You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Paladinum

PT 0.8.0 opinions

27 comments in this topic

6,074 posts
10,381 battles

AA looks really cool and sh*t.

Round 1:

AA underpowered.

T4 CVs don't have torpedo planes.

Hard to play, esp. dive bombers.

Rocket planes are cool but weak AF.

Can't control the CV directly.

Round 2: 

AA decimates everything, even T4 AA. Freaking Orion... seriously.

T4 CVs have torpedo planes. (Only) Torp planes can summon fighters, possible bug.

Still hard to play, esp. dive bombers.

Rocket planes are cool but still weak AF.

Still can't control the CV directly.

Minor graphic issue with Shokaku's planes (rocket or torp).

6,074 posts
10,381 battles

Kinda forgot to mention but it'd be nice if WG release some infos about RN CVs. They appeared in PT 0.8.0 and there's nothing on Dev Blog.

[FFD]
173 posts
6,764 battles

since theres so much AA intense and it makes so hard to even hit someone with torp, as you can see where bomb is dropping from, and also long arm time means more calculation blah blah, and ofc with fighter so overwhelming, I think you need to be more rewarded for successful torp and player needs to be more punished to eating a torp after all this situation, i mean at higher tier with current state of torp damage you dont really do much damage. all the time we fought bots who doesnt really dodge. I kinda think the damage should be buffed by 50% than whatever it is now.

And rockets so far I saw it does equal damage to bbs and dds, and almost doesnt create fire at all...And I also think rocket should work like HE shell in world of Tanks, in ex weak armor = more fire.. strong armor = no damage.

Dont mind me, its just my opinion. lets see how current state goes after hitting on live server :) :fish_aqua:

Beta Tester
1,280 posts
15,019 battles

Round 2 AA is brutal, and not just in high tiers. The continuous damage seems fine (maybe even too low) but the flak blasts are ridiculous. As mentioned above, even a Tier IV battleship can decimate your entire squadron in an instant - and this is just from bots. Actual players are able to boost their flak blasts significantly with the sector system, skills, modules, and flags. Unfortunately, when I was on Test there wasn't enough players online to get proper matches so it was mostly bots.

So I think we've found the two extremes between Round 1 and 2. Somewhere in the middle (and probably closer to Round 1) should be good enough for the initial deployment.

• Cool 2

Beta Tester
1,280 posts
15,019 battles

Rocket Planes - I think these are okay. Their damage is low but they're very flexible and easy to use. More damage might make them too powerful against Destroyers.

Torpedo Planes - USN squadrons seem to be much more sensitive to movement than IJN when making an attack run (getting the spread indicator to close in) but otherwise torpedoes seem to work well enough. They don't hit as hard as the ones we have now and have a much lower flooding chance, but they're fairly easy to use.

Dive Bombers - These are hard mode. Unlike torpedoes and rockets, it's very difficult to adjust the aim point once you begin an attack. It feels very awkward. However, they can be quite powerful if you're able to land a good strike. Also keep in mind that this was against bots that weren't even evading. Maybe a change to the aiming reticle size or shape would make these planes a bit more useful.

6,074 posts
10,381 battles

@Unraveler There's one thing that I noticed throughout PT 0.8.0, AD keys to control plane turning are too sensitive, and the other method of turning, aka using the mouse, is very INsensitive.

In the 2nd Round, IJN CVs become so much easier to play while it was the opposite in the 1st Round.

Rocket and torpedo planes on IJN CVs can be quite satisfying to play. US rocket planes can be very good (if you play the HVARs). US torpedo planes, not so much. While IJN torp attack run closes the reticule as the attack timer runs lower, US one closes, then opens again (???).

Dive bombers are very hard. If I get the reticule on top of the target and press attack, it's guaranteed to be a miss. The duration for a bomb run is also very, very short.

Beta Tester
1,280 posts
15,019 battles

I've been practising with Dive Bombers against stationary battleships in the training room and my bomb hit rate is still only around 50%. They definitely need to be improved somehow. A smaller reticle that can be adjusted more easily (with boosting/braking as well as laterally) would help a lot and make them much less frustrating to use.

Beta Tester
1,280 posts
15,019 battles

Here's some screenshots. Target is a stationary (but with active AA) Monarch bot.

Approaching target:

PLvOXep.jpg

So I think I'm supposed to dodge between the flak bursts...

UEcr1ee.jpg

My planes survived! Sort of. Thanks to Survivability Expert and Aircraft Armor, which are both essential skills for CVs now:

B5fmJiw.jpg

Now for the killing blow:

Xe1UAOl.jpg

Wait, two AP bomb hits for a grand total of 5,016 damage? That's it? My remaining planes are heavily damaged and will struggle to make a second pass, let alone a third. Imagine if that Monarch was controlled by a player: moving, evading, and with enhanced AA. And even so, it's still a lone, isolated battleship - supposedly the best possible scenario for a CV strike.

