Jump to content
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Leo_1408

I need to vent ...

35 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

10
[CLAY]
Member
89 posts
7,437 battles

Don't anyone take this too seriously, but how many times have you taken care to make sure there are no friendlies between you and the enemy, only to have some dopey cruiser nowhere near your field of fire turn unexpectedly into the path of your spread of torpedoes? There is a clear audible warning in the game about torpedoes in the water - why does no one seem to look around? I never get hit by friendly torpedoes, cos as soon as I hear that sound, I scan all around and take evasive action - why can't others? OK - rant over! :Smile_child:

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
528
[LBAS]
Super Tester
1,465 posts

"At least 50% of any population will have below average intelligence" - Anonymous

  • Cool 5
  • Funny 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
279
[LBAS]
Member
2,634 posts
6,886 battles
  1. some might play without sound
  2. some too focus on the kill
  3. some have low IQ
  4. some like to see other become pink
  5. bot
  6. they play Azurlane too much ( we all know Azurlane ship love the incoming torpedo...)
  • Cool 2
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
565
[CLAY]
Member
1,029 posts
7,766 battles

Yeah, this does happen. Ideally you should never fire torpedos if it is possible for a friendly to put themselves in the vicinity, regardless of which direction they are presently travelling.

However, that's impractical, because you would never launch torpedos then.

You take the best care, as you've said, to not launch torps ahead of the current course of allies. If they change course... well...

All I know is that no matter how silly the guy who gets hit is, no matter how carefully you launched those torps. They player who launched the torps will always get the blame. Somehow people think that you should know what they were going to do.

Of course, it does not help that in the vast majority cases it IS the fault of the person who launched the torps.

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
105
[TROLL]
Member
263 posts
2,062 battles

 

3 hours ago, XP_On said:
  1. some might play without sound
  2. some too focus on the kill
  3. some have low IQ
  4. some like to see other become pink
  5. bot
  6. they play Azurlane too much ( we all know Azurlane ship love the incoming torpedo...)
1

Those are the worst kind! 

Edited by Stormcloak_Rebel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15
[TLS]
Member
58 posts
1,359 battles
4 hours ago, LtDan_IceCream said:

"At least 50% of any population will have below average intelligence" - Anonymous

Pretty sure Jingles said it

Or was it for WoT ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
735
[MRI]
Member
1,829 posts
10,728 battles

It takes two to tango, as the saying goes. In situations like this it is usually both parties at fault.

While the other party could have avoided the torps, it is still your responsibility to make sure the path is clear. If you want to take the risk and launch the torps anyway, then go ahead, but be prepared to face the consequences.

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
325
Member
1,296 posts
5,879 battles

no friendly between me and enemy.

but there's friendly behind said enemy and my torp just happen to reach there

 

this happen very often when 2 DD come into a knife fight, circle around and try to torp each other. 

most of player (me include) will cut off surrounding awareness in that situation... =w=

Edited by PGM991
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
174
[SMOKE]
Member
552 posts
9,678 battles

Let's just say more than often ... and even worse they turn and run into the torp even after I've warn them over Chat

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52
[TF44]
Member
181 posts
5,604 battles

Also a good chance they may have been Bots disguised as player accounts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
497
[AUSNZ]
Beta Tester
816 posts
7,994 battles

As everyone says, if there is even a possibility that a friendly could turn into your torps, don't fire them.

A good way to ensure this is to be in the first line, which is where you should be in a DD.  If you are torping in a cruiser, you will often not be able to safely.  IJN cruisers seem to be the absolute worst for friendly torping, since they have long range torps but are usually positioned in the second or third line.  Combine that with players lacking awareness and you have the perfect storm of friendly torping.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10
[CLAY]
Member
89 posts
7,437 battles
51 minutes ago, Moggytwo said:

As everyone says, if there is even a possibility that a friendly could turn into your torps, don't fire them.

A good way to ensure this is to be in the first line, which is where you should be in a DD.  If you are torping in a cruiser, you will often not be able to safely.  IJN cruisers seem to be the absolute worst for friendly torping, since they have long range torps but are usually positioned in the second or third line.  Combine that with players lacking awareness and you have the perfect storm of friendly torping.

