Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.

8 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
98 posts
67 battles

Japanese Armoured Cruiser

出雲 Izumo

(Not to be confused with JS Izumo)

1086b5x.jpg

Rip in peace little dear

Specifications:

Class/Type: Izumo Class Armoured Cruiser

Displacement: 9906 tons
Length: 132.28 meters

Breadth: 20.94 meters

No of shafts: 2

Engine: 24 VTE Belleville boilers

Power: 14500 h.p.

Top speed: 20.75 knots (38.43km/h)

Armament:

4 - 203mm/45 Type 41

14 - QF 6 inch/40 naval guns
12 - QF 12-pounder 12 cwt naval guns
8 - 3-pounder Hotchkiss naval guns

4 - 450 mm torpedo tubes

Armour:

Main Belt: 88-175mm

Upper Belt: 125mm

Deck: 67mm

Turret: 150mm

Casemate: 150mm

Conning Tower: 356mm

Info:

Japanese cruiser Izumo was ordered and built in Elswick, United Kingdom as part of the 'Six-Six Programme' where six battleships and six cruisers were built to strengthen the Imperial Japanese Navy, Izumo being one of them and her sister ship, Iwate. She was completed on 14 May 1898, launched on 19 September 1899.

Izumo served a very important role in the Russo-Japanese War, she's the flagship of the 2nd Fleet which includes 4 out of the 6 cruisers from the Six-Six Program, Iwate, Asama, Azuma & Yakumo. Izumo in the 2nd Fleet pursued a Russian cruiser squadron but unsuccessful. She later caught them during the Battle of Ulsan on 14th Aug 1904 where where assisted in the sinking of Russian cruiser Rurik and damaging Rossia and Gromoboi. Izumo suffered more than 20 hits and two dead crewmen during the raid. During her repairs, her 47 mm (1.9 in) guns were upgraded to 76 mm (3 in). 

Izumo also participated in the Battle of Tsushima on 26 May 1905 served under Kamimura’s flagship. During the battle, she took 9 hits along with 34 dead crewmen. She's also one of the ships along with Iwate and Niitaka who were involved in the signing of the Treaty of Portmouth after the war where they meet with the Imperial Russian Navy to oversee the practical implementation of the peace treaty terms.

Izumo's role in the First World War was mostly on overseas patrol but despite that, she accompanied Asama and Hizen to Hawaii on November 1914 to enforce the internment of the Imperial German Navy cruiser SMS Geier at Pearl Harbor as was required under international norms for neutrality. She later joined the Royal Navy group in Panama, Canada with HMAS Australia and HMS Newcastle for patrols against the German cruisers.

More to be added...

Izumo was assigned as the flagship of the 3rd Fleet and participated in the Battle Of Shanghai. She sank a chinese torpedo boat and also shot down Captain Claire Lee Chennault's floatplane on 14 August 1937. She also captured the United States Navy river gunboat USS Wake (renamed to Tatara) and sank the Royal Navy gunboat HMS Peterel on 8 Dec 1941. 

Izumo was fitted with new Anti-Aircraft guns during the World War II but never seen in operations as she's used as a training vessel at the Seto Inland Sea throughout the war. Unfortunately, she's was a victim of the Bombing of Kure by the American Air-force which became the result of her sinking on 24 July 1945. Its hulk was later recovered and scrapped in 1947.

Fate:

Sunk

24 July 1945
Scrapped

After reading back, I can already sense that there are tons of mistakes that I might not noticed. So dear historians and warships experts, do tell if there's any inaccuracy or something to add or point out. Don't want to spread the wrong info in the historical section now, would we?

Edited by Subete_Yoi

Beta Tester
142 posts
484 battles

Launched in 1899? Wow....that's impressive. She appeared to have some decent armor, good guns...even torpedoes. Did she participate in WWII? How did she sink?

Oh, as for shafts, I'm fairly certain she would have had 2.

+1 for bringing me more historic WWI ships :)

Super Tester
2,725 posts

Launched in 1899? Wow....that's impressive. She appeared to have some decent armor, good guns...even torpedoes. Did she participate in WWII? How did she sink?

Izumo is really outdated to be combat-ready in WW2 though..... Izumo was used as training ship during the ww2.
Edited by Mingfang47

Beta Tester
98 posts
67 battles

Thanks for the info on the shaft.

I'll put full info in really soon. About Russo-Japanese War, WW1 and WW2 including her sinking.

Izumo is really outdated to be combat-ready in WW2 though..... Izumo was used as training ship during the ww2.

Yup indeed. Despite being decently armed, she's horribly obsolete... Don't stand a chance against the WWII-build ships :teethhappy:

Beta Tester
142 posts
484 battles

I agree she was outdated, but I recall reading somewhere certain warships built during WWI actually did participate in WWII, even though they were outclassed. I believe it might have been a case of 'desperate times call for desperate measures' type of thing.

As for the shafts, it was rare for any ship of that size not to be fitted with twin shafts / propellers. There is some long, winded engineering answer to the reasoning behind it, but it made sense to have two shafts instead of one or three. A ship that size with that amount of horsepower would have required twin screws. :)

Edited by Gr1zzly

Alpha Tester
523 posts
217 battles

As for the shafts, it was rare for any ship of that size not to be fitted with twin shafts / propellers. There is some long, winded engineering answer to the reasoning behind it, but it made sense to have two shafts instead of one or three. A ship that size with that amount of horsepower would have required twin screws. :)

Single props need to be larger and/or spin faster to be as effective as twin props, and at the time that meant they suffered severe stern flutter and prop wear due to cavitation. Twin props reduce that issue, offer redundancy in case of loss of a shaft and can be counter rotated to eliminate torque effects. Triples reintroduce the torque factor again, and probably cause some weird flow effects that might contribute to drag.

Super Tester
2,725 posts

Done with the thread!

Nearly forgot about the Sino-Japanese War II it's almost the same period as WWII

Nah..... the early years of 2nd Sino-Japanese War isn't WW2 yet. But Izumi did participate in Invasion of China, probably Shanghai.
Edited by Mingfang47

Sign in to follow this