Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Rurikon

IJN CV Commander/Upgrade spec

4 comments in this topic

11 posts
1,578 battles

Hi, I currently have an VI Ryuujou and an 11-pt commander on her, I'm not sure about which skills to use.

I'm currently running Air Supremacy (1), Improved Engines (2), Survivability Expert (3), and Aircraft Armour (3) with 3 points to spare.
Something about this, I've noted, is that SE is probably less valuable than Aircraft Armour, since + ~100hp is insignificant anyway, and if you get hit by flak you basically lose a huge chunk of health.

Upgrades are focused on torpedo bombers, (+2s attack time, + 7.5 health).

What's the best upgrade to take? Right now, I feel that all of the 4-pt skills aren't worth using. They're all pretty much mediocre. 

3pts - I think a combination of the ff. skills would be the best thing to do right now. -> TA (2), AR(2), Improved Engine Boost(1), Last Gasp(1)

2,106 posts
9,715 battles
Just now, Rurikon said:

Hi, I currently have an VI Ryuujou and an 11-pt commander on her, I'm not sure about which skills to use.

I'm currently running Air Supremacy (1), Improved Engines (2), Survivability Expert (3), and Aircraft Armour (3) with 3 points to spare.
Something about this, I've noted, is that SE is probably less valuable than Aircraft Armour, since + ~100hp is insignificant anyway, and if you get hit by flak you basically lose a huge chunk of health.

Upgrades are focused on torpedo bombers, (+2s attack time, + 7.5 health).

What's the best upgrade to take? Right now, I feel that all of the 4-pt skills aren't worth using. They're all pretty much mediocre. 

3pts - I think a combination of the ff. skills would be the best thing to do right now. -> TA (2), AR(2), Improved Engine Boost(1), Last Gasp(1)

Aircraft Armor and Survibability Expert will do and takes more HP against AA Flaks.

691 posts
5,409 battles

If you're going higher, I suggest torpedoes, torpedoes and torpedoes :Smile_teethhappy:

All my points are into striking efficiency and aircraft survivability. Speed boosting does little so I don't bother taking.

1: AS, 2: TA, 3: AA/SE, 4: SS.

Edited by Paladinum

1,570 posts
9,754 battles
1 hour ago, Rurikon said:

The 4-point Sight Stabilisation skill is a must-have imo. Faster aiming speed is good as you can make minute course adjustments or dodge flak better without having to sacrifice too much accuracy. As to whether you should take it first over the 2nd 3rd-point survivability skill I am not sure. Grabbing the 2 3-pointers (Survivability Expert and Aircraft Armour) first and getting Sight Stabilisation when you have 13 points may be better. But you should definitely be getting it plus the 2 3-point at some point.

As for the rest of the points, it depends on what ship and build you are planning on using. Like for example I am running the 8km torps on my Haku, the idea is that I drop a set of torpedoes at max range and fly as slow as possible, using Engine Boost to slow down the aircraft, so that I can drop all 3 torpedo waves before entering the minimum arming distance. So for that captain I actually avoid Torpedo Acceleration and Plane Speed and take Adrenaline Rush for the Tier 2 skill in addition to Last Gasp.

The rest of my captains are the opposite - they take TA and Plane Speed instead of AR and don't pick Last Gasp until very much later. Imo Last Gasp isn't that useful on CVs with many plane waves as by the time Last Gasp kicks in, those planes are probably on the verge of death so they are probably not going to survive to make their attack run.

As for upgrades, I focus on the Torpedo bomber upgrades - aiming time, HP etc. The exception is for the Haku build I mentioned earlier, for that I run the Dive bomber HP upgrade instead because with the way I use the torps, I don't take much AA damage in the first place.

Sign in to follow this