You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
yansuki

Why your AA sucks by Ichase

31 comments in this topic

839 posts
7,273 battles
1 hour ago, Moggytwo said:

I don't think you should be able to stop the first wave unless you have multiple AA ships.  You should be stopping the third wave or perhaps even the second by sectoring correctly.  If a CV can't get a single attack in, what's the point of them even being there?

You can mitigate damage in your surface ship, even if alone.  You sector correctly, you maneuvre in such a way as to make it more difficult for the CV to attack.  You will still take some damage, but the damage would be greatly reduced from that if you had sailed straight and not sectored.

You do have counter play.

Hmmm still doesn’t feel as effective as counteplay against surface ships. Successful hits from first wave still feel like they take a chunk of damage, even if they don’t get a second wave. I suppose this is still better than old CVs. And if you even out the dps of the CV, it’s probably similar to other ships landing a few solid hits on you. Maneouvering is possible, but can be tricky to dodge bombs and rockets, especially in a BB. Bug again, you’re probably still taking the same damage over time as other ships can output. Big problem with manevering is when you try to angle against surface ships, planes can out flank you and still get a good shot at you.

I guess my main issue is learning additional defences which are different from the ones I currently use. I.e you cannot defend against CVs the same way you defend against other ships, which often means you have to make a choice of which damage to take.

Of course, that’s all working as intended, CVs are supposed to attack differently in order to counter entrenched players.

Guess it just takes more practice and experience to learn how to mitigate CV damage.

486 posts
5,956 battles

It was actually a recent Jingles video on CV gameplay that twigged me on to this, since I don't play CV myself.

One other thing I learnt from the vid, which I don't think a lot of the player base appreciates (understandably, but still ...) is the knock-on effect losing planes has on a carriers combat effectiveness, due to long plane recycling times.

Yes, I know it's satisfying to dissolve whole squadrons in one pass. But, actually, damaging their hp, and eventually shooting down say 30% of a squadron means either the next sortie is underpowered or it's clear skies for a bit while the CV waits for new planes. So it's important to wear them down like this, chipping away it their resources.

The other thing: one flak explosion may be easy for a good CV to dodge. You've all seen the 450k damage Haku game screencaps by now I guess. Several flak clouds thrown up from multiple ships is a totally different affair. Y'all gotta learn to go full Voltron and stack your AA bubbles. 

Edited by Rina_Pon

1,305 posts
4 hours ago, Moggytwo said:

I don't think you should be able to stop the first wave unless you have multiple AA ships.  You should be stopping the third wave or perhaps even the second by sectoring correctly.  If a CV can't get a single attack in, what's the point of them even being there?

You can mitigate damage in your surface ship, even if alone.  You sector correctly, you maneuvre in such a way as to make it more difficult for the CV to attack.  You will still take some damage, but the damage would be greatly reduced from that if you had sailed straight and not sectored.

You do have counter play.

please stop being ignorant.

Anyone looks at this would know there's something wrong with them doing this much and in forum acts as if he wants Game to Improve. No he actually doesn't He wants his loved class to be on top of everyone and be the best. Personal Ego satisfaction.

I'm I right or I'm I right?

Screenshot (90).png

Edited by Aaditya_AJ

Beta Tester
761 posts
7,699 battles
39 minutes ago, Aaditya_AJ said:

please stop being an A H.

Anyone looks at this would know there's something wrong with them doing this much and in forum acts as if he wants Game to Improve. No he actually doesn't He wants his loved class to be on top of everyone and be the best. Personal Ego satisfaction.

Hakuryu is 100% broken and needs to be fixed.  Probably by nerfing the torp range so you can't get multiple long range salvos in one pass, and actually have to spend time in AA.  The rest of the CV's are not OP, and the T4 and T6 carriers need buffs, considering the massive amount of effort it takes to do just okay in them, compared to how much less effort it takes to play at the same level in other classes at those tiers.

When have I said that they should leave CV's as is?  Balancing is obviously required, and was always going to be required.  You're the one who expects the week after the largest change to the game since closed beta that the game should be perfectly balanced, and because it isn't you think it's absolutely ruined.  If you had an appreciation of the interplay between classes pre-rework and post-rework, and understood the design intent of the changes including what the game should look like once the main post-rework balancing is finished, then you'd be much happier with the state of the game too.

Also, I'm a DD main, I've played plenty of DD since the patch, every one of those battles have had CV's in them and I've enjoyed them a LOT more than any CV matches pre-rework.  Is it difficult in a DD atm?  Sure, but I am so much happier with DD play in CV battles now than pre-0.8.0, and balance changes are coming soon that specifically address the DD vs CV concerns.

1,305 posts

1 minute ago, Moggytwo said:

Hakuryu is 100% broken and needs to be fixed.  Probably by nerfing the torp range so you can't get multiple long range salvos in one pass, and actually have to spend time in AA.  The rest of the CV's are not OP, and the T4 and T6 carriers need buffs, considering the massive amount of effort it takes to do just okay in them, compared to how much less effort it takes to play at the same level in other classes at those tiers.

When have I said that they should leave CV's as is?  Balancing is obviously required, and was always going to be required.  You're the one who expects the week after the largest change to the game since closed beta that the game should be perfectly balanced, and because it isn't you think it's absolutely ruined.  If you had an appreciation of the interplay between classes pre-rework and post-rework, and understood the design intent of the changes including what the game should look like once the main post-rework balancing is finished, then you'd be much happier with the state of the game too.

Also, I'm a DD main, I've played plenty of DD since the patch, every one of those battles have had CV's in them and I've enjoyed them a LOT more than any CV matches pre-rework.  Is it difficult in a DD atm?  Sure, but I am so much happier with DD play in CV battles now than pre-0.8.0, and balance changes are coming soon that specifically address the DD vs CV concerns.

yeah yeah yeah...  DD main and CV player.

So CL/CA and BB players shouldn't have a say? be positive while getting hammered with constant spotting and now have to avoid shells and CV planes before they were loading times for CVs.. now outta nowhere one after other planes swarm all over your ship oh wait it isn't ship anymore is it, OVER THE DAMN FLEET EVEN WITH MOST AA SPEC'D/AA DEDICATED SHIPS and how many planes get shot down? sure it's fine (BE OPTIMISTIC) on the other side ENJOY PLAYING CVs Sure mate keep pampering your ego.

5 posts
4,920 battles

I'll happily concede there are exceptions.  There always are.  The Japanese CVs in particular being able to drop longer range torps would have been much better in this scenario.  Unfortunately the only options we had were Midways.