There is always the possibility that a friendly could turn into your torps - specially with long distance (8km or 10km) fish. I'm usually with the other DDs on the front of the battle, and trying to CAP. But I don't just sit there waiting for enemies to come into range - I'm usually always mobile, so directions can change, but I never launch torps when friendlies are in my line of fire, or even close. It's no biggie, but short of never using torpedoes, I wish there was a way of avoiding hitting careless or unaware friendlies. :Smile_unsure:

  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
497
[AUSNZ]
Beta Tester
816 posts
7,994 battles
3 minutes ago, Leo_1408 said:

There is always the possibility that a friendly could turn into your torps

No there isn't - if you are in front of all the friendlies, and launch your torps at the enemy, there is absolutely no way a friendly ship could reach your torps even if they were actually trying to do so.  Even when I'm launching Black torps, which have a very long 13.7km range and only do 43 kts, I can safely ensure that every launch I do has no chance of hitting a friendly.

You can choose to carry out a torp launch that has the possibility of hitting a friendly, and sometimes we make that risk assessment and do it, but it's on the launching ship if that torp hits a friendly.  Even if a friendly avoids your torps, if you've made that ship maneuvre to avoid them, or limited the space they can operate in, then you may well have got them killed or limited their effectiveness, potentially losing your team the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
612
[O7]
Member
2,382 posts
15,239 battles

Yeah sure. I'm engaging 2 or 3 enemies, finely tuning my angle to not present broadside to either, working to move to a position where I can disengage, I've got time to read your chat and stop to look around for where your torps are. I've died many times avoiding friendly torps because it compromised my positioning.

Edited by keskparane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
930
[CLAY]
Beta Tester
1,919 posts
11,721 battles

Two things I have done:

1. Complain about other players on this forum - sometimes in the form of an angry post.

2. Fire torpedoes in a place where they can hit teammates.

Two things I try not to do:

1. Complain about other players on this forum - sometimes in the form of an angry post.

2. Fire torpedoes in a place where they can hit teammates.

Two things I will probably do in the future:

1. Complain about other players on this forum - sometimes in the form of an angry post.

2. Fire torpedoes in a place where they can hit teammates.

  • Funny 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
739
[HMASW]
Member
1,830 posts
2 minutes ago, Max_Battle said:

Two things I have done:

1. Complain about other players on this forum - sometimes in the form of an angry post.

2. Fire torpedoes in a place where they can hit teammates.

Two things I try not to do:

1. Complain about other players on this forum - sometimes in the form of an angry post.

2. Fire torpedoes in a place where they can hit teammates.

Two things I will probably do in the future:

1. Complain about other players on this forum - sometimes in the form of an angry post.

2. Fire torpedoes in a place where they can hit teammates.

So, I see the points that you are making, of what was, what is, & what will be.....

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
353
[1NATN]
[1NATN]
Privateer
543 posts
18,059 battles

 

4 hours ago, Leo_1408 said:

There is always the possibility that a friendly could turn into your torps

No, there really isn't. If there's any chance that a friendly may drive into your torps, DON'T FIRE YOUR TORPS. People have a hard enough time dealing with the enemy in front to have to worry about friendly fire from the rear, not to mention the fact that your torps, whilst well intentioned, may very well result in your ally having to make a turn that makes him vulnerable to the enemy. 

Edited by Bex_o7
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
105
[TROLL]
Member
263 posts
2,062 battles

 

16 minutes ago, Max_Battle said:

Two things I have done:

1. Complain about other players on this forum - sometimes in the form of an angry post.

2. Fire torpedoes in a place where they can hit teammates.

Two things I try not to do:

1. Complain about other players on this forum - sometimes in the form of an angry post.

2. Fire torpedoes in a place where they can hit teammates.

Two things I will probably do in the future:

1. Complain about other players on this forum - sometimes in the form of an angry post.

2. Fire torpedoes in a place where they can hit teammates.

You seem conflicted. 

Don't think twice just dew it. Torp those filthy cruisers if they get in the way!

5ba1c1125400e.jpeg

Edited by Stormcloak_Rebel
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
565
[CLAY]
Member
1,029 posts
7,766 battles
7 hours ago, Moggytwo said:

You can choose to carry out a torp launch that has the possibility of hitting a friendly, and sometimes we make that risk assessment and do it, but it's on the launching ship if that torp hits a friendly. 