Edited by Unraveler

2,675 posts
17,680 battles

Playing T4 atm. Can't get near bbs. Most of the time entire squad killed before in range. A silly joke.

6,074 posts
10,381 battles

They also increased aircraft servicing time. In Round 1 I could do a run of an aircraft type, when I return to the CV I can launch another full run of the same type, esp. rocket planes. Now it takes like half the match to get another full squadron ready.

Can't seem to deal damage in US CVs at all, even Midway. Why: AA too powerful now + aircraft servicing time also too OP (as in long).

Getting the numbers right quickly isn't Lesta's strong point, I can tell you that. 

Edited by Paladinum

2,675 posts
17,680 battles

My cv just beached itself. My ability to do anything about the enemy coming to destroy me, nothing. Yes I did try setting different waypoints. Another silly joke.

Edited by keskparane

6,074 posts
10,381 battles
21 minutes ago, keskparane said:

My cv just beached itself. My ability to do anything about the enemy coming to destroy me, nothing. Yes I did try setting different waypoints. Another silly joke.

The worst/weirdest part of the rework is the un-ability to directly control your CVs when a squadron is on the air.

To reverse, you need to put a waypoint directly behind the CV.

[REPOI]
Senior Moderator, Alpha Tester, ST Coordinator, Privateer, Clantest Coordinator
480 posts
5,683 battles

Moved to Public Test Feedback
~TheAzure

6,074 posts
10,381 battles
3 minutes ago, TheAzure said:

Moved to Public Test Feedback
~TheAzure

Thanks, I know it's not right to post elsewhere, but General Discussion has more traffic...

2,675 posts
17,680 battles
47 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

The worst/weirdest part of the rework is the un-ability to directly control your CVs when a squadron is on the air.

To reverse, you need to put a waypoint directly behind the CV.

Actually you can kinda control cv when squad in air. Just go to map and set new waypoints.

Waypoint behind doesnt make much difference when cv wedges itself between 2 islands.

Silly thing is sometimes you basically have to micro manage the cv anyways so why remove the ability to do so?

Edited by keskparane

6,074 posts
10,381 battles
20 minutes ago, keskparane said:

Silly thing is sometimes you basically have to micro manage the cv anyways so why remove the ability to do so?

Rumor has it the game engine can't handle it.

[REPOI]
Senior Moderator, Alpha Tester, ST Coordinator, Privateer, Clantest Coordinator
480 posts
5,683 battles
On 1/13/2019 at 10:37 AM, Paladinum said:

Thanks, I know it's not right to post elsewhere, but General Discussion has more traffic...

It's really on the choice of word, if you named topic "opinion on CV rework and AA". It'd be fine in General discussion. 

6,074 posts
10,381 battles
5 hours ago, TheAzure said:

It's really on the choice of word, if you named topic "opinion on CV rework and AA". It'd be fine in General discussion. 

True. Noted.

[ULAG]
13 posts
6,748 battles

Round 2

1. Played with US Tier X cruiser Worcester . Detection did not go down after getting undetected. it stayed like 10 sec from the time I got undetected.

2. CO-OP MM seems to be broken. There were no CVs in BOT team( though friendly have CV), Unable to Check AA in CO-OP mode.

[SPWPK]
32 posts
17,720 battles

Wondering if it would be possible to get the targeting reticle to match aircraft speed.

I have lost count of the number of times I would make an attack with rockets/bombs while using speed boost (or brake) and the payload lands well clear of where the reticle was located.

Might as well not have it at all and just guess.

[SPWPK]
32 posts
17,720 battles

And I must say DD AA fire borders on the ridiculous

I was playing a Shokaku and was trying to stop a lone Akizuki who wiped out every squadron I tried to send against him as he closed with my CV.

The DD finished the game with 47(!) of my aircraft shot down.....and it was only a bot!

Edited by Mykhal
grammer

17 posts

My opinion, flak is Nightmare, even 1 single flak from DD if you miss to dodge you'll miss half your Squadron HP.., N.Carol, cleveland etc. have more insane AA dmg,, just go around their outer AA buble and your squadron tear apart, specialy for IJN squadron. Ryujo have a DB drop issue that take a loong time to impact. and also the DB drop circle is not consitent, it move forward when your climbing, and move backward when your diving. and still no explanation how to tight the DB drop circle. sometimes it's tight so fast even when your hard turn and sometimes it's not thighten even when your not controlling your squadron. the moving squadron following mouse cursor little bit annoying when you fly and try to look around. if you hard turn when activate the attack run, sometimes you'll trigger bug which your squadron circeling around before start the attack run.

6,074 posts
10,381 battles

Round 2: Orion is no fly zone.

Round 3: Fuso is no fly zone.

How is that even possible?