Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Otago_F111

Getting Gud ... maybe

10 comments in this topic

[HMNZ]
248 posts
4,561 battles

I started this game at the bottom, as you do, so DD's was all I focused on. My win rate (damage, survival etc) was and is still is shite... until now.

Now I'm not a WR focused person, but when you see your stats saying "BAD" all the way down you do tend to wonder if you are a "Noob" and maybe getting good is not going to work.

After slowly gathering other types via coal and doubloons (and santa crates) I decided to have a change and try some CV and BB I have.

So the Massachusetts B with a secondary build looked good (with the Tsar grenzsky at 19 points) and played a few, got sunk most times and then things started to come right.

so in the last week I may have had 10-15 games and things were getting better each game to a point where I have confidence in it.

So I thought I would check my stats today and see how well I was doing in it ... well bugger me I said.

So heres my conclusion.  playing DD only (and being new too) you are not going to get anywhere near the average WR, and other data, as the amount of damage from Tier 1-T 7 DD is nowhere near the amount a player CAN get from CA, BB play and especially above Tier7.

So if there others out there, do not despair over WR, there can be number of reasons for BAD stats. Also the commander level has a fair amount to do with it.

but then I may have had a lucky streak and I am a noob!! :cap_horn:

761696856_massB1.thumb.jpg.4fca196f2e92c67d48c19b95079e2fd3.jpg790007302_massB2.thumb.jpg.8cd67c523f26d828588616d9cac39082.jpg1038345287_mass3.thumb.JPG.d68778a1502e0e3faa6fba723858d3cb.JPG

• Cool 1

[AUSNZ]
Beta Tester
824 posts
8,103 battles

It's always satisfying to try and improve your game, and hopefully see results.  Win rate over an extended period is the best indicator of how well you are going, although other stats like damage (depending on class), survival rate etc can give you an idea of where you may be succeeding or failing.  Win rate is the big one though, the point of the game is to win.

Awareness is the first step to improvement, you need to be able to objectively recognise where you are going well and where you need to improve.  This can be difficult if you want to feel you are playing well but aren't actually doing so. 

The number one key to the game is tactical awareness.  You need to be constantly aware of where everyone on both teams are (including ships you can't see, or even have yet to see), then use your experience to make informed analysis of where ships will be and what they will be doing.  This is the first step to outpositioning the enemy, and also not getting caught out by unexpected enemy action.

The depth of the game really lies in this area. It's a simple game on the surface, but there is a great deal to know, and the amount of information you need to process in a battle is significant.  This challenge is what makes the game enjoyable imo.

I'd be happy to do an analysis of your play and suggest areas to focus on, feel free to post or pm me a DD replay, one where you think you played quite well.  Happy to do this either privately or publicly for general feedback as you prefer.  If you want to have a game I'd be happy to play some with you as well.

[TF44]
182 posts
5,857 battles

The WR is rather interesting. We are all lined up on the normal distribution around 50%. Where we all sit depends on a combination of skill and luck, plus I suspect other factors such as playing regualarly as part of a division and whether people started on their second or thord accounts etc. 

You could just be unlucky and regularly end up in potato farms like I did last night. I decided to play Charleston and St Louis to help prop up my dismal WR and in most matches ended up on teams with significantly fewer clan members (assumes most clan members are quite experienced) and ended up 2/7 WR despite topping the charts most matches and trying to play team support as much as I could, given the limited scope these ships have of influencing matches

[SMOKE]
651 posts
10,034 battles

there's night when I had long wining streak and then there's night when I had the reverse .. I am not real die hard gaming and do not have the time to do it either and so I mus say I focus on the FUN .. to me it must be fun to play a ship and tha's why rotinely I go back to the like of Tier 2 or 3 on some ship as they are just fun to play .. damage, WR to me is well bonus.

