You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Fear_the_Reaper

Is the battle timer too short?

Are battles too short?   

34 members have voted

1. 1. Should the time limit in battles be raised to 30 minutes from 20?

• Yes 20 minutes simply is not enough time for the battles to progress
    • No 20 minutes is plenty enough time for battles to progress.
  2. 2. Would you have more or less fun with more time per battle?

• More (Leave a comment explaining why)
    • Less (Leave a comment explaining why)

37 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

The higher i get in tier the more i feel like 20 minutes is not enough time for a battle in this game, at the moment 6% of my games are draws and most of them came from tier 7+ matches, games with tier 10 ships especially seem to time out regularly.

In my opinion an extra 10 minutes per battle would allow the games to progress further and be more fun to participate in considering the time it actually takes to engage a new enemy with the distances that need to be traveled.

Anyone else agree or have a difference in opinion or maybe a different solution?

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

Ever played Good Battle but always ended with draw?

That's one

To be honest all the draws i can think of have been within 2-5 minutes of ending when the clock ran out

the latest jingles video outlines that well even in a tier 5 match (The replay towards the end)

Edited by Fear_the_Reaper

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

To be honest all the draws i can think of have been within 2-5 minutes of ending when the clock ran out

the latest jingles video outlines that well even in a tier 5 match (The replay towards the end)

Draw is the Rare thing that happens in WoT

But... not this game

16% draw is quite laughable

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

I'm less annoyed by the battle timer and more of the domination ticket count. When battles end with a draw, it's usually an issue of the battleships on either side refusing to advance towards each other (like practically every freakin' Yamato captain I've seen), or a mutual holocaust resulting in a handful of damaged ships by the end of the battle. I do feel the battle timer could be a bit bigger, but the responsibility is for players on the team to remind each other how much time there is left in the battle. And also for the battleships to remember how bloody huge the maps are, how long it takes to turn and travel, and that corner-camping is generally a terrible tactic.

Domination ticket count though...1000 is really too little. Kind of makes games end just as they are getting good.

Alpha Tester
6,604 posts
2,477 battles

I'm less annoyed by the battle timer and more of the domination ticket count. When battles end with a draw, it's usually an issue of the battleships on either side refusing to advance towards each other (like practically every freakin' Yamato captain I've seen), or a mutual holocaust resulting in a handful of damaged ships by the end of the battle. I do feel the battle timer could be a bit bigger, but the responsibility is for players on the team to remind each other how much time there is left in the battle. And also for the battleships to remember how bloody huge the maps are, how long it takes to turn and travel, and that corner-camping is generally a terrible tactic.

Domination ticket count though...1000 is really too little. Kind of makes games end just as they are getting good.

Iceberg map make it worse (4 bases)

Beta Tester
3,033 posts
1,487 battles

Don't blame the Yamato people. Blame the bugged ship.

Super Tester
532 posts
1,052 battles

To be honest the reason why battles draw is because people aren't interested in actually fighting. Increasing the timer won't do anything, it is just going to be like everyone's favorite BBQ and Marshmallow map: Old Serene Coast.

In other cases, a certain game mode ends too fast (the one with multiple circles). That has always bugged me, not even getting to the fight yet, win.

Edited by ExESGO

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

I completely agree with you about the ticket counters synanda, im not 100% sure on what to do about it but either 2k cap points or making the counters tick 2 instead of 4 would definetly help a bit, domination matches average 10 out of 20 minutes for me. i might start a topic on that while im on the forums, may as well.

Already in Alpha Testers
300 posts
938 battles

Reload  times, hitpoints and engagement ranges all increase going up the tiers which encourages the game to be much more drawn out. Also maps get bigger so any advantage in speed of vessel is negated. The net result is that domination games are over too quickly and cap the enemy base mode ends in a lot of draws.

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

Reload  times, hitpoints and engagement ranges all increase going up the tiers which encourages the game to be much more drawn out. Also maps get bigger so any advantage in speed of vessel is negated. The net result is that domination games are over too quickly and cap the enemy base mode ends in a lot of draws.

