Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
scommy

Why is smokescreen camping the focus?

18 comments in this topic

73 posts
4,139 battles

The cheesy easy way to win. Why have WG made this incredibly stupid tactic the cornerstone of the entire game?

[CLAY]
595 posts
6,675 battles

I have not found it much of a problem recently. It’s nowher near as bad as it was, since the smokescreen changes. Radar spam at high tiers makes it difficult to use effectively. Especially since there are so many Kronstadt’s around now. And any DD captain worth their salt will send torps towards smoke.

I think most people will be glad of smokescreens come 8.0 and we get CV spam.

Mostly, I think smokescreen camping is only a small element in the far larger meta of concealment being the cornerstone tactic.

673 posts
5,383 battles

Like Gryrus said, smokescreen is torpedo magnet. A smokescreen signals that a ship (mainly a DD) is present. Either you send your metal fish in, pop radar, or just randomly shoot into it for random citadels (against RN CLs, that happens). I only do smoke HE spamming when it's safe to do so, just to farm some damage.

Staying as far from the objectives as possible while farming damage is the pinnacle tactic of this game. That is far more harmful than smoke camping.

Super Tester
4,085 posts
4,562 battles

I've got to agree that it is not what you are making it out to be.  Smokescreens do nothing but attract torpedoes and high ROF guns.  In high tiers radar eats it alive.  Paladinum summed it up. Not being noticed while racking up damage is where the game is won

4,744 posts
18,690 battles

sees smoke screen

laughs

launches spotter plane

DS the (Edited) smokecamping

I may not be active Drakon, But I am still here - You know the rules
Profanity, Post Edited, User Sanctioned
~lengxv6 (the ghost of moderators present)

115 posts
5,229 battles

Sometimes, I activated the smokescreen as a bait, so the reds, think I'm in there and waste their time, torpedos, or consumables as they think I'm camping in those smokes. :Smile_hiding:

Usually, I use the smoke to cover my movement, especially when I must retreat under so much attention from the reds.

Edited by Sharr_Dextera

476 posts
8,070 battles

Smoke camping is just asking to be torped. It the first thing I send torps at if im playing DD.

Low tiers you can get away with it to a degree but high tier its just suicide.

Edited by dieselhead

4,744 posts
18,690 battles
2 hours ago, drakon233 said:

sees smoke screen

laughs

launches spotter plane

DS the (Edited) smokecamping

I may not be active Drakon, But I am still here - You know the rules
Profanity, Post Edited, User Sanctioned
~lengxv6 (the ghost of moderators present)

eyy, leng:Smile-_tongue:

Beta Tester
1,659 posts
10,569 battles

Two words that gamers use to deride a tactic used successfully against them:

1. Spam
2. Camping

They have inherently negative connotations but:

Rapidly firing the correct ordnance in a given situation that is likely to achieve results is not "spamming HE" - it is using the right tool for the job. You may rather not be on fire, but the enemy would rather that you are. Would you prefer to be shot with AP? Turn side on and I will oblige.

Positioning yourself in a tactically advantageous position where you can fire at the enemy and they cannot return effective fire on you is not "camping" - it is using battlespace awareness to achieve your objectives.

468 posts
4,675 battles

IMO This is how you should use the smoke screen

1. Hide behind island
  2. Make sure that your shells can go through the island
  3. Pop smoke screen
  4. Disable your AA guns
  5. Start spamming HE until your opponents dead
  6. Never stay in binocular state
  7. Be aware of everything that goes behind you

And that's all I know about smoke screen tactics.

[CLAY]
595 posts
6,675 battles
44 minutes ago, Max_Battle said:

Two words that gamers use to deride a tactic used successfully against them:

1. Spam
2. Camping

They have inherently negative connotations but:

Rapidly firing the correct ordnance in a given situation that is likely to achieve results is not "spamming HE" - it is using the right tool for the job. You may rather not be on fire, but the enemy would rather that you are. Would you prefer to be shot with AP? Turn side on and I will oblige.

Positioning yourself in a tactically advantageous position where you can fire at the enemy and they cannot return effective fire on you is not "camping" - it is using battlespace awareness to achieve your objectives.

They have negative connotations? Weird, I just thought they were descriptors for certain types of behaviour, which could be good or bad depending on the situation.

"Spamming", or "to spam": to continually and repeatably take the same action in rapid succession; I.e. continually firing AP, HE, Torpedos, chat commands etc...

"Camping", or "to camp"; to stay in one location, at least partially concealed; I.e. Cleveland camping behind that island waifu.

They can be annoying tactics when they work against you, but I think everyone has used them at least once. I know that I will use the terms as descriptors in a non insulting way. If I intend to use it in an insultiung way, I will try to preface it with an insult, such as 'idiot'. EG: That idiot camper got torpedoed in his own smoke.

261 posts
8,484 battles

Smoke camping, no that is not the issue with capping these days and certainly not even easy by any means, pop a smoke screen and instantly enemy where you are and would act accordingly .. on low tier and mid tier tat might work a while but until enemy guns push that is , and on that with many of the mid to high tier games, that actually is the issue regarding capping ; namey the unwillingness for guns to PUSH and then that mean the light force is not being supported properly and this in turn discourage them to go cap and this in turn further aggravate the situation where guns and even CL and DD running just wide flank, so Domination just become  another standard battle yet again. I think the upcoming Arms Race would be a good variation and pretty much force the teams not to ll sit back and wide. Certain element of that game mode should be introduced to revamp Domination

145 posts
3,540 battles
9 hours ago, Grygus_Triss said:

yup agree here, and smoke only lasts a minute or so.

I will "camp" if there is only one ship close and no others until the smoke runs out, or things alter. yes had a few delete's but that's how it goes.

[HMASW]
1,683 posts
18 hours ago, Sharr_Dextera said:

Sometimes, I activated the smokescreen as a bait, so the reds, think I'm in there and waste their time, torpedos, or consumables as they think I'm camping in those smokes. :Smile_hiding:

Usually, I use the smoke to cover my movement, especially when I must retreat under so much attention from the reds.

But you ARE red, that's why you get so much attention !! :Smile_trollface:

Ordrazz

Sign in to follow this