Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
_TAMAL_

Simple Fix to DD vs CV Interaction

10 comments in this topic

581 posts
7,156 battles

So as most people are concerned about the dd spotting issue in 0.8.0 and WG is again failing in attempt to reduce CV's influence in spotting, I thought I'd give my two cents in regards to fixing dd vs cv interaction :

The idea is inspired from WG's own implementation of spotting in Cyclone. Why not make spotting of dd via aircraft similar to Cyclone spotting? i.e. only the CV player is able to actually "see" the dd while others only see it in the minimap. To make it a team oriented aspect, add a message that pops up on screen like "Enemy Destroyer Located By Aircraft" so that people can check the minimap and act accordingly.

This IMO will significantly improve the gameplay of dds. Right now every dd main is either playing dds with good AA or avoiding playing dds at all. Those who are playing dd are avoiding capping at large and staying with the blob not doing what they are supposed to do. More than one CV per team is only making the issue even worse.

And while we're at it, why not introduce the same mechanic for Cruisers as well? Specially, light cruisers that rely on concealment so much. Or mayb couple this with a perticular concealment value, below which this mechanic applies and above which it doesnt. It can be different for different classes. This opens up opportunity for interesting build strategies where you have to choose from being permaspotted all game or being concealed partially and sacrifice some other efficiency regarding skills and modules.

This is just a simple idea that may or may not make sense to you. Feel free to share your opinions :Smile_honoring:

Edited by _TAMAL_
Typos

6 posts
2,727 battles
16 minutes ago, _TAMAL_ said:

So as most people are concerned about the dd spotting issue in 0.8.0 and WG is again failing in attempt to reduce CV's influence in spotting, I thought I'd give my two cents in regards to fixing dd vs cv interaction :

The idea is inspired from WG's own implementation of spotting in Cyclone. Why not make spotting of dd via aircraft similar to Cyclone spotting? i.e. only the CV player is able to actually "see" the dd while others only see it in the minimap. To make it a team oriented aspect, add a message that pops up on screen like "Enemy Destroyer Located By Aircraft" so that people can check the minimap and act accordingly.

This IMO will significantly improve the gameplay of dds. Right now every dd main is either playing dds with good AA or avoiding playing dds at all. Those who are playing dd are avoiding capping at large and staying with the blob not doing what they are supposed to do. More than one CV per team is only making the issue even worse.

And while we're at it, why not introduce the same mechanic for Cruisers as well? Specially, light cruisers that rely on concealment so much. Or mayb couple this with a perticular concealment value, below which this mechanic applies and above which it doesnt. It can be different for different classes. This opens up opportunity for interesting build strategies where you have to choose from being permaspotted all game or being concealed partially and sacrifice some other efficiency regarding skills and modules.

This is just a simple idea that may or may not make sense to you. Feel free to share your opinions :Smile_honoring:

I actually like this idea..

264 posts
8,688 battles

good idea....
but i had some idea too...
why not reducing Air Detectibility to same with AA range only for cruiser and DD....
so they will much comfortable rather than got spotted every time....

Edited by Gesterbein

581 posts
7,156 battles
2 hours ago, Gesterbein said:

good idea....
but i had some idea too...
why not reducing Air Detectibility to same with AA range only for cruiser and DD....
so they will much comfortable rather than got spotted every time....

For cruisers, yes, why not...:Smile_Default:

For dds...afaik most of them have lower detection range than their AA range so it will be worse for them.

However, playing with detection range wont help that much simply because the aircraft that is trying to spot them is moving at 150+ knts, not to mention they can now have rpf on them 

Edited by _TAMAL_

264 posts
8,688 battles
2 hours ago, _TAMAL_ said:

For cruisers, yes, why not...:Smile_Default:

For dds...afaik most of them have lower detection range than their AA range so it will be worse for them.