Well said, anyone know if something is being implemented? surely they are discussing it on the EU forums?

Super Tester
2,725 posts

20 minutes is plenty already, the average battle to finished would be around 12 minutes on full team. Battle ends early or not if one team do well against the enemy team. And battle draws if both team are camping & hiding.

Increase the battle time, and I will go suicide run with my ship if both team camping too long. Seriously.

[SIF]
Senior Moderator
2,563 posts

Remember, we are CBT, they will change things, such as the timer, making it longer or shorter, until the find the sweet spot.

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

Remember, we are CBT, they will change things, such as the timer, making it longer or shorter, until the find the sweet spot.

yeah i know, just thought id throw it out in the pool seen as we are BETA testing afterall :P we are trying to find things we think could be improved or at least that is my understanding of a BETA test.

20 minutes is plenty already, the average battle to finished would be around 12 minutes on full team. Battle ends early or not if one team do well against the enemy team. And battle draws if both team are camping & hiding.

Increase the battle time, and I will go suicide run with my ship if both team camping too long. Seriously.

Then as you keep telling me play a different game like world of tanks which progresses quickly because this game does not especially at higher tiers :P

the only reason most battles finish in 12 minutes is because most are domination and the caps time out before anyone has a chance to recapture them, standard battles at high tier regularly time out because the ships have longer ranges and the game encourages you to keep your distances while fighting as you can keep your ship alive by dodging shots at lets say 14km where as at 6km you are getting hit by every shot the enemy fires toward you and you can only return fire as a defense.

If the games are timing out without full teams as often as they do now imagine how often a tier 10 match is going to time out once there are 15 ships on each team lol.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

I'm convinced the battle timer is fine. The reason why it seems too short is because players have this incredible aversion to getting within 10km of enemy ships unless the enemy is outnumbered 4 to 1.

This results in a lot of turning away and ending up in corners, and before you know it, there's 7 minutes left on the clock with each team on the opposite side of the map from each other, while it takes several minutes to even get to an enemy base, let alone capture it.

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

I'm convinced the battle timer is fine. The reason why it seems too short is because players have this incredible aversion to getting within 10km of enemy ships unless the enemy is outnumbered 4 to 1.

This results in a lot of turning away and ending up in corners, and before you know it, there's 7 minutes left on the clock with each team on the opposite side of the map from each other, while it takes several minutes to even get to an enemy base, let alone capture it.

i still say the game would be much better with an extra 10 minutes, the fact that it takes nearly 10 minutes to get from your starting position to where ever it is you first decide to take your ship reinforces that for me, not to mention the fact that if you need to travel across to the other side of the map that takes another 10 minutes..

Its not like we are dealing with small distances in this game and its not like it is in any way fast paced, i have said it more than once, the game is half if not less than half the pace of world of tanks, world of tanks has 15 minute game times, this tells me world of warships should have double that..

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

On most maps, BBs reach firing range of enemy targets within 5 minutes from a dead stop. Hell, enemy detection usually occurs a minute into the game, by two minutes, a carrier player can have the entire enemy team's positions mapped out. By 10 mins, aggressive, coordinated teams can and will reach 5km of each other and be able to engage one another decisively.

However, all this assumes that captains don't move to hold the range open at 10-15km which is what a ton of BB captains do. Because of this, they're still stuck in their base periphery on both sides 10 mins into the game. More often that not, this results in either a draw where both sides decline to fight each other until its too late, or one team breaks through on one side of the map while the rest of the team is stuck on the other side because instead of turning inwards to close the range, they turn outwards and hold the range open and end up in the map corners.