[911]
367 posts
9,991 battles
54 minutes ago, scottme said:

The WR is rather interesting. We are all lined up on the normal distribution around 50%. Where we all sit depends on a combination of skill and luck, plus I suspect other factors such as playing regualarly as part of a division and whether people started on their second or thord accounts etc. 

You could just be unlucky and regularly end up in potato farms like I did last night. I decided to play Charleston and St Louis to help prop up my dismal WR and in most matches ended up on teams with significantly fewer clan members (assumes most clan members are quite experienced) and ended up 2/7 WR despite topping the charts most matches and trying to play team support as much as I could, given the limited scope these ships have of influencing matches

Sounds like me yesterday - took my Charleston out to do a bit of seal-clubbing but only managed 33% wr. Gave up after a loss where I got 4 kills and did 69k dmg.

PS I don't think the wr follows a normal distribution. I suspect the unicums have an undue influence and the average wr is probably somewhat less than 50%.

[HMNZ]
248 posts
4,561 battles

@Moggytwo        thanks for you response and I will certainly take you up on that offer at some stage (or when I can figure how to see replays). damn there are some good people on this forum.

yeah scotty I hear you, but that is what everyone has to deal with no matter how good you are.

there are a lot of factors (in my case) as to how fast you can accomplish this, some are naturals like Flambas for instance.

me Im the other side of fifty and this is my first online game (though I did a PC game C&C back in the day) so the WASD buttons etc are a learning curve on its own. Im picking the younger ones take to this like a duck to water.

My first division was with max last week, so that was new. so apart from that, I've been soloing. I think joining an active clan might be a good thing.

though my stats are crap, they are getting better and this is maybe because playing at T8 where you encounter T10. This really makes you have to think about the strategy more than say T5-7 and CO-OP.

Im also finding the structure of a battle in higher tiers has more a plan rather than "random yolo" stuff.

Having full/ higher commander skills is definitely a help, hence I am trying to use 14 plus points as a starter for random battles with new ships.

Of course I do stupid things like head off with 3 or 4 ships in one direction, then nek-minute I'm all by myself, as everyone has bailed to the other side...awareness yup.

So what I'm getting at is how do you plan to progress from here?

maybe jump in the deep end and learn at the high level, to take back to lower levels? apart from DD's most of my CA and BB are premiums, and all but 2 of the 7 19 point captains are premiums which I can shuffle to several ships.

Hey just putting it out there for your thoughts and comments.  I have a thick kiwi skin.

[TF44]
182 posts
5,857 battles
1 hour ago, Moldavia said:

Sounds like me yesterday - took my Charleston out to do a bit of seal-clubbing but only managed 33% wr. Gave up after a loss where I got 4 kills and did 69k dmg.

PS I don't think the wr follows a normal distribution. I suspect the unicums have an undue influence and the average wr is probably somewhat less than 50%.

Yes, the curve will be skewed - the average must still be 50% as each match produces equal winners and losers, but you are correct in saying that most people will have a WR of maybe 47-49% (mode). So if your win rate is 47%, chances are that more players have 47% WR than any other %.

If you progress too quickly through the ranks on 1st account (e.g. leveraging prem ships and ops), chances are your WR will tank. And T8+ you get to meet all the players with the fancy pancy double and triple Rimmer Salute emblems.

[HKN]
2,634 posts
6,936 battles

try play in division.

go to discord to get teammates

[SH0T]
836 posts
9,696 battles

You are correct, playing DD is the worst line to improve WR. BB and CA are both much easier to learn and play especially these days of radar spam.

[HMNZ]
248 posts
4,561 battles
13 hours ago, scottme said:

If you progress too quickly through the ranks on 1st account (e.g. leveraging prem ships and ops), chances are your WR will tank. And T8+ you get to meet all the players with the fancy pancy double and triple Rimmer Salute emblems.

people have more than one account?

8 hours ago, dieselhead said:

You are correct, playing DD is the worst line to improve WR. BB and CA are both much easier to learn and play especially these days of radar spam.

thanks for that, time to spread the wings.

Sign in to follow this