Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
BossCocky_1

Whats a Marakov?

8 comments in this topic

[AUCG]
15 posts
7,795 battles

I see WG wants the upcoming British DD line to be defensive.

What exactlly constitutes a defensive destroyer?

I thought their bread and butter was spotting, capping, dd hunting and denying areas to BB. None of which sounds defensive.

[AUCG]
15 posts
7,795 battles

Dont know how I did that.

Lasy night mid tier. Had a Russian cruiser show up, typical russian guns long range torps and extremely hard to kill. Omaha rammed him and he survived that and several torpedoes.

Does anybodt have ny information on the Marakov?

[SEARN]
[SEARN]
649 posts
10,256 battles
8 minutes ago, BossCocky_1 said:

Dont know how I did that.

Lasy night mid tier. Had a Russian cruiser show up, typical russian guns long range torps and extremely hard to kill. Omaha rammed him and he survived that and several torpedoes.

Does anybodt have ny information on the Marakov?

I Think you will find it is a Makarov. Named after Vice Admiral Stepan Makarov, who was killed at the Russian base at Port Arthur during the Russo-Japanese war in 1904.

It is actually the German T6 cruiser Nurnberg. It was given to the Russians as war reparations after the RN captured the ship at the end of WW2.

The Typical Russian main guns are actually German guns. Secondaries are German too. Torpedoes are German. Major differences are that some of the AA was changed by the Russians and if you equip hydro acoustic search you get standard hydro not the improved German version as it is no longer a German ship.

Do you want an answer to your first question about RN DD also?

1,517 posts
5,920 battles
23 minutes ago, BossCocky_1 said:

What exactlly constitutes a defensive destroyer?

Good question because even apparently WG don't know what that means.

RN DDs have very good damage-dealing weapons, and nothing seems to show that they are "defensive". I play Lightning so it's hand-on experience. 

Short duration smoke that can't cover anyone properly. You have to go to a full stop to get it.
No DAAF so they can't provide AA support either.
The long-lasting Hydro may be the "defensive" thing? But it doesn't have the range to "defend" very well. I'd take German DD Hydro over that any day of the week.

The word "defensive" here is really confusing, because, in this game, anything that can be used defensively can be used offensively. Except DAAF I guess.

Edited by Paladinum

[BLESS]
539 posts
6,345 battles

A defensive DD is what you think it is ... a ship with tools geared to prevent an enemy ship from taking or re-taking an occupied position.

In simple terms, RN DDs work best when the enemy ship is moving to attack you, rather than the other way around.

By the same logic, an effective strategy against an RN DD is to retreat and bait it into shooting you. Once detected and outrunning it's own smoke, it becomes an easy target.

Edited by Rina_Pon

Sign in to follow this