Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Ranork

Prince Eitel Friedrich or PEF

64 comments in this topic

[HMAS]
Beta Tester
56 posts
6,597 battles

Please reply and list what there is to like or love about this ship.

IMO it is seriously un-balanced with nothing to love about it whatsoever.

Its AP is woefully inadequate and this coupled with its dispersion means that a miracle has to occur to get a citadel on a broadside cruiser at any ranges more than that of the secondaries i.e around 6 km.

In a close in brawl with nothing but broadside of the enemy visible I have fired a full broadside salvo into it only to watch shells dip uselessly into the water and for the whole salvo to do less than 3,000 HP of damage.

The HE does more damage (shitty fire chance) than AP in all but the very rare cases.

The turrets turn too slowly, it has speed but that just allows you to get into trouble quicker.

Its made like a matchstick and the slightest piece of HE sets it on fire.

Once I receive all the STEEL from the campaign I will have a SIGH of relief and park it to collect dust in the garage.

Oh the AA is okay but when 8.0 drops and the CV rework comes into being it will be as usefull as all other AA (in other words not at all).

This Ship needs some TLC otherwise it will sit gathering dust and be consigned to the history books.

[HMAS]
Beta Tester
56 posts
6,597 battles

P.S I failed to add that both Horizontal and Vertical dispersion is bad, shell velocity is bad, concealment is terrible.

In order to get average Tier VI BB damage you need to invest Captain Skills heavily in surviveability (Superintendent & Survivability expert) and Fire prevention and this means you can't invest into secondaries.

Even its secondaries come into play way too late for her  to be of any influence.

43 posts
3,727 battles

It is very underwhelming. Best option is to spec for secondaries have your crew dismantle the primary guns and throw them overboard to shed some weight for extra speed.

Then sail right up the middle of the enemy team with secondaries blasting away. then find the biggest juiciest highest tier BB and ram it. then return to port as you have done all you can for the team :cap_win:

[1NATN]
481 posts
16,215 battles

I always try to find a redeeming feature with any Freemium but I struggle with the PEF. OK, it's kinda tanky and the AA is decent without being great but that's about it. The main guns are soooo disappointing, it just feels so futile trying to do damage. I've dropped a 19 point secondary focused captain in it as it feels like the most effective way to use it, but because it's tier VI it doesn't get the full benefit of the captain's skill and I've only had one or two close quarters experts awards in the space of a dozen or more games.As such, the mission chain to unlock steel feels about as long winded as unlocking special upgrades for Tier X's, it's just not fun. I haven't resorted to spamming HE with it, but it's crossed my mind more than once. I think once this particular campaign is over it'll get about the same amount of use as the Graf Spee.

A bit of a shame really.

[LBAS]
686 posts
8,024 battles
6 hours ago, Ranork said:

In order to get average Tier VI BB damage you need to invest Captain Skills heavily in surviveability (Superintendent & Survivability expert) and Fire prevention and this means you can't invest into secondaries.

Even its secondaries come into play way too late for her  to be of any influence.

just no mate, you doing it wrong

If you planned on survivability, go for jack of all trade and you got yourself 1 point,maybe preventive maintenance or just leave it

Survivabilittty only gives you 2100hp..

Edited by Gummilicious

Beta Tester
1,207 posts
8,331 battles

I wonder if she's been purposely de-tuned due to the upcoming CV Rework? Prinz Eitel Friedrich shares the exact same long-range AA suite as a fully-upgraded Bismarck so any buffs to Bismarck's AA (being done right now on Test), PEF will also benefit from. Could potentially make her an AA monster at Tier 6, depending on where they want Bismarck's AA power level to be.

Failing that, there's probably not much chance she'll receive any buffs now that she's been given away for free.

168 posts
1,879 battles

Why people keep forgetting? No matter how good the dispersion written, a german ship is a german ship. Theres no guarantee where the shell goes. but in exchange youre also never getting citadel blapped as well. It also has good AA. 

I recommend you to upgrade for AA build, in upcoming CV rework, Japanese bombs seem to have more pen than current american bomb, it doesnt have any problem citadelling anything (except dds and some cvs) 

Just think that its a premium Gneisanau with one extra turret and no torps. and act like a mid range gneisnau do.

Edited by Labeat

17 posts
15,354 battles

I enjoy Pretzl, 

I find she is effective against cruisers and secondaries give dds a scare, the  key i find is manoeuvre,  always be shifting rudder.

Worst tactic is sit behind island and poke forward batteries out ...

476 posts
5,339 battles
2 hours ago, Labeat said:

a german ship is a german ship

It's what I wanted to point out, even though I don't have her. Many have problems with AP shells and dispersion. Well duh, she's a freaking GERMAN ship.

