Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
yansuki

USN CV Rocket Penetration

11 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
2,221 posts
6,075 battles

i though rockets are CV main weapon against DD's? how come this weapon its also potent against heavier armored ship like CA? a pass from Lady lex rocket planes deal 14k damage to my Mogami. 2nd pass was against DFAA active. that's like 1 citadel from a yamato during opening stage of the game. its so frustrating. if he wanted, he could sink me with rockets alone and there's nothing i could do to stop it.

imo they should nerf rocket penetration and buff other weapon system.

147 posts
3,789 battles

USN CV have better penetration (which is the only good in USN CV) than IJN CV who more focus on torps planes. 
maybe you just showing more broadside and Mogami has a paper plate armor thats why its deal more damage on rocket planes. 

2 hours ago, yansuki said:

DFAA active.

it doesn't mean you can invade all the attacks

2 hours ago, yansuki said:

imo they should nerf rocket penetration and buff other weapon system.

rocket penetration is the only good USN CV, both torpedoes and bombers are weak and can be shredded by AA immediately.

I bet you never played those CV's that's why its easy to judge that their OP even though they are not. 

691 posts
5,409 battles

Lexxy and Midday have 2 options for rocket aircrafts: 1 is 5-inch rockets (8 rockets/aircraft) and the other is 11,75-inch rockets - Tiny Tim (3 rockets/aircraft). 12-inch HE is supposed to hurt. Getting hit multiple times in the superstructure is also supposed to hurt.

I think you were attacked by Tiny Timmies? IFHE right now doesn't work on aircraft-launched rockets.

Edited by Paladinum

Beta Tester
2,221 posts
6,075 battles
Just now, Thyaliad said:

You were probably hit by Tiny Tims. They are more difficult to use against DDs but hit much harder. It is a trade-off.

i didnt knew that. i refuse to play current cv due to its balance issue. also for a rocket on ww2, its way too accurate.

46 minutes ago, Commander_GALEN said:

it doesn't mean you can invade all the attacks

DFAA hardly has accuracy penalty unlike before.  also i dont mind giving buffing torp bombers. USN has really good torpedoes in the late war period.

274 posts
8,539 battles

I do not know of any aeril rocket ( WWI or WWII ) that can penetrate CA armor, in fact most CL armor and even plenty of DD can take them, considering how their ballistic and fuse mechanism actually work one could see that its totally unrealistic. In fact most of these rockets function as ( slow speed dropping ) HE bomb that simply detonate on contact. Most ( if not all ) can't even penetrate the thinnest of armor at all

691 posts
5,409 battles
10 hours ago, Mechfori said:

I do not know of any aeril rocket ( WWI or WWII ) that can penetrate CA armor, in fact most CL armor and even plenty of DD can take them, considering how their ballistic and fuse mechanism actually work one could see that its totally unrealistic. In fact most of these rockets function as ( slow speed dropping ) HE bomb that simply detonate on contact. Most ( if not all ) can't even penetrate the thinnest of armor at all

11,75-inch (~300 mm) Tiny Timmies say hello.

274 posts
8,539 battles
5 hours ago, Paladinum said:

11,75-inch (~300 mm) Tiny Timmies say hello.

Know of that, it prove working on land and fixed target like machine gun placement; but historical record did indicate its ineffectiveness in air to naval engagement against armored naval target of that period so they were used yet as HE against soft target or as a way to HE spam just like HE bomb on top deck structures. The only type of naval target it can destroy ( as recorded ) were 2nd line frigate firing on top deck ( which were unarmored ). There were record of these used against DD and Frigate and doing very little real damage when firing and hitting any side armor  ; their first and early deployment create more harm to their carrying aircraft than the shipping and the success of this rocket is more a use against land target during the Korean War, when they tweaked the fusing and firing and against armored target their tally is basically setting them on fire ( usually Tanks ).

Compare to an AP shell, even aerial rockets or missiles of today lack real armor penetrating power except for specialty types.

Sign in to follow this