Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Rina_Pon

T7 heavy cruisers : how to differentiate?

11 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Member
436 posts
5,486 battles

I've just recently added Yorck and New Orleans to my collection, in addition to having Algerie and of course Myoko.

They are all good ships, I'm just wondering how they differ in playstyle.

I've only played the new ships in coop a couple of times, here's my overview. Please feel free to correct / annotate.

Myoko: good general purpose heavy cruiser, excels at hunting down DDs and providing fire support to friendly BBs. Very strong torps, can defend well against an enemy push. Does not brawl. Medium range most effective.

Algerie: I'd have said better guns than Myoko, post 7.11 buff I'm not sure, but anyway: I have not enjoyed Algerie as much as I thought I would. It tends to fall too much into a long range HE spamming role.

Yorck: Hits hard with lots of penetrations, can really do damage to a broadside BB. I find the gun count / DPM a bit limiting, AA is good but not USN CA great. Torps are short range, but with wicked arcs, so more or less committed to brawling other cruisers. Low stealth and slow. Not really feeling this one, but not hating it either.

New Orleans: this is a beast in Coop, I've enjoyed this ship a ton so far. Against T5 CVs it just shreds aircraft, and given bot behavior of charging straight in, you can farm citadels off enemy cruisers like nobody's business. In PvP, when enemy ships are going to play far more defensively and CV are rarer and smarter, I suspect a lot fewer opportunities to wreck the enemy.

 

Edited by Rina_Pon

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[SEARN]
Member
626 posts
9,017 battles
5 hours ago, Rina_Pon said:

Yorck: Hits hard with lots of penetrations, can really do damage to a broadside BB. I find the gun count / DPM a bit limiting, AA is good but not USN CA great. Torps are short range, but with wicked arcs, so more or less committed to brawling other cruisers. Low stealth and slow. Not really feeling this one, but not hating it either.

I grinded Yorck back in it's original form before the buffs. AP was lacklustre as it lacked pen at range. Shell velocity was crappy and air drag meant your shells hung in the air at long range. 

I'm a collector and normally never sell ships but Yorck was an exception. Sold it and never bought it back. Maybe I should buy it back now that it has been buffed and give it another chance ?

 

Edited by HobartAWD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LBAS]
Member
475 posts
1,522 battles

I only have Algerie, the fire chance is great with 18%, but the reload is sluggish. Anyway, Algerie has bad steering gear, can be knock out easily (Need last stand to compensate it) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,035 posts
12,941 battles
23 minutes ago, waichung1823 said:

I only have Algerie, the fire chance is great with 18%, but the reload is sluggish. Anyway, Algerie has bad steering gear, can be knock out easily (Need last stand to compensate it) 

take rudder mod, T8 and T9 also same rudder get knocked out so much its really annoying

take rudder mod instead of concealment go out there keep shooting and dodging, its very fun and effective

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Tester
7,897 posts
8,143 battles
6 hours ago, Rina_Pon said:

I've just recently added Yorck and New Orleans to my collection, in addition to having Algerie and of course Myoko.

They are all good ships, I'm just wondering how they differ in playstyle.

I've only played the new ships in coop a couple of times, here's my overview. Please feel free to correct / annotate.

Myoko: good general purpose heavy cruiser, excels at hunting down DDs and providing fire support to friendly BBs. Very strong torps, can defend well against an enemy push. Does not brawl. Medium range most effective.

Algerie: I'd have said better guns than Myoko, post 7.11 buff I'm not sure, but anyway: I have not enjoyed Algerie as much as I thought I would. It tends to fall too much into a long range HE spamming role.

Yorck: Hits hard with lots of penetrations, can really do damage to a broadside BB. I find the gun count / DPM a bit limiting, AA is good but not USN CA great. Torps are short range, but with wicked arcs, so more or less committed to brawling other cruisers. Low stealth and slow. Not really feeling this one, but not hating it either.

New Orleans: this is a beast in Coop, I've enjoyed this ship a ton so far. Against T5 CVs it just shreds aircraft, and given bot behavior of charging straight in, you can farm citadels off enemy cruisers like nobody's business. In PvP, when enemy ships are going to play far more defensively and CV are rarer and smarter, I suspect a lot fewer opportunities to wreck the enemy.

 

Apart from Algerie (which I only played 1/2 battles after release, grinded past all others and here's what I thought

Myoko: Quite boring ship, very fragile rudder. probably a bit better after buff, however, has the classic japanese HE goodness. AP is also pretty good, although they tend to overpen a lot against CLs and DDs. Torps are often very useful when kiting away, uncommon for other heavies at tier 7. What is AA?

