You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Mingfang47

Graphics Performance Differences

4 comments in this topic

Super Tester
2,725 posts

Good day, Developers~!!

This question will probably technical for the community to answer as this is usually answered by respective game development team or even someone who have this knowledge.

The gaming community mainly understands that better videocard means higher FPS (depending on settings). Or lower graphic settings means higher FPS.

But.... few months ago, I learned this from other game developer (specifically, Reto-Moto) on their flagship Shooter game, it regarding.... not familiar on the technical terms they used.... this is regarding FPS differences on how graphics performance "borrowing" from the processor or the videocard on different graphics settings.

Example of that behavior in "that" game using same desktop specs I have & based on observation:

Graphics settings: default Low settings (Not custom Low)

FPS: 40

According to the developer, on this settings the game "borrow" the workload from processor rather than the videocard.

Graphics setting: default Medium settings (Not custom Medium)

FPS: 55

According to the developer again, on this settings the "borrow" the workload from videocard rather compare to the mentioned above.

I believe Reto-Moto confirmed this and the members of the community forum & steam forum there recommended to use medium settings for better FPS.

So.... as I already mentioned all things above.

The main question.....

is there existence in WoWs regarding the game graphics borrowing from processor or videocard on different settings?

Wherein medium settings have better FPS due to the game itself "borrow" from videocard and while low settings have lower FPS due to the game "borrow" from the processor.

Regards,

Mingfang47

Alpha Tester
416 posts
17 battles

I don't have too much knowledge on actual resource allocation in game development, but I want to try answer, happy to be corrected. 

Short answer to your bold question above, is no.

WoWs uses .dds files for it's tank images, wrapped around model files. The higher your graphics settings (or lower), the different sized mip map is used (It's a .dds thing) and all particle effects are cached into ram when you load the game. 

Minimum graphics settings will default load on the CPU, as the assumption is that a weak PC would not have a dedicated GPU so saves time. 

Medium would assume that there is a GPU present, so moves the required information there for processing on the (unassumingly more-powerful-that-CPU) GPU, and is then displayed to your monitor.

This could be 100% incorrect, or vaugley correct, hope it gives you something? lol

Super Tester
2,725 posts

WG's back magic.

I know right?

I don't have too much knowledge on actual resource allocation in game development, but I want to try answer, happy to be corrected. 

Short answer to your bold question above, is no.

WoWs uses .dds files for it's tank images, wrapped around model files. The higher your graphics settings (or lower), the different sized mip map is used (It's a .dds thing) and all particle effects are cached into ram when you load the game. 

Minimum graphics settings will default load on the CPU, as the assumption is that a weak PC would not have a dedicated GPU so saves time. 

Medium would assume that there is a GPU present, so moves the required information there for processing on the (unassumingly more-powerful-that-CPU) GPU, and is then displayed to your monitor.

This could be 100% incorrect, or vaugley correct, hope it gives you something? lol

Yes it did clarify a few especially the underlined statement.

Now still need to know if there is such a thing about.... if the WoWs game client "borrowing" or giving work to CPU or videocard like I mentioned those 2 examples. Something like that.

I did encounter someone here said that he had (a bit but not big) improvement FPS in high graphics settings than medium. He was surprised about it.