Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Rina_Pon

CE got double-nerfed. (and that's a good thing.)

10 comments in this topic

442 posts
5,526 battles

The value of the 4-point Concealment Expert captain skill has fallen greatly since 0.8.0.

First because for all ship types it was literally nerfed, the reduction in detection radius being capped to a flat 10% regardless of class.

Second because, as flamu makes it very clear in a recent vid, in CV games most ships spend most of the game spotted. The utility of the CE skill is therefore far less.

... and I'm actually really happy about this, on a number of levels:

Prior to the update, CE was a mandatory skill. Now, you have 4 skill points you can assign to other skills instead, which is both interesting and useful. Especially for BBs, but even for certain cruisers one can at least contemplate going with manual AA or IFHE instead.

Also, it significantly nerfs the ability of BBs to sneak up on smaller ships. Infamously, the Conqueror. It also gives DDs a little more breathing room from enemy cruisers.

I've gone ahead and de-specc'd CE off all my T7 and below BB captains. Looking seriously at doing the same for Yorck and New Orleans. Not sure if I'm ready to take this to my T8s though.

Edited by Rina_Pon

319 posts
25,129 battles

CE even on BBs are a lot like RPF on an IJN dd.

You don't need it until you need. And then you kick yourself for not having it. 

442 posts
5,526 battles
3 hours ago, Pervis117 said:

You don't need it until you need. And then you kick yourself for not having it. 

Lol. What is every consumable/skill choice ever. 

198 posts
1,474 battles

With the speed and range of aircraft, making aircraft a far efficient and power surveillance platform for a far bigger map. surface concealment is far less relevant in the battle. and I believe that was what flamu actually saying. not that he is joyful about it.

That is just a simple reflection of air power disruption to surface engagement dynamic. the change of dynamic drifted the skill allocation priority toward AA and to deal with air treat.

It would be even better if the game can re-modelled to the full air power combat dynamic. instead of keeping surface engagement half-live while leaving air power severely handicapped. and you may even had the change to get rid of EM, AR, DE, IFHE

Edited by tsuenwan

[BASE2]
12 posts
4,561 battles

I just hope this doesn't mean BBs play even further back since their disengagement range is longer.  That aside, I do agree with the sentiments

442 posts
5,526 battles
46 minutes ago, Grygus_Triss said:

Wait until Russian BBs come into game with 40 sec+ 15km radar which only spots BBs and CVs.

Ah. It will be interesting to watch how that pans out. The duration is enough for the BB to get two volleys off, max. Any CV/BB closer than 12 km will be detected anyways, further than 15 km will not get touched by the radar.

Seems to me the game impact will be minor. As I see it, it will allow two things: 1) sniping an adventurous CV who thinks he can move up undetected, and 2) catching a BB in mid turn who thought he could re-position while concealed.

768 posts
8,066 battles

I was really hoping I can move away from CE, but in the end most of my ships still need CE 😞 I tried to spec Montana without CE, but somehow it doesn't perform as well, at least for me. GK? my GK no CE since day 1!

617 posts
6,728 battles
2 hours ago, Rina_Pon said:

Ah. It will be interesting to watch how that pans out. The duration is enough for the BB to get two volleys off, max. Any CV/BB closer than 12 km will be detected anyways, further than 15 km will not get touched by the radar.

Seems to me the game impact will be minor. As I see it, it will allow two things: 1) sniping an adventurous CV who thinks he can move up undetected, and 2) catching a BB in mid turn who thought he could re-position while concealed.

I haven’t played my concealment specced Yamato since 0.8.0, previously concealment was around 13.5 km. I think it’s now over 14km. So less than a km difference when dealing with 15km radar.

I suppose the radar can spot BBs hiding in smoke. If there are still DD players who share smoke. And can also ensure there are no BBs hiding around islands ready to fire at your broadside. It will likely be more useful to allies than to the BB itself.

I have found concealment very useful before in my Yamato, when I have needed to escape in order to repair or turn around. The radar, if i’m Not careful, could catch me in compromised positions, but may just encourage me to hang further back.

319 posts
25,129 battles
19 hours ago, Rina_Pon said:

Lol. What is every consumable/skill choice ever. 

i disagree. Some skills have benefits that manifest all the time (or near enough) and some are situational but a real life saver in those situations.

Sign in to follow this