Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Max_Battle

Last two points on a German Secondary Captain

9 comments in this topic

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
2,520 posts
13,252 battles

So, mein gut freund Karl just got all Gross and Admirally.

Prost! Karl!

He is my third Captain to make it to 19 points and my first German to do so.

That's a US, an IJN and now a German getting me sweet, sweet elite commander XP.

He is a secondary spec Captain trained to FdG at the moment but sees just as much (if not more) action on Scharnhorst, Tirpitz and Graf Spee (though not ideal for a T6 cruiser, even if it does have good secondaries).

And of course he will helm my Prinz BB when I get it (though her secondaries are no good I am told?).

His existing skills are as below.

Adrenaline Rush is a no brainer for his last two yes?

World of Warships Screenshot 2018.12.29 - 17.30.48.25.png

2,446 posts
6,291 battles

HA >>> JoaT. LS is largely useless on a BB.

Also, on German BBs, AR >>>>>>> EM.

PS. On a Scharn/Gnei or Tirp, take Torp Accel.

Edited by Paladinum

[SH0T]
1,411 posts
8,674 battles

I personaly pick AR instead of EM, German BB have decent enough turret rotation

and Ill dump BFT for CE, it gives more flexibility and  mask brawling approach better or pick FP so it become more tanky

[SEARN]
703 posts
11,396 battles
45 minutes ago, Max_Battle said:

Adrenaline Rush is a no brainer for his last two yes?

Yes I would go with AR. That build is exactly the same as my first ever 19 point captain. Was trained up on my Tirpitz, which was one of my first ships I bought in the game. This build I had on FDG and now is trained on my GKF. Works really well with the secondary reload mod on these ships.

I was typing when that game finished where you were asking about PEF. I was trying to say that the manual secondary skill at T6 only gives you a 15% dispersion buff to secondary guns. At T7 and up it is 60%. PEF does have good secondaries but they just are not worth heavily investing into due to the fact it is a T6 ship. I have other 19 point German captains but they are DD or cruiser specific so I can only use what I have. I would prefer fire prevention and basic of survivability on the PEF, instead of secondary specific skills. However the AA is ok so having BFT and AFT is good for AA and secondaries. 

Regarding Paladinum's comment, not sure if he is joking but, I would never spend any points into TA for a German BB. For starters you are limited to using them on a torp equipped BB, anything without torps it is a wasted skill. Also 6 km and 64 knots is fine as is. No need to spend points on very situational torps, when other essential BB skills are left on the sideline. I know I will be getting benefits from AR or EM every single game. Yes the torps are absolutely a nice ace up the sleeve when in close, but you will not be getting a lot of value from TA on a German BB unless your middle name is YOLO. You will feel pretty silly using TA to then get HE spammed and get your torp tubes destroyed well before anything was in range to use them on. Has happened to me countless times. You are a BB with torps, not a torp boat with some guns.

• Cool 1

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
2,520 posts
13,252 battles
5 minutes ago, HobartAWD said:

Yes I would go with AR. That build is exactly the same as my first ever 19 point captain. Was trained up on my Tirpitz, which was one of my first ships I bought in the game. This build I had on FDG and now is trained on my GKF. Works really well with the secondary reload mod on these ships.

Cool. I think that's my plan as well. Did you keep FDG after you got to GKF?

7 minutes ago, HobartAWD said:

I was typing when that game finished where you were asking about PEF. I was trying to say that the manual secondary skill at T6 only gives you a 15% dispersion buff to secondary guns. At T7 and up it is 60%. PEF does have good secondaries but they just are not worth heavily investing into due to the fact it is a T6 ship. I have other 19 point German captains but they are DD or cruiser specific so I can only use what I have. I would prefer fire prevention and basic of survivability on the PEF, instead of secondary specific skills. However the AA is ok so having BFT and AFT is good for AA and secondaries. 

Yeah I totally get that - the T6/T7 break point for manual secondaries. I asked the forum about manual sec. for Bayern a little while back but it's not worth it.

