You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
BirdyGod

Matchmaking, Just Me?

8 comments in this topic

12 posts
3,038 battles

The last time i played this game was when the hunt for Bismarck was active, i recently had to come back and grind my ass off because my friend logged into my inactive account and wows presents me with a month of premium for coming back to game i quit. (reason: simply because its too grindy like warframe but enough of that i want to talk about the matchmaking)

Now, i had encountered this problem numerous times before but its really starting to grind my gears (and is only another solid reason why i quit the game), as Im writing this post i just encountered a round where we have 2 tier 7 DD akat and minsk (me) while the enemy had 3 DD, two of which is tier 8 akizuki and kidd and one tier 7 maass, we had a total of 4 tier 7 ships while they had 3 tier 7 ships with also 1 CV per side and it doesnt take a genius to know how that game turned out.

So, Im wondering is this the norm or is it that they want to reduce the matchmaking time because i would rather wait longer for a more balanced and fair game than a game that is already decided before it even started.

609 posts
6,711 battles

Matchmaking has always been a mess. The game will try to shorten the queues, and throw ships into slots based purely on their type, not taking into account consumables, behaviours etc... I’m supprised there were 5 DDs in game, many DD players have gone into hiding due to the CV rework.

12 posts
3,038 battles

Im more surprised that the fact that this game is already out for nearly 4 years and still have this problem, if its hard to fix i can understand but come on now, i remember the time where one side had CV and the other dont... after the CV rework DD was basically food for CV but when the nerf (gut lol) hit, DD got a lot more breathing room to work with and now CV are most of the time annoying making me do a 180 turn to my teammates AA.

675 posts
5,402 battles
21 minutes ago, Grygus_Triss said:

Matchmaking has always been a mess.

I don't understand how MM works. Many times I get matches that put all of one ship into one side, even though there are enough of that one ship to distribute for both teams.

For example, 3 Zao in a match. One team has no Zao, one takes all. 

This gets worse when it's radar cruisers, like DM and Wosster. Or one team gets all the YamaSushi. Or one team gets all the IJN torp DDs.

440 posts
5,511 battles

Up to one minute wait times, MM will match tier-for-tier and type-for-type. This was a change brought in a year or so back.

After one minute MM relaxes the constraints on a best effort basis. So ship tiers and ship types are not always balanced.

If you really hate that (it never bothers me..), play only at peak hours.

(And who's taken it into their head to downmod all my posts these last couple of days? I'm curious to know why you are so dedicated.)

Edited by Rina_Pon

476 posts
8,104 battles

WoWs matchmaker is agricultural at best.

It's not like other games where players will have a personal MMR (match making rank) that it will apply to each team of players.

It just takes basic ship types and tiers into consideration and that's about it.

That's why even in ranked it's possible to have 2-3 Hurricane league players all on one team as the MM has no way to know who is pro and who is noob.

Starcraft uses a number system, you earn points for a win and lose them for a loss. The number of points gained/lost depends on your opponent. You will only be put against players within a set MMR number based on your MMR.

Makes for usually pretty fair games and you can see your progress easily by your MMR.

12 posts
3,038 battles

Im not talking about who's good and who's bad, every once in a while i saw someone getting one shot across the map early into the game but that doesnt means he's bad. (maybe)

What the real issue is when one side have more ships of a different type and different tiers.

Example: tier 7 akatsuki and minsk vs tier 8 kidd and akizuki and tier 7 maass (from my experience)

Sometime one side have more DDs, more control of capture point, harassment and torpedoes issue, more Cruisers = fire fire fire fire fire AA, and BBs will just remind you to keep dodging if dont want to get sent back to port.

Tier difference can sometimes be outright unfair when example one side have more tier 9 while one have more tier 8, difference may be small but its still there and quite noticeable (izumo and yamato difference is day and night)

You can say that this makes the game more diverse (lol no) but this just adds a pinch of frustration for the team suffering and plus giving the opponent an advantage (fair)