Horrible accuracy and shell performance of main guns, that's the GERMAN BB thing. Even 420 mm can be crappy because it's GERMAN.

Edited by Paladinum

57 posts
624 battles

Not sure about your criticisms. I just faced off against one with a Kongo. There was another T5 battleship and a destroyer with me. The only support the PEF had was a Myoko. We killed the Myoko but the PEF took all 3 of us out.

My Kongo basically could not hurt it. I can't shoot for crap in this game but I still put rounds into the PEF and it shrugged them off. I would say that it would kill any IJN battleship up to and including T7.

385 posts
5,271 battles
2 hours ago, Labeat said:

Theres no guarantee where the shell goes. but in exchange youre also never getting citadel blapped as well. It also has good AA. 

Perfect description of German BBs, esp. e.g. Bayern and I guess PEF too.

That said PEF seems to be more accurate/effective than Bayern, and can really clean out a cap/flank under the right circumstances. Bayern is wonky beyond belief. I can only imagine that the complaints for PEF are coming from people more used to Warspite/Fuso accuracy.

Edited by Rina_Pon

168 posts
1,879 battles
1 hour ago, Paladinum said:

Horrible accuracy and shell performance, that's the GERMAN BB thing.

And yeah it has some dangerous secondaries if modules and commander skills slotted properly. 

303 posts
24,707 battles
4 hours ago, Labeat said:

Why people keep forgetting? No matter how good the dispersion written, a german ship is a german ship. Theres no guarantee where the shell goes. but in exchange youre also never getting citadel blapped as well. It also has good AA. 

The PEF does get citadelled close range very easily by other bbs. 
It seems to be unique among german BBs in not having turtleback protection for the citadel.

Every ranked game I run into PEFs who expose broadside and with the expectation of not getting citadelled. Land cits with Fuso and Warspite both (the two ships I've played ranked this Sprint in). 

Hate to pile on the hate but the PEF is the on german BB that does get cit blapped.

[HMASW]
1,620 posts
3 hours ago, LawrenceXVIII said:

Meh Bote for Mackensen. Its Bayern but longer like GK or FDG.

Mackensen was a Battlecruiser, not a Battleship....

The first hint is there.....

476 posts
5,339 battles
6 hours ago, LawrenceXVIII said:

Meh Bote for Mackensen. Its Bayern but longer like GK or FDG.

Mackensen and Bayern are different ship classes. Different design concepts/ideologies, too.

Edited by Paladinum

[AMPOL]
150 posts
4,495 battles

PEF is one of those ships where you have one great game followed by a crap game.  Interesting alternating between PEF and Arizona  Ariz is more consistant. Like most ships, once you get used to its weaknesses, it's not too bad.

Edited by scottme
making sense

226 posts
3,146 battles

Well I admit guns are little underpowered, but if you use your speed and island cover to close in quickly, below 10 km your guns is quite okay. Play her like a battlecruiser she is, should be fine.

[PANTS]
2 posts
13,613 battles

Comparing the underpowered main batteries of PEF to Kongo, we can find that the guns are at a level of Tier V. 

-7Q5-kye5ZvT3cSvs-w2.png

Beta Tester
644 posts
7,174 battles

There are a number of things to like about PEF - the speed is pretty good, handling adequate, long range AA is excellent, it's quite tanky and HE resistant (although it can be citadeled if you get yourself in a poor position), and it is accurate for a KM BB.

The guns are the issue here.  The pen is bad, but apart from that they seem quite good on paper.  Bad pen isn't such a big deal, you just need to aim for the parts of the ship you can pen.  In practice however, eight guns on a 28s reload means not a lot of shells per minute, and although the accuracy is very good for KM BB guns with 2.0 sigma, the shells consistently deal poor damage in situations where you would expect them to deal reasonable damage.  They are very inconsistent.

What this means is it is quite hard to carry in this ship.  To be able to carry in a BB you need to be able to outmaneuvre the enemy to put them in a position where they are vulnerable to taking huge AP salvos.  PEF is good at outmaneuvering the enemy, but terrible at putting ships down once it does so.  This makes it frustrating to use.

At the tier I'd much rather take out Warspite, Fuso, Arizona, or Normandie.  These ships are much better at carrying games.  Better yet go T7 and take out the blatantly OP Lyon. 

Now I have finished all the PEF missions this ship will never be taken out again, which is a shame since it's a ship that showed promise.  Normally I hate KM BB's (giving up main battery power for secondary power is something I find pointless), but an accurate KM BB that requires skill not to get blapped sounds great, and it is great - except the inconsistent damage output ruins the ship.

Sign in to follow this