How DO PEF secondaries compare to Bayern's? It seems to me that PEF is similar to Bayern in that BFT and AFT "passively" help both AA and secondary fire but going hard in either direction is not a good investment - I guess you said that above.

I am only up to Yorck on German cruiser line and only T-22 on KM DDs which is the reason why my German Captain questions are mostly BB based.

When the time comes I guess I will look at a better captain for Graf Spee (including German cruisers in general + Prinz Eugen if I ever get her) and also a DD captain for 150mm gunbotes…? I really want an excuse to buy Z-39...

16 minutes ago, HobartAWD said:

Regarding Paladinum's comment, not sure if he is joking but, I would never spend any points into TA for a German BB. For starters you are limited to using them on a torp equipped BB, anything without torps it is a wasted skill. Also 6 km and 64 knots is fine as is. No need to spend points on very situational torps, when other essential BB skills are left on the sideline. I know I will be getting benefits from AR or EM every single game. Yes the torps are absolutely a nice ace up the sleeve when in close, but you will not be getting a lot of value from TA on a German BB unless your middle name is YOLO. You will feel pretty silly using TA to then get HE spammed and get your torp tubes destroyed well before anything was in range to use them on. Has happened to me countless times. You are a BB with torps, not a torp boat with some guns.

Max "Yolo" Battle.

Nope.

I will one day ask The Forum about Asashio and other IJN torp botes that can use TA, but until then... nope!

2,446 posts
6,291 battles
23 minutes ago, HobartAWD said:

not sure if he is joking

Of course it is a joke. 

6 minutes ago, Max_Battle said:

I will one day ask The Forum about Asashio and other IJN torp botes that can use TA, but until then... nope!

I do recommend TA for the following ships and torp modules:

Gearing - 16,5 km, 66 knots torps (hard recommendation)
Shimakaze - 20 km, 62 knots torps (hard recommendation)
Yueyang - 13,5 km torps (soft recommendation, only do it if the player is highly skilled)

If the torps have 13km range and more, I recommend TA. i do not use TA on any cruiser, even Zao.

• Cool 1

[SEARN]
703 posts
11,396 battles
7 minutes ago, Max_Battle said:

Cool. I think that's my plan as well. Did you keep FDG after you got to GKF?

Yes I did. I'm a pixel bote collector and rarely sell anything, no matter how turd like it may be. 

9 minutes ago, Max_Battle said:

How DO PEF secondaries compare to Bayern's? It seems to me that PEF is similar to Bayern in that BFT and AFT "passively" help both AA and secondary fire but going hard in either direction is not a good investment - I guess you said that above.

I grinded Bayern a long long time ago so I cannot remember how her sec guns compare to PEF in game. Many games today I watched as a sub 2k health DD had all my sec gun shells land everywhere but on target at 4-5 km range. On paper they are very similar, but PEF gets 1 extra dual 105mm turret and 4 more 150mm casement guns. To make use of them all though you need to be almost completely broadside, and you are a Battle cruiser, with Battle cruiser armour and no turtle back that Bayern has. In PEF I am way more worried about maintaining a correct angle due to sketchy armour, than getting my secondaries off. Like I said I am using this 19 point captain because I have him. His skill set is not ideal for PEF.

24 minutes ago, Max_Battle said:

I really want an excuse to buy Z-39...

I give you an excuse...….. it is for sale. Usually the only reason I need to buy anything.

[CLAY]
Beta Tester
2,520 posts
13,252 battles
34 minutes ago, HobartAWD said:

I give you an excuse...….. it is for sale. Usually the only reason I need to buy anything.

I was going to buy a pizza bote.

It had been decided.

I WAS GOING TO BUY A PIZZA BOTE!

Damn you, DAMN YOU TO HEEEEEELLLLLLL!!!!!

(Stay tuned for Max's next post - "What the hell do I do with 150mm German DDs!?")

• Funny 1

Sign in to follow this