You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Darkworld_2015

How to CV (post 0.8.0)

10 comments in this topic

[POI]
889 posts
8,937 battles

Yeah I know, I'm already in WOWs for more than 3 years, but I never really played CV before! 
Initially I was too worried that I couldn't perform good enough to at least give my team a fair chance to win XD

But, as an person who loves History and Military history, it's incomplete if I don't know how to play CV at all, as it played such a vital role in WW2.

CV rework has opened up opportunities for me to finally put my foot in to try out CV :)

I have played a dozen of coop games, watched some replays in Youtube, learn a few tricks.. 

But there are things that can't be learnt unless played in random battles. 

But still, going in just like that wouldn't be fair to others..

would be greatful if anyone can share their experience in CV..
Thanks

[LBAS]
475 posts
1,538 battles

I would like to know too, watched quite few replays still cant get to play rite. Been playing Ranger in CO-OP and Ops, but still hard to master, especially the Torp drop, one hit or miss completely 

• Cool 1

[ULAG]
904 posts
8,380 battles

Well, I only played CV prior to Hotfix and only played Ryujo and Ranger. I grinded past both of them with 76% and 59% WR respectively. It was really fun to play and you could easily have reasonable impact in games. I at first tried to utilize all the squadron types available to me but soon realized it was not working as I thought. After some experiment I settles with Rockets+Torps for IJN and Rockets+DBs for USN and got the result I wanted.

Other than that, The USN felt slightly weaker than IJN counterpart. Flak seemed really easy to dodge as they were really predictable. Fighter consumable is utterly useless. DDs can be easily harassed to death. The "F-spam" was real :Smile-_tongue: etc.

That is what I can tell you about my experience in a nut shell. Mind you that I only played T6 so other tiers are unknown to me. And specially with the recent hotfix that turned CVs into underpowered peace of crap may have significantly influenced my judgment if I were to play those CVs now.

Edited by _TAMAL_
  • Cool 1

[POI]
889 posts
8,937 battles
7 minutes ago, waichung1823 said:

I would like to know too, watched quite few replays still cant get to play rite. Been playing Ranger in CO-OP and Ops, but still hard to master, especially the Torp drop, one hit or miss completely 

Yeah, me too. I failed to judge where to drop, how much to lead etc on the torps

5 minutes ago, _TAMAL_ said:

Well, I only played CV prior to Hotfix and only played Ryujo and Ranger. I grinded past both of them with 76% and 59% WR respectively. It was really fun to play and you could easily have reasonable impact in games. I at first tried to utilize all the squadron types available to me but soon realized it was not working as I thought. After some experiment I settles with Rockets+Torps for IJN and Rockets+DBs for USN and got the result I wanted.

Other than that, The USN felt slightly weaker than IJN counterpart. Flak seemed really easy to dodge as they were really predictable. Fighter consumable is utterly useless. DDs can be easily harassed to death. The "F-spam" was real :Smile-_tongue: etc.

That is what I can tell you about my experience in a nut shell. Mind you that I only played T6 so other tiers are unknown to me. And specially with the recent hotfix that turned CVs into underpowered peace of crap may have significantly influenced my judgment if I were to play those CVs now.

Thanks mate. Yeah I'm actively playing surface ships. seeing the planes fell from the sky like flies made me very very hesitant to play CV now XD

I played Langley, yeah my planes kept on been shot down. Luckily the team can carry themselves hahahaha

502 posts
1,474 battles

Please stop thinking about the real history and naval aviation. As whats implemented in WOWS has nothing to do with real history. 

Never apply anything you learn from the game as history. The whole WOWS is just a first person shooter game. real CV, real air attack, real FLAK did not work like that at all.

[POI]
889 posts
8,937 battles
21 minutes ago, tsuenwan said:

Please stop thinking about the real history and naval aviation. As whats implemented in WOWS has nothing to do with real history. 

Never apply anything you learn from the game as history. The whole WOWS is just a first person shooter game. real CV, real air attack, real FLAK did not work like that at all.

Yeah I know I know, thx for telling

[LNA]
1,931 posts
11,882 battles

Torp hit is easy.