Algerie: The reload booster makes a little difference. A lot more versatile than Myoko in terms of positioning. Myoko still probably beats her in terms of alpha output. However, the spaced armor on Algerie does a much better job at tanking than Myoko. Pop the reload booster and kill the DD. Easy. Can't tell if AA is good or not, haven't met CVs yet. Probably crap.

Yorck: She is just Awesome. My most favorite heavy cruiser at T7. However, Yorck's quirk is that you cannot use AP at long range as the speed of AP is so slow. But if you can get someone's braodside at close range, those 210mm will blast them out of water. Besides, 210mm can overmatch many CL bow at that tier, for example you can literally one shot atlanta's through the bow. While you have high AP output, the velocity makes it impractical to make it primary choice, She is, IMO, best fire starter at T7 (among heavies). Pretty good AA.

New Orleans: Oooo boi, gotta love US AP. Both of her AP and HE are really good. While the AP doesn't beat York's alpha or HE doesn't beat Myoko's alpha, she is indeed the jack of all trades. You can camp when needed, or even brawl with other cruisers when no BB is looking your way. The AA is not good though. Won't work much against PvP CVs. You lack AA range IIRC. Back in T8, she had one of the worst AA among all T8s.

If I were to order in terms of fun factor, I would go Yorck > New Orleans > Algerie > Myoko.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Tester
7,897 posts
8,143 battles
1 hour ago, waichung1823 said:

I only have Algerie, the fire chance is great with 18%, but the reload is sluggish. Anyway, Algerie has bad steering gear, can be knock out easily (Need last stand to compensate it) 

Oh man, you haven't played Myoko. Any shell touching your tail will break the rudder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LBAS]
Member
475 posts
1,522 battles
28 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

Oh man, you haven't played Myoko. Any shell touching your tail will break the rudder.

Myoko lul, i damage quite a lot of rudder/engine in memeland when playing Cherry ops. 

 

BTW, AA in Algerie is average tho, can shoot some plane, but you need AADF, Helena does it better in shooting plane without AADF. There's a Ops Hermes last month, i guess you may see Algerie perform in shooting GZ plane. 

Edited by waichung1823

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
1,142 posts
7,865 battles
22 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

Oh man, you haven't played Myoko. Any shell touching your tail will break the rudder.

Martel and Saint louis is more horid imo lol

at least with myoko, I dont need to take preventive maintance Hahaha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Member
259 posts
8,655 battles
1 hour ago, icy_phoenix said:

Apart from Algerie (which I only played 1/2 battles after release, grinded past all others and here's what I thought

Myoko: Quite boring ship, very fragile rudder. probably a bit better after buff, however, has the classic japanese HE goodness. AP is also pretty good, although they tend to overpen a lot against CLs and DDs. Torps are often very useful when kiting away, uncommon for other heavies at tier 7. What is AA?

Algerie: The reload booster makes a little difference. A lot more versatile than Myoko in terms of positioning. Myoko still probably beats her in terms of alpha output. However, the spaced armor on Algerie does a much better job at tanking than Myoko. Pop the reload booster and kill the DD. Easy. Can't tell if AA is good or not, haven't met CVs yet. Probably crap.

Yorck: She is just Awesome. My most favorite heavy cruiser at T7. However, Yorck's quirk is that you cannot use AP at long range as the speed of AP is so slow. But if you can get someone's braodside at close range, those 210mm will blast them out of water. Besides, 210mm can overmatch many CL bow at that tier, for example you can literally one shot atlanta's through the bow. While you have high AP output, the velocity makes it impractical to make it primary choice, She is, IMO, best fire starter at T7 (among heavies). Pretty good AA.

New Orleans: Oooo boi, gotta love US AP. Both of her AP and HE are really good. While the AP doesn't beat York's alpha or HE doesn't beat Myoko's alpha, she is indeed the jack of all trades. You can camp when needed, or even brawl with other cruisers when no BB is looking your way. The AA is not good though. Won't work much against PvP CVs. You lack AA range IIRC. Back in T8, she had one of the worst AA among all T8s.

If I were to order in terms of fun factor, I would go Yorck > New Orleans > Algerie > Myoko.

eeeh but myoko AA is still good for herself icy, i shoot down  hiryuu  TB without problem.... not as good as USN Helena or NoLa tho but at least still viable..... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Super Tester
7,897 posts
8,143 battles
1 hour ago, Gesterbein said:

eeeh but myoko AA is still good for herself icy, i shoot down  hiryuu  TB without problem.... not as good as USN Helena or NoLa tho but at least still viable..... 

Yeah you may get away sometimes with DFAA, and IJN TBs are pretty weak. Still Myoko AA is, pretty bad at that tier compared to her counterparts.

Edited by icy_phoenix

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×