Most people who play torpedo equiped ships make that decision at some point. We look, launch the torps behind that friendly, away from his current path of travel, towards the enemy behind him; only to see the friendly turn around, suddenly change his path into that of our torpedos. Did we make a bad call? Maybe. But we cannot predict others actions. Should we not have fired? Maybe, depends on the stakes. Should they have paid more attention? Maybe, but you cannot really fault their actions, they cannot predict actions either. Should we not have fired? Maybe, but you must accept the consequences either way. Possible friendly kill or low damage, especially if you are in a DD which focuses on torpedos.

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10
[CLAY]
Member
89 posts
7,437 battles
9 minutes ago, Grygus_Triss said:

Most people who play torpedo equiped ships make that decision at some point. We look, launch the torps behind that friendly, away from his current path of travel, towards the enemy behind him; only to see the friendly turn around, suddenly change his path into that of our torpedos. Did we make a bad call? Maybe. But we cannot predict others actions. Should we not have fired? Maybe, depends on the stakes. Should they have paid more attention? Maybe, but you cannot really fault their actions, they cannot predict actions either. Should we not have fired? Maybe, but you must accept the consequences either way. Possible friendly kill or low damage, especially if you are in a DD which focuses on torpedos.

Good, realistic post. It's not always possible to be miles ahead of the cruisers and battleships. And in a changing battle, unexpected things happen - like what happened to a friend. He launches a spread of torpedoes with not a friendly in sight - only to have a allied cruiser pop out from behind an island straight into their path. These things happen, but they are not always unavoidable. In over 6,600 battles, I have had loads of torpedo alerts, but have never been hit by a friendly torp (and that's not cos friendlies have never fired a torpedo in my direction). You could say that is down to luck, and that would be partly true, but I always react to the torpedo warning sound if I can. So while I take full responsibility if my torps hit a friendly, it would help our team if some players took more notice of the alerts.

And like I said - getting pink is no biggie - it's just like two battles away from going back to normal - but I don't like weakening the team by doing that. I also take the point made by a couple of posters that if there is a probability of hitting a team  member - you shouldn't launch torpedoes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
528
[LBAS]
Super Tester
1,465 posts
4 hours ago, Max_Battle said:

Two things I have done:

1. Complain about other players on this forum - sometimes in the form of an angry post.

2. Fire torpedoes in a place where they can hit teammates.

Two things I try not to do:

1. Complain about other players on this forum - sometimes in the form of an angry post.

2. Fire torpedoes in a place where they can hit teammates.

Two things I will probably do in the future:

1. Complain about other players on this forum - sometimes in the form of an angry post.

2. Fire torpedoes in a place where they can hit teammates.

tenor.gif?itemid=7251415

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
186
[BOTES]
Modder
551 posts
4,256 battles

nobody would normally expect torps coming from the general direction of the teammates. By the time torpedo alarm sounds, one's reflex would prompt them to look at the direction of the enemy, not you, and that make them more suspectible to eating your torps.

 

 

Edited by 9mm1n

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
87
[HMNZ]
Member
210 posts
4,315 battles

had a couple of pinks in my Asashio. 

Bit like doing a cross-field kick with a balloon, by the time it gets 20km, the wingers are way in front :)  but sunk way more of them than us, so all good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
565
[CLAY]
Member
1,029 posts
7,766 battles
9 hours ago, 9mm1n said:

nobody would normally expect torps coming from the general direction of the teammates. By the time torpedo alarm sounds, one's reflex would prompt them to look at the direction of the enemy, not you, and that make them more suspectible to eating your torps.

 

 

If you do not expect torps to be coming from the direction of teammates, you have not been playing this game long enough.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
612
[O7]
Member
2,382 posts
15,239 battles
52 minutes ago, Grygus_Triss said:

If you do not expect torps to be coming from the direction of teammates, you have not been playing this game long enough.

Sad because it's true. Just had an Aoba torp ally Budyonny. I moved out of his line to the enemy. A few minutes later and ally BB only just avoid next set.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×