Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Max_Battle

Expand Operations

29 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
1,659 posts
10,569 battles

I would like to see Operations expanded.

I would like to see the scope of tiers, nations and difficulty expanded.

Recently I have played a lot of operations with organised, coordinated teams and it has been extremely enjoyable. Really, really fun.

I then tried to play some randoms again (forced to do so by campaign demands) and encountered a run of potatoes which is not enjoyable and makes me question why I play this game at all - considering it has always been the PvP focus that has motivated me to build ships, make captains better and gain skill. To go from seven player organised and fun teams to the rot which are puggers is not fun and does not encourage me in any way. I'm not going to make another angry post. We all know the issues. I am not going to restate them here. When I go into a match dreading what my team will do rather than looking forward to an entertaining game then I have to question why I am doing this for "fun" at all.

I'm not going to rag on the inevitable "that's why I play coop" posts but I'm sorry, coop is boring and lame for any kind of ongoing challenge, skill building or enjoyment. That's how I feel. At least operations can provide some challenge but could be much better if expanded.

I don't know what Wargaming's business model requires people to do in game for them to profit, but I have bought premium ships to play in Operations and bought premium time to do the same.

I still spent money on the game while playing operations.

When I invited people to join up for operations, many people joined it - there is a market for it, or at the very least a market and place for people who communicate in English to hook up and play enjoyable Operations.

I would really like to see Operations expanded. I know they have a lot on their plate at the moment. I'd still like to see Operations expanded.

There are many games with end game "raids" and "dungeons", or in other words, set pieces that people can learn, have fun in and still find challenging.

Could work here.

All I know is, the PvP side of the game has become increasingly frustrating for me lately but the Operations have been fun. For myself, I was still doing the Ops to build up my PvP potential but then when actually going back to PvP, I wondered why I had even bothered.

689 posts
5,409 battles
17 minutes ago, Max_Battle said:

I would like to see the scope of tiers, nations and difficulty expanded.

nations

WHERE ARE MUH AXIS OPERATIONS???? REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

difficulty

Well they already have Hard mode for Halloween Operations. No idea why they haven't done that for other Ops. Hard mode can be an Op but with higher tiers. But T8 is the hard tier limit. Please don't add T9-10 Operations. If they do, then they must be very very hard. Like Random Battles, fighting and playing mind games against team mates.

Edited by Paladinum

Beta Tester
1,659 posts
10,569 battles
2 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

WHERE ARE MUH AXIS OPERATIONS???? REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Agree. I haven't counted but I think German ships are the second largest component of my fleet. I think many people agree. I have seen others asking the same thing.

3 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

Please don't add T9-10 Operations. If they do, then they must be very very hard. 

I would like them to add t9-10 operations and yes, they should be hard and require coordination and planning.

689 posts
5,409 battles

CVs in Ops will use RTS mode. Trigger me some hardcore RTS CV players :Smile_hiding:

56 minutes ago, Max_Battle said:

There are many games with end game "raids" and "dungeons", or in other words, set pieces that people can learn, have fun in and still find challenging.

What I can see is a campaign that requires players to complete tasks in Operations only. That expands into fully fledged single-player questing experience (each task takes you into a different Op).

WoWS becomes an online open-world game :Smile_trollface:

This reminds me that there hasn't been a German legendary commander campaign yet. Even though they took Reinhard Scheer (as Reinhard von Jutland), I'll still rooting for him. And no German free xp/Arsenal ship. How hard is it to copy-paste FdG? Germany was the fourth nation to have a full researchable ship line! And one of the four large and most active navies in WW2! Their record in WW1 is even better! 

Edited by Paladinum

Beta Tester
291 posts

Indeed operations are much more fun when you get a large group of players together (randoms in op of the week can be just as frustrating as potato random battle teams though). Having a wider expansion would be most welcome. And of course Tier 10 would be a fantastic option. Perhaps they could allow the clan wars rentals to be used, if only for the "Operation of the week" or something similar. 

More ops based on historical battles would be ideal. 

Edited by Old_Spud_1965

615 posts
6,720 battles
1 hour ago, MatterCore said:

I remembered the first version of Operations, T5s very funny

Emile vs Mogami and Hipper :Smile_trollface:

I remember back when they still had T5's in Ops, and they had the Dunkirk event on. Event went for two weeks or so, having Operation Dynamo as 'Op of the week' only for the first week. There were the two T5 DDs made especially for Operation Dynamo. Good for Dynamo but bad for everything else. They could only be used in operations. Which was fine when Dynamo was Op of the week. Week after Dynamo, Killer Whale. For some reason, WG had made the two DD's able to go in ALL ops, not just Dynamo. You ended up with these T5 DDs, unsuitable for everything but Dynamo, in Killer Whale. Most of them were killed quickly. It astounds me that people took them into other ops, but I suppose they wanted captain XP, or they were their only T5's or something.

Funny times.

Beta Tester
1,659 posts
10,569 battles
1 minute ago, mr_glitchy_R said:

Where is the battle of Jutland gosh dammit.

Exactly.

However, as much as historical engagements would be cool and I would definitely play them, the expansion of non-nation-specific Operations would be great too.

Narai (for example) is great because you can take whatever you want in.

My guess is they are scared about making Operations that "remind people about the past" as if some neo-fascist uprising will be born in World of Warships and take up the fight once more...

689 posts
5,409 battles
5 minutes ago, mr_glitchy_R said:

Where is the battle of Jutland gosh dammit.

After German and British 2nd BB lines maybe.

Time to detonate some Tea drinkers.

689 posts
5,409 battles
5 minutes ago, Max_Battle said:

However, as much as historical engagements would be cool and I would definitely play them, the expansion of non-nation-specific Operations would be great too.