However, playing with detection range wont help that much simply because the aircraft that is trying to spot them is moving at 150+ knts, not to mention they can now have rpf on them 

maybe they should reduce the speed and they should add delay when battle start, because plane is like shell in surface ship they need reload first....
and plane should have preperation time like old cv mechanic not just when u start the game enemy cv already spot you in your base....

581 posts
7,156 battles
4 minutes ago, Gesterbein said:

maybe they should reduce the speed and they should add delay when battle start, because plane is like shell in surface ship they need reload first....
and plane should have preperation time like old cv mechanic not just when u start the game enemy cv already spot you in your base....

Yes the speed reduction is a very viable solution.

And about reload/rearming thing, personally, if I was to do the rework, I would add "Aircraft Fixing Time" along with the "Rearm Time" that is already in game. "Aircraft Fixing Time" would account for the repairing time of damaged planes. We already have health bars for aircraft which change in color. Make it so that the planes that get back to the ship take some time to get repaired based on their color, i.e. something like 5 sec for Yellow hp planes, 10 sec for Orange and 15 sec for Red hp planes that have successfully returned to the carrier after pressing F. This would have easily solved the "F spam" issue even without the nerf issued in 0.8.0.1 hotfix. 

Right now with the nerf to F spam they have introduced an Artificial 2-3 sec delay which makes zero sense. Funny thing is, their main goal was nerfing Hakuryu but they have instead nerfed every other carrier in the game(specially the T8 ones). All while, Hakuryu players are still stealth torping with the 2nd TB option(not as effectively as before but still effective enough). What could have gone wrong if they totally removed that 2nd TB option and kept IJN torps as effective as before? I guess WG's tendency to hold on to stuff is proving to be fatal for the game.

581 posts
7,156 battles
8 minutes ago, Lowyat said:

just allow my main gun switch to AA ammunition so i can flak at planes in retaliation

But then you are not playing the actual game. :Smile-_tongue:

That is the issue with fully Manual AA or Secondaries. The way World of Warships as a game was for past 3 years(and should remain always) is where you are supposed to contest objectives by shooting at enemy ships, negating caps, tanking for the team, spotting for the team etc depending on the class you are playing. Manual secondaries can be considered to some extent because at-least you are shooting at a surface ship. But with fully manual AA, you are not doing anything meaningful...you are just defending yourself from a ship that is way behind enemy lines, you are playing an unnecessary mini-game that has no real counterplay potential. You are not shooting the carrier...you are shooting at its ammunition... you are merely discouraging someone from making your life miserable. I hope I made it clear.

Edited by _TAMAL_

251 posts
12,813 battles
10 minutes ago, _TAMAL_ said:

But then you are not playing the actual game. :Smile-_tongue:

That is the issue with fully Manual AA or Secondaries. The way World of Warships as a game was for past 3 years(and should remain always) is where you are supposed to contest objectives by shooting at enemy ships, negating caps, tanking for the team, spotting for the team etc depending on the class you are playing. Manual secondaries can be considered to some extent because at-least you are shooting at a surface ship. But with fully manual AA, you are not doing anything meaningful...you are just defending yourself from a ship that is way behind enemy lines, you are playing an unnecessary mini-game that has no real counterplay potential. You are not shooting the carrier...you are shooting at its ammunition... you are merely discouraging someone from making your life miserable. I hope I made it clear.

Fine by me. There's a reason why stealth fire is nerfed. Nobody likes to be shot at without any chance to defend or retaliate even if it is badly aimed or futile.

581 posts
7,156 battles
1 minute ago, Lowyat said:

Fine by me. There's a reason why stealth fire is nerfed. Nobody likes to be shot at without any chance to defend or retaliate even if it is badly aimed or futile.

Then again, WG is the one who are hellbent on the concept of not letting players do any kind of multitasking. They were so naive about that, they don't even let players control their CV without losing control of the squadrons despite so many people asking for that feature. Also, with the backlash from community about how the sector switching obstructs gameplay, I doubt they'll be implementing anything else that will increase the workload of the players any more...

Sign in to follow this