Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
blauflamme22

Ranked improvements

13 comments in this topic

[AN-DO]
324 posts
7,378 battles

So, I'm curious as to what people might think would be good fixes for ranked. Every season it seems WG try something new, not just changing the tier but having different tiers for the same season, then trying sprint with divs then now using a different game mode and less ranks. I'm still a fairly casual player though I try to be as competitive as possible, and ranked (not the sprint season) is something I look forward to, to mix things up and have a bit more of a challenge, But to me it seems like all this changing and experimenting, not to mention what I think are some flawed systems, takes away from ranked as a more competitive mode. This season already I've seen more people sailing around with first league flags on etc and for the sprint season I've seen people who i know to be terrible players cruising round with rank 1 or 2 badges. It seems like WG is pandering to less skilled players too much and that's coming from me, a very average player. I feel like ranked and the higher ranks should be a properly competitive game mode, steel shouldn't be given out so frivolously just because there are people whinging about not being able to get Stalingrad etc. So below I've listed a few things that I think might improve ranked. I'd be interested to hear peoples thoughts and perhaps what they'd like to see added in the game mode.

- Set maps and game mode (I should be able to see an improvement in my rank from the season before if these stay constant)
- Fixed tier or perhaps two tiers like the previous season (same reason as above, if I want to improve I know which ships to work on)
- No premium ships (its competitive so the playing field should be as level as possible)
- No saved star for the top of the losing team (if you want to encourage more dynamic play put people in a position where they have nothing to gain from sitting back)
- Longer season again and more ranks (say 25 ranks with permanent ranks at 15, 10, 5 and 1 (that way less competitive players can still have some fun going up ranks but they wont get so caught up with the more competitive ones)
- Fixed number of BBs, DDs etc on each team (this way you wont get stuck with games filled with just BBs each team etc)
- Still thinking about whether the two person div worked out well, I think it is nice to have the ability to coordinate well with at least one team member, but I'm not sold completely on the idea.

[AN-DO]
324 posts
7,378 battles

I'm going to get involved in the dark arts and bring this back from the dead. I cant believe nobody else has opinions on ranked. or has everybody exhausted themselves complaining over the CV rework?

[TLS]
1,607 posts
17,199 battles

Because no goddamn other regular has replied to this in the last 2 hours. :P

I, in particular, like #3 and #4 because I do want those implemented now. The problem with ranked these days is that camping and saving stars is becoming more prevalent, especially when the team is filled with a certain class of ships. In ends up as a huge ranged slugfest where people are attempting to 'save their star' instead of 'play to win'. My suggestion to boost the star economy is to award 2 stars for the top winner as incentive to perform while no one on the losing team saves a star. That way, active play is rewarded and people compete to be top. You should not be rewarding the top loser especially when they do not play actively. Alternatively, the players on the winning team can earn an extra star if they pass a certain base xp threshold.

Whilst I own premium ships, I do agree that it is fairer that ranked exclude premium ships. Last season was mainly populated by sushis because of the range and star saving. While my only game with a JB was fun, it was only because my team pushed on both flanks while I tanked and controlled the middle of the map for them to have an opportunity.

PS. People are not "complaining" because wg doesn't listen to good ideas.

• Cool 1

[AN-DO]
324 posts
7,378 battles

I actually really like your idea of the top winner getting two stars, that could be a good way to motivate people to play to win. The musashis and star saving is why I stopped playing after R10. I couldn't be bothered with such a boring playstyle

[SH0T]
901 posts
10,174 battles

3 and 4 are both good ideas. Its been asked for for a while but WG hasn't listened.

Its VERY difficult for a DD to save a star in a game filled with farming BB's especially since the the DD's in this season didn't earn XP for capping the buffs.

• Cool 2

[151ST]
1,243 posts
5,931 battles
16 minutes ago, dieselhead said:

3 and 4 are both good ideas. Its been asked for for a while but WG hasn't listened.

Its VERY difficult for a DD to save a star in a game filled with farming BB's especially since the the DD's in this season didn't earn XP for capping the buffs.

I don't like the gameplay from save a star but I like saving my stars, if they fixed the XP system to weight team play more maybe this wouldn't be an issue...

Edit: I always play to win though

Edited by S4pp3R
  • Cool 3

[TLS]
1,607 posts
17,199 battles
27 minutes ago, S4pp3R said:

I don't like the gameplay from save a star but I like saving my stars, if they fixed the XP system to weight team play more maybe this wouldn't be an issue...

You are among the rare people to play to win. Yes, fix XP system would be a high priority instead of some other useless thing they have done instead, but chances of it happening are low because this is one of the things people have been clamouring for a rework. That'd balance things out but for now, the simple solution for rank would be to remove the star saving. Somewhere on the internets someone wrote an expose on why the 'save the star' mechanic exists for the star economy. All I have done is to suggest to transfer the additional stars as incentive to play better. In this suggestion, the only way teams can 'save their star' is to win. If play excellently, you have 2 stars. This would mean that if you are a superb player, you'd get to high ranks fast.

Arms race is a good mechanic because it rewards more active play. 

NB: note that this is the asia server perspective and that it may not necessarily reflect the other servers' playstyle. We all know asia server play is terribly selfish. Just look at Narai. Clear objectives yet people lemming to kill the transports and not support the push or hit the cv. We do not need 2 cruisers, a dd AND a bb to kill the transports. -_-

Edited by dejiko_nyo
  • Cool 1

[SH0T]
901 posts
10,174 battles
23 minutes ago, S4pp3R said:

Winning is always better than being first loser. The star saving thing is a totally broken way of doing things.

• Cool 2

[151ST]
1,243 posts
5,931 battles
1 hour ago, dieselhead said:

Winning is always better than being first loser. The star saving thing is a totally broken way of doing things.

Yeah the amount of times I've lost a star because the last one/two were busy saving theirs... ...

Having said that I can carry a T5-8 game in almost every situation, 9-10 I just can't...

It's like the balance or meta there is screwed up... ... ...

[SH0T]
901 posts
10,174 battles
7 minutes ago, S4pp3R said:

Yeah the amount of times I've lost a star because the last one/two were busy saving theirs... ...

Having said that I can carry a T5-8 game in almost every situation, 9-10 I just can't...

It's like the balance or meta there is screwed up... ... ...

Imagine what it will be like now with the new concealments etc

• Cool 1

[AN-DO]
324 posts
7,378 battles

Thats why I like the idea of giving an extra star to the top scorer on the winning team. I had read about the mechanics of saving a star but there must be a better way to get around it. I also always play to win, but as was mentioned by @dejiko_nyo this server seems particularly selfish. And @dieselhead you're so right about the DDs, I played a few games in them and it didn't matter how many caps I got for the team, how much spotting or damage, there was always a musashi farming that meant I'd never save a star. So it doesn't even encourage diverse ship choices let alone gameplay. why on earth would anybody who wants to advance take a DD or cruiser, when its safest to take a BB and that's how we end up with with 7BB vs 7BB on Arms Race, which is just ridiculous.

• Cool 1

[NZSQN]
183 posts
3,593 battles

The best ranked season I ever played was the one they did at T6 a few seasons ago-

A good selection of ships- none of which were OP broken. 

No radar

Less island hugging daka ships like Atlanta or Minotaur ruining everyone's fun.

Less torpedo's to spam

Less accurate BB guns

Less gimmicks

Promoted close in aggressive play by all ship types.

• Cool 2

[TLS]
1,607 posts
17,199 battles

Oh, I forgot a good suggestion for ranked.

Low tiers, preferably 1/2. Unless they fix the passive plays, those players play as bad as any new player.

• Funny 1

Sign in to follow this