Dont aim for the ship, aim for where she will be 20 seconds later.

For max range drop, aim at dispersing clustered ships. Dont aim for specific targets.

If you know the target will play dodge, force im to slow down and turn by doing a long range pass followed by an L turn to get his broadside then a U turn to break him off.

US torps are very strong against static dummies hiding behind island , sneak to the side and force them to move with a min range drop. They are very slow, so aim well ahead.

IJN torps are better off for stealth sniping.

Always look for firing into island corners, most ship love being there.

US divebomb can attack at 90 degree effectively without going for bow or stern. Use that to do straight up hit and run. Remember to drop at red seconds for maximum accuracy. They are also useful for punishing island huggers. Since AA cant pass tall landscape , you can approach without getting fired at.

American tiny tims are very strong , and set fire frequently , use it to soft up targets for bombing.

AP bomb are tricky, you must approach from bow or stern. Use it to secure kills and punish players playing bow on. Again , don't do follow up , hit and run.

• Cool 2

[POI]
889 posts
8,937 battles
1 hour ago, legionary2099 said:

Torp hit is easy.

Dont aim for the ship, aim for where she will be 20 seconds later.

For max range drop, aim at dispersing clustered ships. Dont aim for specific targets.

If you know the target will play dodge, force im to slow down and turn by doing a long range pass followed by an L turn to get his broadside then a U turn to break him off.

US torps are very strong against static dummies hiding behind island , sneak to the side and force them to move with a min range drop. They are very slow, so aim well ahead.

IJN torps are better off for stealth sniping.

Always look for firing into island corners, most ship love being there.

US divebomb can attack at 90 degree effectively without going for bow or stern. Use that to do straight up hit and run. Remember to drop at red seconds for maximum accuracy. They are also useful for punishing island huggers. Since AA cant pass tall landscape , you can approach without getting fired at.

American tiny tims are very strong , and set fire frequently , use it to soft up targets for bombing.

AP bomb are tricky, you must approach from bow or stern. Use it to secure kills and punish players playing bow on. Again , don't do follow up , hit and run.

Thank you so much for your tips and time to type it out, really appreciate it 🙂

will try out what you said ASAP.

By the way, do you have any advice regarding the "Fighter" consumable on squadron? Where to put it to maximise her potential? Do you use it to keep a CAP spotted to prevent opponent DD to capture it undetected?

[LNA]
1,931 posts
11,882 battles
23 minutes ago, Darkworld_2015 said:

Thank you so much for your tips and time to type it out, really appreciate it 🙂

will try out what you said ASAP.

By the way, do you have any advice regarding the "Fighter" consumable on squadron? Where to put it to maximise her potential? Do you use it to keep a CAP spotted to prevent opponent DD to capture it undetected?

Pop it on your dd on first take off. FT are slow and don't chase very far. It is an extremely useful tool to deny enemy easy access to target they want to hit. Always pop up on target being hit by first wave of a strike package. Also pop up on smoking ship near frontline. Use it to secure smoked allies from dying to torp run.

If you are worried about enemy dd , don't be. You only need to keep your rocket plane ready when he do pop up in cap.

US can substitute rocket with divebombers. A good practiced drop can take half of a dd HP in one hit. I usually run divebomb first to strong arm enemy dd first ( though dont do this if your aim is bad ). A dd that took 5k or 10k hp hits will be very afraid of straying too far from mainfleet.

Always not be afraid to turn out and abort attack if sudden AA threat pop up. You need your reserves to play dry for kill securing.

Preemptive torping into corners leading into cap always show good result , because enemy will be afraid of moving up allowing your team to secure caps even when they never hit.

Don't be greedy in chasing dd if they run far back, its always better to attack the leadship or farn off loners in a corner.

Edited by legionary2099
  • Cool 2

[POI]
889 posts
8,937 battles

That's very very informative, a lot I didn't think of... thank you so much @legionary2099 🙂

So far I dunno what else to ask. CV ship positioning I will try out myself first, though most likely I will just keep a bit farther away, and to look at the ssituation on each time recalling my squadron..