Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Rina_Pon

Not-so-Pro-Tip : press O for sector and re-equip your AA mod.

9 comments in this topic

436 posts
5,486 battles

Two things I didn't realize had changed in 8.0

1. No more "click to focus AA on a single squad". This has been replaced by being able to focus your AA to either the port or starboard side, or evenly distributed. It takes a few seconds and the buff to the selected side varies with ship class. Press O, click the bullseye on the side you want to enable.

2. Upgrade slot 3, AA mod 2 was automatically de-mounted in any ship you had it on prior to 8.0.  If you remount it, it no longer gives a 20% buff to AA radius, but adds +2 extra flack puffs, whatever that means. I don't know what it means, but I do know it means a significant buff to damage done to enemy planes.

Some other things that I knew already but maybe deserves repeating: for a couple of weeks (it's been extended) you can respec captains for free and as often as you like, and there is no cost to demount upgrade modules. So definitely play around with the different configurations until you find what works for you.

I've discovered that the AA mod 2 is big help to struggling ships, while sector AA can be helpful at times. I don't like the the "press O then mouseclick the sector to select" IU though, I think it's cumbersome and distracting and I expect WG will change it soon to something simpler. Pressing O multiple time to cycle through L, R and Center would work, or O for toggle left and P for toggle right would also satisfy.

Playing tonight there are already far fewer CVs in queue. Even had one T9 game with - gasp - no CVs at all! Everyone feeling sheepish for bringing their AA-armed-to-the-teeth ships to the fight with nothing to use them on. kekekeke

Edited by Rina_Pon

1,188 posts
5,589 battles

welp, player can change hot key for AA sector at option right?

if O key don't work, switching it to suitable key. (I myself pick V because these screen remind me of nano suit mode wheel (which is V key) from crysis :D)

193 posts
4,422 battles
8 hours ago, Rina_Pon said:

Two things I didn't realize had changed in 8.0

2. Upgrade slot 3, AA mod 2 was automatically de-mounted in any ship you had it mounted on prior to 8.0.  If you remount it, it's not longer 20% buff to radius, but +2 extra flack puffs, whatever that means. I don't know what it means, but I do know it means a significant buff to damage done to enemy planes.

It means that there are two extra explosions for the planes to try avoid, flying through them causes significant damage to the entire squadron, so the CV player is forced to go a different direction to attack the target. It makes high tier RN CL's and USN BB's incredibly powerful in CV matches, when CV's actually appear that is.

436 posts
5,486 battles
1 hour ago, darkflame88 said:

It means that there are two extra explosions for the planes to try avoid, flying through them causes significant damage to the entire squadron, so the CV player is forced to go a different direction to attack the target. It makes high tier RN CL's and USN BB's incredibly powerful in CV matches, when CV's actually appear that is.

Yes, I figured something along those lines, but I don't have a feel for the magnitude of the effect: does the number of explosions go from 1 to 3 or 10 to 12, and whether that % change directly correlates with dpm..

Edited by Rina_Pon

436 posts
5,486 battles
5 hours ago, PGM991 said:

welp, player can change hot key for AA sector at option right?

if O key don't work, switching it to suitable key. (I myself pick V because these screen remind me of nano suit mode wheel (which is V key) from crysis :D)

It's not the choice of key that's the problem. It's that a combination of keypress, mouse movement, and mouse click is needed for every adjustment. Try doing that in a Fletcher while trading gunfire with an enemy DD and dodging rockets at the same time...

Edited by Rina_Pon

[ANZAC]
370 posts
12,267 battles
1 hour ago, Rina_Pon said:

It's not the choice of key that's the problem. It's that a combination of combination of keypress, mouse movement, and mouse click is needed for every adjustment. Try doing that in a Fletcher while trading gunfire with an enemy DD and dodging rockets at the same time...

Exactly.  If you could setup to adjoining keys and treat it like a rudder shift I think it would be better.

U start game in neutral AA balance. Need to shift focus to port, push the Left AA key. Them to change to balanced, push the right AA key once, or to focus right double tap. And vice versa. 

Or if  you had a multi button mouse binding this to couple of special buttons would be optimum.

Having to move the mouse to switch AA focus is a major PITA, esp if you are brawling / in the middle of a knife fight. But one thing WG really don't get is UI design.

Edited by j0e90
Additional comment

193 posts
4,422 battles
3 hours ago, Rina_Pon said:

Yes, I figured something along those lines, but I don't have a feel for the magnitude of the effect: does the number of explosions go from 1 to 3 or 10 to 12, and whether that % change directly correlates with dpm..

It means that every long range gun set has two extra explosions per salvo. Each salvo occurs when the guns reload, so on RN CL's and USN CA's and CL's this can be very quick.  For example a Neptune has two sets of long range AA guns, her 113mm secondaries which normally have 4 bursts and her main guns which normally have 5 bursts. By adding the modification both sets fire 6 and 7 respectively. the effect of this means that the gun sets generate a much heavier wall of flak around the ship, making approaching for an attack almost impossible from certain directions.

Flying through a single one of these flak bursts significantly lowers the HP of any aircraft that flies through and with so many flak bursts appearing in front of the squadron, it's very difficult for the CV player to avoid all of them.

And when you take into account the size of each squadron and that they move as a single entity, banking left or right can put several aircraft right in the middle of one of the flak bursts without really intending to do so. 

186 posts
1,474 battles

FLAK should not work like this,

FLAK fragment and shrapnel hit plane at the time of the shell explosion. Those Flak shell fragment/shrapnel do not float with the visible smoke. and visible smoke appear after the shell explosion. There should not be anything in the floating smoke to damage plane if they fly through it.

For ships WG should make HE/AP shell make long.lasting splashes in water, ship could avoid damages if they not running through them

Edited by tsuenwan

261 posts
8,484 battles

I think one had to realize most ship do not get to mount to mount AA module mod.2 .. they only got mod.1 at best and that mean all the mid and some high tier ship simply cannot upgrade to even function in any sense AA .. I've stated and will maintain for all type of sip and every ship even base AA should be able to deter and damage aerial attack and kill the odd one now and then, with some AA invested it should start to kill consistently and full / heavy AA build should murder .. right now its like lottery, I have try full AA build that cannot down a plane for fending off 4 or 5 waves and I have Soviet / RN DD practically wit no real AA to speak of shooting down plane(s) in the open all alone. But the perma spotting is stll there cause the squadron now loiter for multiple attack and unless one clear the sky around detection range of ALL planes and tha's practically impossible.

I know how to manage the sector but as DD and CL player when under attack or advancing and obviously being spotted when AA are needed, one is already over worked y needed to manage the throttle , rudder, and trying to see where is incoming shells and torp, and on top we need to keep spotting where is the plane and actively managing sector this is imposing extra work to the captains without giving the result ( in fact the current AA is definitely less for DD and CL ) .. AA just do not work that way, you might have a Captain yelling to his helmsman " Port , Hard Starboard, port, starboard, all ahead, 3/4 ... " but a captain do not do that to is AA crew, he tell the crew which one to target and the crew throw everything at it all the time until its either shoot down or out of range, the 127mm do not stop because it enter mid range or close range  

Sign in to follow this