Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Rina_Pon

Gneisenau is my new luv bote.

8 comments in this topic

[BLESS]
737 posts
7,698 battles

1699045049_Screenshot(479).thumb.png.c7df9d8d0ad84f48f118240abcca75c1.png

As a side project I've recently been grinding the KM BB line, arriving at Gneisenau earlier today.

Konig: Since there are still plenty of CVs at that tier, and plenty of overconfident DDs too, a AFT/BFT captain + secondaries mod makes for constant hilarity. The small maps mitigate the wonky main guns. Farm CQE awards left and right.

Bayern: Nice looking ship. Not nearly as fun as Konig. MM isn't as forgiving, the engagement distances tend to be beyond secondaries range. Long distances, really wonky guns, and very slow speed all add up to frustration. You know where you want to be, but a lot of games you just can't get the ship there in time.

Scharnhorst: This was the second premium ship I bought, a couple of years back. Lost my first 7 games straight, but I've got the hang of her now. Bar none the best ship for bullying underage cruisers, and a solid battlecruiser in any circumstance.

Gneisenau: Sistership of Scharnhorst of course, switching 3x3 283 mm rifles for 3x2 380 mm guns. Some of the AA armaments have been upgraded, and it tops out at 2 kts faster. Quite possibly the most beautiful ship in the game.

Now the shiny horse is a fun ship, don't get me wrong, but Gneis plays as a battleship. A really, really, really fast battleship. 32 knots before flags. Go in, hit hard, and get out. Now this is a ship which is always in the right place at the right time. Yeah yeah, I know you trade DPM, but really this BB has so much going for it. Seriously raunchy AA and secondaries, solid armor, ... and torps. It's the speed which brings it all home though.

Edited by Rina_Pon

404 posts
3,047 battles

She performs better than Scharny in many ways but she's still lacking in 3 guns and that can't be overlooked

[LONER]
102 posts
3,549 battles

I did alright in it because speed and belt armour, plus people forgetting it's torpedoes, but I ended up rage selling it because German "accuracy" on so few guns that you can just about miss broadside battleships entirely with well aimed salvoes at under 10km.

[BLESS]
737 posts
7,698 battles
On 1/15/2019 at 8:34 AM, luftkopf said:

I did alright in it because speed and belt armour, plus people forgetting it's torpedoes, but I ended up rage selling it because German "accuracy" on so few guns that you can just about miss broadside battleships entirely with well aimed salvoes at under 10km.

Did it get a buff? Of course I run the main battery dispersion mod, but the gun accuracy of Gneisenau does not feel unreliable to me. I scored 120k dmg in my last random battle - no torps, no secondaries, just with the main guns. 3-4 citadels iirc. It's true there are fewer big strikes, but the individual hits are big - and they add up over time.

With a top speed of 33.5 knots with flags, and 6 guns, I play Gneisenau like a Furutaka with one of the Gundam-style powered combat exosuits. In T5-7 MM especially, where dreadnoughts are still commonplace,  you not only outpace the BBs, but some cruisers also. The meta has been fairly DD free as of late, too, which of course plays to the ship's strengths.

Given favorable circumstances, it is truly a terror of the high seas.

[POI]
941 posts
9,372 battles

I like my Gneisenau over other tier 7 BBs. Fast, relatively tough, hard hitting guns (when they do hit). 

Guns aren't that reliable, but when it hits, it hurts. Maybe it's just me, but the main gun dispersion mod doesn't seem to have much effect on gun dispersion, in the end I have gone for secondary build 😛

2,634 posts
7,030 battles

Just wait till you unlock Herr Bizmarck

[LONER]
102 posts
3,549 battles
4 hours ago, Rina_Pon said:

Did it get a buff? Of course I run the main battery dispersion mod, but the gun accuracy of Gneisenau does not feel unreliable to me. I scored 120k dmg in my last random battle - no torps, no secondaries, just with the main guns. 3-4 citadels iirc. It's true there are fewer big strikes, but the individual hits are big - and they add up over time.

With a top speed of 33.5 knots with flags, and 6 guns, I play Gneisenau like a Furutaka with one of the Gundam-style powered combat exosuits. In T5-7 MM especially, where dreadnoughts are still commonplace,  you not only outpace the BBs, but some cruisers also. The meta has been fairly DD free as of late, too, which of course plays to the ship's strengths.

Given favorable circumstances, it is truly a terror of the high seas.

Interesting. Now you’re reminding me of its good points. Maybe once I’m done with/give up on the Prinz Eitel Friedrich grind I will buy it back, and see if it is better now. It remains my most played ship, even though I haven’t played it since I got my Bismarck, and I’m in the FdG now. I did enjoy the flexibility of being the fastest battleship around...

Edited by luftkopf

Beta Tester
570 posts
3,063 battles

its a crap ship , just run secondary gun build , but itr can be fun when brawling cause you have torps

Sign in to follow this