Jutland but it's USN vs IJN (Colorado vs Nagato)

MN vs RM (Littorio vs Richelieu)

Also all them CV battles of the Pacific. Allows 5v5 T8 CVs. Intense :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by Paladinum

57 posts
1,749 battles

I totally agree with this sentiment.

Ops can be both the most fun and most frustrating part of this game. An op with great teammates is a true joy to play, but even these can get repetitive after awhile. A bad op is...well...let's just say that there are a few I just don't even try to play when they come up as op of the week. 

Also: we NEED some more high tier ops. I honestly don't know if I'm ever going to get past tier 8 just playing co-op and the ops already available! 

[LBAS]
475 posts
1,524 battles
4 hours ago, Paladinum said:

Also all them CV battles of the Pacific. Allows 5v5 T8 CVs

Battle of Midway or Battle Of Philippines would be a great Operation for CVs. 

Operation Ten-Go would be another good option to go, by playing USN CVs against Yammy and it's Convoy. But it's gonna be short. 

173 posts
1,132 battles

Fully agreed.  More people would play operations if it wasn't so damn inaccessible most of the time.  I wish I could just do operations than endure those dreadful random MMs but I haven't got enough ships in my fleet nor enough disposable money to spend on top tier premiums...oh well.  

Edited by Stormcloak_Rebel

615 posts
6,720 battles

@Stormcloak_Rebel I think a lot of players would like ops to escape randoms.

Great things about ops, you are fighting against a consistent opponent. There are a variety of different strategies to use, but you don’t have to out think him. You only need a base skill, you don’t have to fear coming up against a more skilled opponent.

Players in ops ar generally working for the same objectives. Wins and stars. Not always, but more so than randoms, or at least more objective focused than in randoms.

Unfortunatly, after playing some with some great teams over the weekend, I was again introduced to pugs in ops over past two days.

When did it become common to lose a ship in the first 5 minutes? Or to finish the op with less than half the team alive? 

318 posts
2,336 battles

Yeah guys. I agree with just about everything said in this thread. I do get frustrated at times with not having the possibility to put my magnificent T.8 BB,s to use in Op's. Vanguard, Tirpitz/Bismarck, and North Carolina/Massachusetts/Alabama and now Roma. T.5 as well. Some nice ships down there as well. Texas for instance.

Alex B_T23

Edited by Bengal_Tiger23

75 posts
662 battles

The range of nation-based options for operations are huge, e.g Narvik, Cape Spada, Coral Sea, Leyte Gulf, a full blown Solomon islands campaign, Relief of Tobruk and if you like lost causes, the battle of Sunda strait. This is just from WW2.

Throw in Jutland, Dogger Bank, Battle of the Falklands for WW1 starters.

The WW1 battles would require an expansion of the battlecruiser options. SMS Seydlitz at Dogger Bank is crucial as the loss of HMS Hood can actually be traced back to this ship in that battle.

Pre WW1 you could have the 1905 destruction of the Russian fleet by the Japanese navy.

689 posts
5,409 battles

For Jutland, I think something like a PvP Op can be nice. Basically, a reenactment (mode) of certain naval battles. I came up with this in a whim so not exactly well thought-out.

This mode allows up to 14 players to join (7 each side). The team will, of course, have AI-controlled ships.

Whatever ship you're at in the Port, you'll be playing a random ship in the (legendary) Battle of Jutland. However, there will be some AI-controlled ships telling you what to do. All you have to do is doing exactly what the game tells you. If you happen to be playing HMS Queen Mary, bad luck because in the battle, she exploded and sank.

What I came up with is that you can respawn in another ship (battleship/battlecruiser) appeared in the battle. So, if you first spawned in Queen Mary, and when the game tells you to explode (LOL), you'll simply respawn and continue the battle in another ship which was controlled by AI. Not sure if the game will allow that.

Edited by Paladinum

Beta Tester
1,659 posts
10,569 battles
7 hours ago, Otago_F111 said:

I would like to do more "team" stuff, but having to use a mic is not agreeable with the person who is also in the same room, whom I must obey :Smile_child:

We have occasionally used voice comms when playing as an organised team, mostly on @Taipan17's TFF clan discord but most of the time we have just used in game type chat.

For many of the people I have played Narai with, for example, the organisation is as easy as asking, "who right, who left?". We take turns going right because it is easy XP.

Sometimes when on discord, some people don't talk, they just listen and if there are one or two people speaking and organising, this can work too.

I don't always feel like being on voice comms and some people never feel like using voice.

You can still join in and play as a team if that is your intent.

You just need to want to win and have fun! 😄

Beta Tester
790 posts
3,686 battles

I want to see a Operations involving Tier 8 .

Or WW1 Based when you only used Tier 4 BB's Dreadnought Ironclad Botes with Armored Protected Cruiser only and no Early DD.

13 posts
4 hours ago, Grumps_1963 said:

The range of nation-based options for operations are huge, e.g Narvik, Cape Spada, Coral Sea, Leyte Gulf, a full blown Solomon islands campaign, Relief of Tobruk and if you like lost causes, the battle of Sunda strait. This is just from WW2.

Throw in Jutland, Dogger Bank, Battle of the Falklands for WW1 starters.

The WW1 battles would require an expansion of the battlecruiser options. SMS Seydlitz at Dogger Bank is crucial as the loss of HMS Hood can actually be traced back to this ship in that battle.

Pre WW1 you could have the 1905 destruction of the Russian fleet by the Japanese navy.

I like the sound of this thread and the ideas being put forward.  Definitely room for WG to come up with some of these 

1,697 posts

I'd love to have a Schleswig-Holstein or a Tsarevich in my port, they'd be good t2 ships, & they could challenge Dreadnought, Bellerephon, Mikasa & other t2/3 ships...

Ordrazz

Sign in to follow this