EDIT: 
Just had an aggressive team on a domination match. Detection at 1min 03 second. Opening fire on targets within 2 mins into the game. team advanced halfway across the map in 5 mins. I was killed at 7 minute mark, after 13 hits, 3 citadel hits, 5 critical hits, 1 fire caused and one enemy ship sunk, halfway across the map while engaging enemy targets within secondary battery range. 10 mins into the game, my team has broken through one flank while other flank collapsed, half dead on each side, but enemy ships are running from our main force. All ships are still firing and engaging each other, including managing to ram each other. With 8 mins left on the timer, the match is mostly resolved.

The length of the battle timer isn't the issue. The players are.

Edited by Syanda

Beta Tester
8 posts
285 battles

Count me as another dissenting voice to the OP.

Large maps with good terrain cover, that's what this game has (I like that, though). The longer the timer, the more it will encourage people to be jerks by cruising around the islands to avoid detection and/or line of fire with the intent to deny the enemy any meaningful engagement. The result will be time pointlessly wasted ; the winner was going to win, the losers were going to lose. Except with a longer timer, the latter could go "na na na na! You can't get a kill outta me, the last remaining ship! You've got to wait it out until the end!" more than ever.

This happens in WoT, too.The last one or two remaining units of the losing team, usually SPGs and Light Tanks, would just sit on their bums behind cover, with improved camouflage as the winning team wants to mop up. It then becomes a stupid and frustrating goose chase, especially on densely covered, mountainous maps.

No. Just...no.

Edited by chronolumina

Senior Moderator
4,798 posts
1,924 battles

Count me as another dissenting voice to the OP.

Large maps with good terrain cover, that's what this game has (I like that, though). The longer the timer, the more it will encourage people to be jerks by cruising around the islands to avoid detection and/or line of fire with the intent to deny the enemy any meaningful engagement. The result will be time pointlessly wasted ; the winner was going to win, the losers were going to lose. Except with a longer timer, the latter could go "na na na na! You can't get a kill outta me, the last remaining ship! You've got to wait it out until the end!" more than ever.

This happens in WoT, too.The last one or two remaining units of the losing team, usually SPGs and Light Tanks, would just sit on their bums behind cover, with improved camouflage as the winning team wants to mop up. It then becomes a stupid and frustrating goose chase, especially on densely covered, mountainous maps.

No. Just...no.

you could of course just cap in this situation and make sure of the win rather than getting greedy and chasing those last couple of vehicles around....

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

On most maps, BBs reach firing range of enemy targets within 5 minutes from a dead stop. Hell, enemy detection usually occurs a minute into the game, by two minutes, a carrier player can have the entire enemy team's positions mapped out. By 10 mins, aggressive, coordinated teams can and will reach 5km of each other and be able to engage one another decisively.

However, all this assumes that captains don't move to hold the range open at 10-15km which is what a ton of BB captains do. Because of this, they're still stuck in their base periphery on both sides 10 mins into the game. More often that not, this results in either a draw where both sides decline to fight each other until its too late, or one team breaks through on one side of the map while the rest of the team is stuck on the other side because instead of turning inwards to close the range, they turn outwards and hold the range open and end up in the map corners.

EDIT: 

Just had an aggressive team on a domination match. Detection at 1min 03 second. Opening fire on targets within 2 mins into the game. team advanced halfway across the map in 5 mins. I was killed at 7 minute mark, after 13 hits, 3 citadel hits, 5 critical hits, 1 fire caused and one enemy ship sunk, halfway across the map while engaging enemy targets within secondary battery range. 10 mins into the game, my team has broken through one flank while other flank collapsed, half dead on each side, but enemy ships are running from our main force. All ships are still firing and engaging each other, including managing to ram each other. With 8 mins left on the timer, the match is mostly resolved.

The length of the battle timer isn't the issue. The players are.

Firing range does not mean you can hit anything, Battleships may be able to shoot 20km but they are built to be inaccurate up until about 12km so that they have to get close enough to cruisers for them to fire back.

its a balance thing.

And no the battle timer is an issue, you nearly have as many games as i do how can you not see it?

Honestly the only thing people saying 20 minutes is enough tells me is "I am impatient and think 20 minutes is far too long to dedicate to any task"