster than I could get anywhere, if you think that's a good example of game design you're in for a shock.

Pretty much this. But its not just a cap point speed issue, its the enormous points differential caused by sinking a capital ship. Considering the maps effectively force the BBs into a relatively fast engagement, in fairly cramped waters, its not uncommon to see one group fold, and thats generally the end of the game.

679 posts
3,549 battles

Any team with the majority of DDs has a clear and unfair advantage at Domination games.  Often by the time one team even begins to encounter the other side the counter is often already 500 to 700.  From this point no matter what occurs the game is over. Too many domination games are won in the first 3 mins because of game design mechanics.

Alpha Tester
39 posts
1,438 battles

I feel tat Island of Ice map nids reworking for domination mode.

Cap D is bgger than most cap

Cap A seems closer to north spawn

[PANZA]
Senior Moderator
820 posts
932 battles

Domination mode is fine. Players are just not grasping the concept, mainly players in Battleships, and to a lesser degree, players in Cruisers.
As I have said before : "The only problem is that players still need to learn that Domination mode means getting the bases capped or preventing them being capped. Too many BB's and to a lesser amount CA's steam around at max range trying to hit the other teams ships. CA's should get in and take care of capping DD's while BB's should steam closer and protect them from other CA's and the BB's. "

I even posted a video showing what I mean, here : http://forum.worldofwarships.asia/index.php?/topic/3747-aalgs-first-wows-video-nagato-domination-mode-islands-of-ice-map/

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

Domination mode is fine. Players are just not grasping the concept, mainly players in Battleships, and to a lesser degree, players in Cruisers.

As I have said before : "The only problem is that players still need to learn that Domination mode means getting the bases capped or preventing them being capped. Too many BB's and to a lesser amount CA's steam around at max range trying to hit the other teams ships. CA's should get in and take care of capping DD's while BB's should steam closer and protect them from other CA's and the BB's. "

I even posted a video showing what I mean, here : http://forum.worldofwarships.asia/index.php?/topic/3747-aalgs-first-wows-video-nagato-domination-mode-islands-of-ice-map/

Thats the problem, battleships just do not have a role in domination and you can not rely on team members to actually cap, going into a cap circle in a battleship is basically saying "I want destroyers to shoot torpedoes at me" so battleship drivers are left driving 15km around caps accomplishing nothing during the game, it is just not fun.

But then all that being said... we never get full teams, it is probably different with 15 people on each side (its 15 per side like WoT right?)

Edited by Fear_the_Reaper

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

Disagree Reaper - it doesn't have to go that way - I've had quite a few battles in domination mode where I've YOLO'd in my Fuso and half the team followed me - we ended up winning quite handsomely.  I was the bait and torpedo sponge, my team DD/CL clean out and away we went.

Not saying it happens all the time, but even a half switched on team that notices what the lumbering whale is doing will win 90% of the time.

Beta Tester
7 posts
1,832 battles

Ok, there are 3 different questions in this Poll but they all are about the same issue: There's not enough time to reset caps as it is now.

Basically this is due to slow ship speeds(for anything other than a destroyer),or because of rushing in gets you killed <--making the ticket difference worse.

[PANZA]
Senior Moderator
820 posts
932 battles

Thats the problem, battleships just do not have a role in domination and you can not rely on team members to actually cap, going into a cap circle in a battleship is basically saying "I want destroyers to shoot torpedoes at me" so battleship drivers are left driving 15km around caps accomplishing nothing during the game, it is just not fun.

But then all that being said... we never get full teams, it is probably different with 15 people on each side (its 15 per side like WoT right?)

Any BB driver who stays at 15 km from main target zones in domination mode, has not understood his role in domination matches. period.

Domination mode : get bases for a point lead, then focus on killing. DD's go in, followed by CA's. DD main role, cap, lay smoke shoot torps at big ships approaching the bases. CA's main role by following the DD's into or just outside the cap cirlces, is to provide cover for the DD's, by focusing on the other teams DD's and the other teams approaching CA's and BB's. BB's should close to around 12-10 km, and focus on approaching CA's first, and BB's secondly.

So ALL the classes has a role in domination mode strategy :

DD's cap, and deliver torps to offset approaching CA's approach and aims, and put down smoke to cover their own supporting CA's.

CA's protect the DD's as well as cap if feasable, deliver bigger guns to take/protect the cap.

BB's are the hevier hitters, that can grind down approaching big targets like CA's and BB's. Doing that from 15 km out is difficult, not so from 12-10-8 kms out.

In the vid i posted, you can clearly see that the only time I was further away than 10 km from the caps, were at spawn. Most BB's run far away after spawn instead of closing up to support.. Shells loose pen over range in WoWS. You do more damage with a hit from 10 km than from 16 km. Trust me. Less spread on your volleys as well, so when you land a volley on target, more shells hit.