You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Fear_the_Reaper

Turrets being blown up completely

Turrets being blown up completely  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Should turrets being blown up completely until the end of the match be removed from the game?

• Yes it is unbalanced having this feature.
    • No it is a good balancing feature.

78 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

This seems like a pointless feature with absolutely no balancing factor, do not get me wrong i am not at all questioning turrets being damaged and taken out of action until they are repaired but when they are blown up completely due to a random act of RNG it seems a bit unfair that they can never be repaired again when you have maybe a 1% chance of doing the same thing to the ship that just took out your turret, i have been in a game where the last enemy ship was a Yamoto... with 3 blown up main batteries.... i can imagine his frustration.

Anyone else agree they should remove the feature which has gun turrets blow up completely and be out of action until the end of the game?

Maybe replace it with a longer repair time for what ever kind of hit causes it to happen.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Nah, I like it. Makes things a little more interesting, especially when you're playing a cruiser and showering a BB hoping for a lucky shot to knock out the turret.

Super Tester
1,177 posts
4,099 battles

Too bad there is only destroyed turrets and no destroyed engine/rudder, would be fun.

I'm assuming that it would be too much for some players to handle.

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

Nah, I like it. Makes things a little more interesting, especially when you're playing a cruiser and showering a BB hoping for a lucky shot to knock out the turret.

im not saying that should not happen, i am saying that it should have lets say a 3 minute repair time, being knocked out completely would be alright if we were going for realistic, if thats the case can i have all my anti torpedo weapons on my american cruisers?

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

im not saying that should not happen, i am saying that it should have lets say a 3 minute repair time, being knocked out completely would be alright if we were going for realistic, if thats the case can i have all my anti torpedo weapons on my american cruisers?

Those are called HE shells.

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

Those are called HE shells.

well it would actually be having control over my secondaries which are supposed to be more accurate but sure lets go with spamming HE in the water at them with main batteries.
Edited by Fear_the_Reaper

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

well it would actually be having control over my secondaries but sure lets go with spamming HE in the water at them with main batteries.

You'd be surprised at how murderously effective this is on cruisers. Take for example, Mogami, with her 15.5cm triples and a 10 second reload. One or two good hits from a salvo of 9-15 shots will knock out multiple modules, and this happens very frequently against other CAs and DDs. Once modules are disabled, you can easily switch to AP for the finishing blow. Given how the USN cruisers have better guns than the IJN ones, they're a lot more capable of setting stuff on fire and knocking out modules to cripple ships.

For battleships, the interesting thing is that a near-miss from a HE shell still appears to be capable of knocking out modules. It's worth it to switch to HE for one or two salvoes when you've found the range to play havoc with the regen and repair skills on enemy BBs. Kind of pointless to use HE on enemy cruisers, though, since one or two good AP hits will kill any cruiser outright. And shooting at DDs with the primary armament is either an exercise in futility, or a pray-the-DD-doesn't-turn at close range, in which case, AP shells are better to just kill the damn things in one hit.

Super Tester
1,677 posts

its also very crazy when fast firing cruisers such as the rather insane Cleveland. I didn't realize I silenced the Fuso's turret C/number 3 in the amidships as I was pummeling it with HE in the hope of setting it on fire.

its also a small notifier for battleships that if fish was their worst enemy, a dive bomber or a well placed shot can effectively remove a portion of their firepower.

... now this makes me fear the KGV battleship if the RN rolls out in the far future if either of its turrets are silenced.

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

You'd be surprised at how murderously effective this is on cruisers. Take for example, Mogami, with her 15.5cm triples and a 10 second reload. One or two good hits from a salvo of 9-15 shots will knock out multiple modules, and this happens very frequently against other CAs and DDs. Once modules are disabled, you can easily switch to AP for the finishing blow. Given how the USN cruisers have better guns than the IJN ones, they're a lot more capable of setting stuff on fire and knocking out modules to cripple ships.

For battleships, the interesting thing is that a near-miss from a HE shell still appears to be capable of knocking out modules. It's worth it to switch to HE for one or two salvoes when you've found the range to play havoc with the regen and repair skills on enemy BBs. Kind of pointless to use HE on enemy cruisers, though, since one or two good AP hits will kill any cruiser outright. And shooting at DDs with the primary armament is either an exercise in futility, or a pray-the-DD-doesn't-turn at close range, in which case, AP shells are better to just kill the damn things in one hit.

what? I think you have missed what i was saying completely... in real life American cruisers are covered in guns with two roles, shootings planes down and blowing torpedoes up before they can hit the ship...

