Sign in to follow this  
kazuru_

Newbie questions about HE and fire

8 comments in this topic

[LU-NA]
5 posts
1,342 battles

So... Uhm.... just a newbie questions about HE shell (sorry for that) 🙃

First, Can HE shell set fire when not penetrate armour ?

Second, how fire lit in the citadel and does it cause same amount of damage on fire in superstructure ?

Third, if HE shell not penetrate can it damage module ? (example : AA gun)

Last, if you take IFHE is it necessary to take DemoExpert too ?

Thank you

Edited by kazuru_

[PATEN]
Video Contributor, Clantest Coordinator
2,463 posts
11,805 battles

1.it's possible to chance of fire even not penetrate armor but it's quite hard

2.not sure for my info because I rarely use HE to CL that has low citadel armor and I always play high tier (so I pass)

3.it does afaik (i still have not noticed that much)

4.depends on your choice, it gives more penetration HE if you arent serious you spend another more useful any pt captain, if you think 8% (after used IFHE) looks set on fire less than old games you can use it

Edited by Onlinegamer
Added answer 4th
  • Cool 1

[LGND]
311 posts
9,655 battles

1. yes it can, for example DD spamming HE  not penetrating BB armor but setting a fire

2. U mean Citadel hit when using HE ?
3.small AA gun less than 30 mm caliber usually always destroyed even its not penetrating....
example, my montana AA orliekon get destroyed by DD HE....
4. yes u need DE if u invest skill on IFHE 

Edited by Gesterbein
  • Cool 1

Beta Tester
2,366 posts
7,238 battles

2. fire damage is base on ship max HP. so damage was distributed across BB part. e.g you can have saturated bow but it can still take damage if it was set on fire.
fire damage are light damage and can be repair 100% with repair consumables iirc.
3. HE has splash damage that can knock out modules near the explosion
4. is a must imo. to mitigate the penalty of IFHE. fires are really nice when farming damage against BBs

• Cool 1

2,289 posts
6,193 battles

1. Yes.

2. Technically fire can't be in the citadel, but rather, an entire section of the ship. Fire deals damage through a percentage. Normally a ship has 4 sections that can burn, unless a captain skill is taken to reduce that to 3.

You CAN score citadel hits using HE. 

3. Yes. Since the HE shells explode on impact in a cube-shaped area (yes, a cube!), modules can be damaged in the explosion.

4. Not really. There are signal flags that can help you with that if you want 3 points somewhere else. SE or BFT, for example.

HE penetration rule/value is something you should know too. Most ships in the game have 1/6 pen, some others have 1/4. Ship parameter menu clearly gives you that info. HE penetration value for most cruisers and DDs should be at least 32 mm.

Edited by Paladinum

[CLAY]
1,341 posts
8,494 battles
6 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

You CAN score citadel hits using HE. But it's extremely rare, unless you're a RN BB shooting at a RN cruiser.

I get it a few times on low tier ships. Mostly on T4 CVs, or other ships with low armor.

Beta Tester
2,366 posts
7,238 battles
1 minute ago, Grygus_Triss said:

I get it a few times on low tier ships. Mostly on T4 CVs, or other ships with low armor.

dont forget our favorite flat CV ryuujou. also possible to independence with CA caliber iirc.

• Cool 1

2,289 posts
6,193 battles
9 minutes ago, Grygus_Triss said:

German DD HE vs T4-5 CVs :Smile_trollface:

• Funny 1

Sign in to follow this