Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Max_Battle

Monaghan Coop

7 comments in this topic

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
2,702 posts
13,904 battles

@Grumps_1963

Hi mate. 

I'm no expert but I just quickly did these up for you. There's probably a million better vids out there to learn from but I just happened to have scored Monaghan recently and as you had mentioned her in coop... well have a look if you like, maybe this will help?

At least you can see the ship has potential for earning/learning in Coop.

Few notes:

First battle not as good an example as I forgot to put my torp reload booster on!

Though I miss with some torp salvos, notice when I use them - in an attempt to defend my smoke. And notice in the second battle, I try to torp a DD and then use booster, so I can shoot torps at the 2 cruisers that are behind the DD.

This is coop only! Do not park in your smoke in front of human player! They will send torps into your smoke where a bot won't!

Also, beware of bots or human players who try to move into your smoke behind you - some people don't know their smoke fire concealment value and will go into your smoke, be spotted when they shoot and if they are behind you, you might eat the shells intended for them...

I usually don't use flags or premium consumables in Coop - except for Repair Party. It saves you some coin per battle and Coop usually doesn't last long enough to use a second charge of anything. Feel free to spend or use as you see fit.

Sometimes it looks like I am not reacting to enemies or am deliberately placed in danger - but I am watching my Priority Target indicator. I am often detected but not targeted which lets me know I have at least a few moments when I can be offensive, rather than defensive.

On at least one occasion I take hits that disable bits of me or set me on fire. Note I do not always use repair party instantly. Also, this captain has Last Stand, so I know that even if "disabled" I can still move and manoeuvre. Others have told you how valuable this skill is.

In these vids I am almost exclusively using HE. Not a terrible choice but you will notice that just as my torps kill a cruiser in the second vid, I have switched to AP and was going to seek some citadel hits under the funnels at the waterline.

If I can get side on shots at cruisers, I will switch to AP.

Note that killing blows are not as important as actual damage. Don't worry if you don't secure the kill number. Do damage.

Oh and note that when I fire first in both battles, I am not spotted - but my fire is intentional. It makes the bots fire at me and reveal themselves. I wait for them to fire, then hit the skids and turn hard while activating smoke. When I come to a halt, I am hidden in smoke and they are revealed and eating my HE and fire from the rest of my team.

Anyway, enjoy, or not, your call 😛

Edited by Max_Battle

[JACK]
75 posts
664 battles

Thanks Mate.

Interesting to watch. I noted that you also used AP against the destroyer in Coop 1. Finger fumble or do you find this effective against DDs?

I know the red force is all bots but you still went very close into that BB in the first vid. The only time I am that close to a BB is when they steam past my wreckage. 😀

I will try these tactics out on Friday night to see how I go.

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
2,702 posts
13,904 battles
2 minutes ago, Grumps_1963 said:

Thanks Mate.

Interesting to watch. I noted that you also used AP against the destroyer in Coop 1. Finger fumble or do you find this effective against DDs?

In the opening salvo? Still had AP loaded up from last battle. Didn't mean too. You will notice that after my first rounds, I see that my shells are white and not red and I press "1" once. This means that next time I pull the trigger, all guns that are aimed will fire and empty their existing ammo and then reload with the newly selected ammo. It's not as important on a fast loading destroyer and double pressing "1" might have been better/ok in that circumstance. On guns that take longer to reload, it can save you a lot of time. Expert Loader the captain skill comes into play in changing ammo and the "Doe Brothers" (special captains on the US line) have an extra bonus for this skill. But Expert Loader is kind of wasted on fast loading DD guns.

If I am beside a destroyer and I am in a destroyer, if I can switch to AP efficiently I often will. An AP hit through the engine space will disable its engines. But staying with HE is not a bad idea in DD vs DD combat.

12 minutes ago, Grumps_1963 said:

I know the red force is all bots but you still went very close into that BB in the first vid. The only time I am that close to a BB is when they steam past my wreckage. 😀

I got very lucky there and almost didn't link you the video because I got lucky and it might not be the best thing to recommend for someone learning the game!

Couple of things.

When that close to BBs, watch your priority target indicator and the direction the BB guns are facing. If you aren't targeted, then you only have the BB secondaries to worry about. Depending on what BB you are facing determines how dangerous/foolhardy this is.

When close to BBs, you can often turn around them faster than their guns will traverse. This is something you can really experience if you are IN a BB yourself and someone in a DD sails really close to you.

BB secondaries are limited and can only fire in certain arcs. Different BBs have different arcs. But if you can watch the map as I sail close to that enemy BB, I have a friendly BB on the same side - which means some of the enemy BBs secondaries are firing at him and not me.

WARNING WILL ROBINSON - COOP ADVICE ONLY If a player has manual secondaries and you are that close to them as a DD they would be crazy not to target you - that means all their secondaries in a given fire arc will target you and be more accurate.

Many people in DDs in coop (including myself) will Yolo a bot BB as a matter of course. Its a valid tactic in coop where it's just a race for personal kills and glory.

29 minutes ago, Grumps_1963 said:

I will try these tactics out on Friday night to see how I go.

Good luck!

I have been reflecting upon something @icy_phoenix said about using coop and Ops to learn the game and I think he is right.

I hope you find something useful in these vids I posted for you but like they say, "If you want to get good at pushups, do pushups".

The frustration and despair I often felt in my early games of PvP led me to learn better tactics and staying in PvP might yield better learning.

Almost all my first couple of K battles were in PvP and I remember the frustration.

I think sometimes when a new player comes along I want to spare them that anguish but in a way, that's like saying, "oh you aren't very good, well, there-there, just toddle about in the shallow end".

Maybe just dive in.

Maybe if you throw someone to the wolves they will come back at you leading the pack...

😄

[SGC]
Super Tester
7,897 posts
8,504 battles
3 hours ago, Max_Battle said:

I have been reflecting upon something @icy_phoenix said about using coop and Ops to learn the game and I think he is right.

Well, it's not like you learn nothing. You do learn something, for example aiming and armor weakness, dodging, etc. But you don't learn how not to get outplayed and adapt to changing situations. 

Edited by icy_phoenix
  • Cool 2

[JACK]
75 posts
664 battles

I do have to confess to getting target fixation sometimes that result in me losing situational awareness. Which is generally costly.

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
2,702 posts
13,904 battles
43 minutes ago, Grumps_1963 said:

I do have to confess to getting target fixation sometimes that result in me losing situational awareness. Which is generally costly.

Are you aware what the right mouse button does when you are zoomed in on a target?

My advice? Get used to doing it between salvos.

Sign in to follow this