If we are going to go for realistic and have turrets blow up until the end of the match lets go full warthunder and have it so all modules on the ship can be knocked out until the end of the match, lets have it so ships all have their anti torpedo weapons so destroyers become useless, lets give battleship secondary batteries their actual firing ranges...

See the problem here? (Incase you do not they are all terrible ideas for an arcade style game like this...)

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

I am honestly starting to think the anime community want to do everything they can to make this game terrible before it is out of BETA considering they are all more concerned about that Kentai collection dribble than actually playing world of warships.

Considering they make up 2/3 of the BETA testers they do have the majority opinion after all....

gzUuZl1.jpg

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

Losing a turret permanently is nowhere near a realism problem as you make it out to be. Your examples are exaggerated and sheer hyperbole.

I find the ability to lose an entire turret permanently a pretty interesting gameplay mechanic. It forces players to think carefully about maintaining their course under fire, and seriously punishes captains who get their T crossed and take concentrated fire on their front and rear. And when players lose the turret, they have to think about the loss of combat capability. The sort of progressive damage system in WoWS is, I feel, better than the sort of game where your vehicle functions completely perfectly until you lose than one final hitpoint, at which point everything blows up and you lose. That sort of thing is pretty immersion breaking.

Also, that crack about the anime community is uncalled for. Most of us are fully capable of divorcing WoWS from any other games we might play, and we do provide constructive feedback in the forums. 

Super Tester
1,677 posts

if you want a more specific bit, then how about trying not to prolong your exposure to enemy fire and dive bombers or if you want to shift, pleading for the RNG for turret destruction to not be that severe? I believe there's a reason why putting the gear that reduces the chance for the turrets to go boom is there for the gear 1 slot.

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

if you want a more specific bit, then how about trying not to prolong your exposure to enemy fire and dive bombers or if you want to shift, pleading for the RNG for turret destruction to not be that severe? I believe there's a reason why putting the gear that reduces the chance for the turrets to go boom is there for the gear 1 slot.

Idk why people attack my play style when ever i make suggestions, none of you have any idea how i play my ships.

Someone getting a lucky shot into a turret and completely knocking it out 1 time out of 10 is stupid, the turret being knocked out until it can be repaired works and is balanced but unless knocking turrets out is made a lot easier it needs to be removed because letting RNG dictate battles leads to un needed frustration... it adds no functional balancing factor to the game, the Yamoto who had all of his main batteries knocked out is a great example, there were 2 ships left to kill him and he could not do a thing about it no matter how good of a player he was.

Losing a turret permanently is nowhere near a realism problem as you make it out to be. Your examples are exaggerated and sheer hyperbole.

Sure it is, Hull breaches do not sink ships straight away so they should not be repairable, fires should only be put out after lets say a minute no repairing the fire out, engine blown up? no new pistons at sea sorry captain, rudder fell off? well there is no replacement sorry.

The turrets being blown up is just as unbalanced and unfair as each of those things would be if they were in the game.

Also, that crack about the anime community is uncalled for. Most of us are fully capable of divorcing WoWS from any other games we might play, and we do provide constructive feedback in the forums. 

Sorry i forgot about how helpful poi being the only message in chat for the first week was, I love how the most popular topic on the forum with over 1700 posts is not to do with this game...

5qHlEP6.jpg

Edited by Fear_the_Reaper

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

You're losing one turret out of 4-6, and two guns out of many. That's maybe a 25% drop to combat capability at the very most. Crippling? Yes. But completely, utterly unbalanced? No. Furthermore, most battleships will frequently be destroyed before they are mission-killed by losing all their turrets. The Yamato example you gave is an exception rather than the norm.

Your other "realism" examples are, quite frankly, nowhere near comparison to losing a turret, since major hull breaches or permanent loss of propulsion or steering tips the balance too far towards realism as compared to arcade. Losing a turret isn't that far down that spectrum.

Also, I fail to see how being an anime fan is relevant to being able to provide feedback about the game. Just because we don't agree with your vision of the game doesn't mean we're out to ruin the game.

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

Meet the first time I lost a turret for the entire battle.

Clearly this devastating blow to my damage potential cost us the victory in this very close battle.

And all I needed was turret no. 5 to work... *single tear*

OEykika.jpg

DAAAAAMN YOOOOOUUUU NUMBER FIVE!!!!

