Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
3_1415926

Pan-Asian special commanders‘ portraits may cause negative impressions

8 comments in this topic

2 posts
3,888 battles

Hi developers,

Thanks for producing special Pan-Asian commanders! They sound amazing except their portraits and names.

Apparently, both commanders' dress up as a Qing Dynasty naval officer, and their names sounds Manchurian. However, as a Chinese national I would like to suggest that such appearance similar to Fu Manchu has a very negative impression in modern China, and it is usually considered as an offensive stereotype. I would not anticipate the feeling of other nations, but the Qing Dynasty can be some "Imperial legacy" to other Asian countries and may cause other political or cultural problems.

Meanwhile, WOWS already has commander designs for pan-asia that are perfectly fine. I would suggest redesigning these commanders to make them consistent to other nations, that have portraits in their 1940s.

a47cc990-23b2-11e9-b329-38eaa7374f3c_330x.png

a45082c2-23b2-11e9-bcfb-38eaa7374f3c_330x.png

45e2782e-738b-4235-9f94-bbd1892ae86f.jpg

274 posts
8,539 battles

I humbly agree with the comment .. image on racial stereotyping is so so typical of western media and its not worse than offensive wording used against a certain gender / race / age group etc etc ... and also on that even the uniform on it is wrong 

Super Tester
4,104 posts
4,575 battles

Why does everyone on this server get upset and things like this.

I wouldn't care if I got compared to some bogan. In fact I would love to see a Mike Nolan Captain

274 posts
8,539 battles
5 hours ago, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

Why does everyone on this server get upset and things like this.

I wouldn't care if I got compared to some bogan. In fact I would love to see a Mike Nolan Captain

That is because you are not the on receiving the kind of racial stereotyping, so would you in the face call an African American ( or any of that race ) by the N word ; go talk to any minority group race, gender, age, anything and see how its like on the receiving end of such. When I am young and naive I too also fall trap to this , thinking its fun to poke fun at somebody because he / she's of some gender or age group or race. Now older and hopefully wiser I know its not in the best of decency to poke fun at others nationality, race, history and so on so forth

Super Tester
4,104 posts
4,575 battles

If it truly was a racist image then I would agree with you.  Are they not historically accurate images and names?   Its certainly not a racist name or image such as slanty eyes and buck teeth that were portrayed in earlier times such as WW2 propaganda which were racist images.   But its not so please don't try to lecture me on how bad actual racism is.  

Its similar to be complaining that Paul Hogan's "Put another Shrimp on the Barbie" is racist when its nothing more than a poor understanding of a market.

8 hours ago, Mechfori said:

That is because you are not the on receiving the kind of racial stereotyping

Is that assumption also racial stereotyping

Edited by RalphTheTheatreCat

274 posts
8,539 battles
7 hours ago, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

If it truly was a racist image then I would agree with you.  Are they not historically accurate images and names?   Its certainly not a racist name or image such as slanty eyes and buck teeth that were portrayed in earlier times such as WW2 propaganda which were racist images.   But its not so please don't try to lecture me on how bad actual racism is.  

Its similar to be complaining that Paul Hogan's "Put another Shrimp on the Barbie" is racist when its nothing more than a poor understanding of a market.

Is that assumption also racial stereotyping

Pls tell me you are Chinese in ethnicity .. I got your point though .. and in short I do agree .. the name I would not see any issue, but the image ... lol .. I think most non Chinese or those who are not actually versed in Chinese naval history probably see nothing wrong with the image but those who are in the know or had some proper historical research will tell you they got it wrong . Especially the hat and the beard ( in real Qing Dynasty navy beard is actually prohibited on ships for hygiene reason , only the shore genera allowed, if one try to find real Qing Dynasty navy images where they actually operate the ship and not in their Dress Ceremonial Uuniform one can see that the difference and error is very apparent ). I see the original tech tree Pan Asian Commander image as nothing wrong though it refer to a different period.  I do not try to lecture anyone but I try to point out that UN-intentional portrait of such racial stereotyping is everywhere and some time people do not realize how much hurt it can made.

Say for some decades back I work for a while in Malaysia / Indonesia and I learn not to use the word Far East and instead South East Asia .. why? Both Far East & Near East is terms and the Far is only in reference to the Colonial rule Europe .. guess what natives especially elderly ones who had experience the colonial time think about it.

I think most who had not first hand experience do not likely recognize this kind of social aspect of any media. Like I've stated when I am young and naive I do fall into this same trap oof poking fun at others, I know now otherwise. Intentional racial and culture appropriation is bad, but un-intentional one can sometime be even worse cause that mean the person initiating it had find it simply normal affair and had no concern where the former happen to recognize the hurt and intentionally doing it

Super Tester
4,104 posts
4,575 battles

Then perhaps instead of saying the image is racist you need to reiterate the fact that it is historically inaccurate and therefore wrong.

The racism card is played too often and too loosely.

Sign in to follow this