You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
scottme

Once you go Black......

19 comments in this topic

[TF44]
193 posts
7,590 battles

Anyone else had experience with one of these? Should be interesting: :Smile_veryhappy:

I had to grind through 12 randoms of salty horrror in the PEF to get me over the line with steel where nothing went my way - stupid bot teammates, getting caught on the overmatch side of Brothers against T7 & 8 BBs several times, continually focused by CVs, stolen kills, ships unspotted / concealed just when I'm about to fire, nearly always on teams that lose caps straight away or 4-5 dead in 5 minutes, continually scoring 1 hit per salvo with the rest going long / short, HE rounds shattering on another simiarly angled PEF only to get full damage salvo in return etc. 

I know my gunnery skillz in BBs are below par, but with all the shenanigans, I almost had a conference call with the Demons of Rage Quit :etc_swear:. Well, I should have gone outside and opened a can of Calm the F**k Down. It was one of those runs where you know it's not goingto get any better.

I also think my excessive "snowflake" grind on 100 ships has noticeably degraded my (some-would-say limited) ability.

Anyhow, on with the show. Oh yeh, and merry xmas etc. to the regular contributors, trolls, testers, lurkers and WG staff:cat_cool:

black.jpg

• Cool 1

2,884 posts
6,691 battles

Hey you have the Devil in your port now.

How many firstborns and virgins did you offer him?

• Funny 2

[-FUN-]
304 posts
4,495 battles

Black is not as fearsome as it was. Went into a knife fight with one in my stock Fletcher yesterday, he had a big HP advantage yet I'm the one is still above the water afterwards

Edited by zergling_
  • Boring 1

[SEARN]
724 posts
11,942 battles

I picked me up a USS Black as well. Was tossing up between the Flint and the Black for a while but the DD won out in the end. Ended up buying Jean Bart the day before as I was getting a new ship discount voucher on xmas day anyway. This way I got to use both vouchers and pick up two nice new ships.

The Black's radar is very OP (even after the Black's radar nerf) in the right situation against other DD, but when all said and done it all comes down to either who fires first and gets the jump on the other OR who is the better shot. Simply having a Black is not a "instant win ticket" when fighting other DD. If you don't smoke or the Black can't/doesn't smoke and radar, it is a much more fair fight. It is just a Fletcher with some gimmicks applied after all

[-FUN-]
304 posts
4,495 battles
3 hours ago, HobartAWD said:

I picked me up a USS Black as well. Was tossing up between the Flint and the Black for a while but the DD won out in the end. Ended up buying Jean Bart the day before as I was getting a new ship discount voucher on xmas day anyway. This way I got to use both vouchers and pick up two nice new ships.

The Black's radar is very OP (even after the Black's radar nerf) in the right situation against other DD, but when all said and done it all comes down to either who fires first and gets the jump on the other OR who is the better shot. Simply having a Black is not a "instant win ticket" when fighting other DD. If you don't smoke or the Black can't/doesn't smoke and radar, it is a much more fair fight. It is just a Fletcher with some gimmicks applied after all

And as it becomes more common, her winrate statistics will soon drop. Gonna get me one myself pretty soon -not WG soon(tm).

[BZ]
660 posts
19,372 battles

I got to use it in my brief tenure as an ST and can confirm it's a stupid gud bote. I chose to get the Flint and I don't regret it.

Edited by Bex_o7

[-FUN-]
304 posts
4,495 battles
19 minutes ago, Bex_o7 said:

I got to use it in my brief tenure as an ST and can confirm it's a stupid gud bote. I chose to get the Flint and I don't regret it.

Didnt know one can stop being ST. Did you quit? Why?

[BZ]
660 posts
19,372 battles
2 hours ago, zergling_ said:

Didnt know one can stop being ST. Did you quit? Why?

I stopped contributing due to professional commitments and was removed.

[TF44]
193 posts
7,590 battles
19 hours ago, Bex_o7 said:

Interesting. Better for team wins as opposed to individual stats? Like LWM says, seems a killer in the right hands though.

Edited by scottme
spelling

[SGC]
Super Tester
7,897 posts
8,504 battles
6 minutes ago, scottme said:

Interesting. Better for team wins as opposed to individual stats? Like LWM says, seems a killer in the right hands though.

Which ship isn't a killer in the right hands?

[SEARN]
724 posts
11,942 battles
24 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

Which ship isn't a killer in the right hands?

This one? 

greenpeace.png.fd5f8f6254a0f44fa887d93dcab4f7d4.png

• Funny 1

[TF44]
193 posts
7,590 battles

It was a close toss up between Flint and Black, and tbh, I'd do much better out straight up in the Flint. I already have all the US Cruiser variations - but an Atlanta with better torps and smoke could be pretty nasty with the right friends.

When I really start playing Black, I'm sure I'll have regrets. But I also think Black is a somewhat more nique ship compared to Flint. It may be very interesting in the upcoming IX Ranked arms race if I can do well in it, which means I will probably be rubbish. :Smile_playing:

[AUSNZ]
Beta Tester
923 posts
8,815 battles
On 12/26/2018 at 7:46 PM, dieselhead said:

Its a Nerfed fletcher imo. Ill take the better torps over having radar any day of the week!

I much prefer Black torps over Fletcher torps. 73s vs 81s c/d. 13.7 vs 10.5km range. 21.6k vs 19.0k damage. 0.9 vs 1.4km concealment. The only thing on Fletcher's side is the speed, 43 vs 66kts. 

Where you go wrong with Black torps is by launching them at specific ships. This is a recipe for disappointment - do not do this. You launch them on cool down through common torp lanes, then you enjoy the hilarity of seeing torp hits come up minutes later, and having no idea which of your multiple salvoes in the water hit which enemy ship. 

Black is as much about its superb torps as it is about its radar. 

• Cool 2

[S_X_S]
94 posts
10,272 battles
1 hour ago, Moggytwo said:

I much prefer Black torps over Fletcher torps. 73s vs 81s c/d. 13.7 vs 10.5km range. 21.6k vs 19.0k damage. 0.9 vs 1.4km concealment. The only thing on Fletcher's side is the speed, 43 vs 66kts. 

Where you go wrong with Black torps is by launching them at specific ships. This is a recipe for disappointment - do not do this. You launch them on cool down through common torp lanes, then you enjoy the hilarity of seeing torp hits come up minutes later, and having no idea which of your multiple salvoes in the water hit which enemy ship. 

Agree torping the lanes and waiting is a great strat Moggy

11klm 48 knots do great damage , almost a deep water torp 800m detection , in a DD with radar and smoke built to be a gun ship

[SGC]
Super Tester
7,897 posts
8,504 battles
2 hours ago, Moggytwo said:

Technically you don't hit ships with torps, ships need to voluntarily step on your torps. 

• Boring 1