Oh yeah... constructive replies... uhh....

I don't think a removal is necessary since it's less frequent than ammoracks in WoT and not even close to being as detrimental to the vehicle.

Then again I'm one of those weird guys who only have a few Billotte medals in WoT despite having played since the beta for that game.

I guess I just prefer beating the potatah out of people instead of getting beaten up myself. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Retia

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

[Redacted]

Discussion/linking illegal/inappropriate content. Warning issued.

Please ensure that when you link to an external site, you must ensure that content complies with the Forum rules

~Centurion_NZ

Edited by Centurion_NZ

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

Meet the first time I lost a turret for the entire battle.

Clearly this devastating blow to my damage potential cost us the victory in this very close battle.

And all I needed was turret no. 5 to work... *single tear*

OEykika.jpg

DAAAAAMN YOOOOOUUUU NUMBER FIVE!!!!

The horror of losing 1 of 6 guns.. see how that goes for you in a Nagato fighting an Amagi.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

The horror of losing 1 of 6 guns.. see how that goes for you in a Nagato fighting an Amagi.

Had that happen before, still managed to kick ass before going down. it's not about the rate of fire, but the rate of hits. Even if you're firing six shots instead of eight, six hits is sufficient to ruin an Amagi's day. Heck, 2-3 well-placed hits is enough to ruin an Amagi's day.

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

Had that happen before, still managed to kick ass before going down. it's not about the rate of fire, but the rate of hits. Even if you're firing six shots instead of eight, six hits is sufficient to ruin an Amagi's day. Heck, 2-3 well-placed hits is enough to ruin an Amagi's day.

Sure, if the person shooting at you in the Amagi is firing HE and can not aim a shot to save his life you might win, but in every other situation you lose because of that one lucky shot that managed to destroy a turret. would you be opposed to that element having a 3-5 minute repair time?

I am assuming yes considering you oppose everything i say on the forums lol.

4,163 posts
1,874 battles

So what makes a lucky shot in the turret worse off than, say, a lucky shot to the citadel taking off upwards of 20k hp?

Shit happens. There's a nice spectrum between casual arcade, immersion and realism. Casual arcade games are fun, but WoWS isn't that sort of game. It seeks to strike a balance between a pure casual, arcade experience versis realism without progressing too far towards either. That's been the design philosophy since WoTs, and it makes the game stand out. Having a turret destroyed and adapting to it is part of that immersion. Like I said earlier, it's a crippling hit, but nowhere near as unbalanced as you make it out to be.

And before you start, I'm attacking your arguments. This is a discussion forum, after all. It's meant for people to discuss things. If there wasn't disagreement, it wouldn't be much of a discussion. More of a circlejerk instead. I'd advise you to take disagreement less personally and quit throwing around the "weeaboos are ruining the game" to players who disagree with you.

Edited by Syanda

Beta Tester
771 posts
1,374 battles

So what makes a lucky shot in the turret, say, worse off than a lucky shot to the citadel taking off upwards of 20k hp?

Shit happens. There's a nice spectrum between casual arcade, immersion and realism. Casual arcade games are fun, but WoWS isn't that sort of game. It seeks to strike a balance between a pure casual, arcade experience versis realism without progressing too far towards either. That's been the design philosophy since WoTs, and it makes the game stand out. Having a turret destroyed and adapting to it is part of that immersion. Like I said earlier, it's a crippling hit, but nowhere near as unbalanced as you make it out to be.

So that is a yes or a no to the 3-5 minute repair time?

Ahh bugger it i honestly care about your opinion as much as you seem to care about mine.

Lets agree that we disagree and leave it at that alright...?

Super Tester
2,500 posts
1,535 battles

So what you're saying is that I should play a couple battles with the Nagato once I get back to it

in hope that I'll lose a turret in a 1v1 battle vs an Amagi once to realise just how painful it is to fully lose a turret for the entire

duration of a battle.

But what if we have a plot twist and I actually aim well enough (+luck) to destroy two of the Amagi's turrets... or what...

just what if I'm crossing his T?

Actually... what if the twist is...

... that it'll take me a couple hundred battles to even lose a turret, because it's about as rare as having

gunner&loader wounded in World of Tanks... unless of course you get hit... a lot.

Shyamalan,

Edit:

I have a dream... a glorious one.

One day, the forum will stop imploding whenever I try to use spoilers.... .... a man can dream, right?

Edited by Retia