Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Rina_Pon

Best Strats: for when you have the wrong tools?

5 comments in this topic

[BLESS]
583 posts
6,549 battles

Estuary.thumb.jpg.0a6830baea0b308dbbcfc542ac6bbbef.jpg.6c28713a7ecf9742ce28bccfb4fa2de7.jpg

Played this map, Estuary, yesterday, T6-8, me in Atago, our group contesting A. Our side had a Kiev, they had a Lightning.

Both sides were competent, we all moved up in an orderly fashion, and our Kiev did his best to wrest control of the cap from the RN DD by skirmishing in and out of it. 

As you know,  that DD matching hands us a big spotting disadvantage. The Lightning was solidly backed up by his team, pushing into the cap against it would be suicidal and pointless. As the top tier CA I guess it was my job to deal with it, but I can't for the life of me think of what I could have done. We had a Helena, too, which seemed equally ineffective.

After a bit one of our BBs got impatient and unwisely decided to push though down the 1 line. He got focused and died, then the enemy just rolled us.

D cap by this point had been completely overrun. The other half of our team being far less competent than our side.

The only strategy I could think of was holding a defensive position at the G line, hoping some of the enemy ships eventually over-reach.

In my view though, unless or until the enemy Lightning makes a mistake, there's not much that can be done.

Edited by Rina_Pon

[POI]
859 posts
8,708 battles

Maybe, but this sometimes just coincidence, BB spearhead a push into cap, followed by (2km behind) CA, with DD sailing beside BB at the side with possible enemy DD. 

Managed to pull off that tactic in Two Brothers with Scharnhorst, but I was sunk, and was actually backed up by a Nelson, one or two cruisers, and one DD (a Mahan I think). Another friendly DD was just outside the cap keeping one enemy DD occupied (if not mistaken) Was against enemy BB x 2, one or two CA/CL, two enemy DD (including one occupied) 

I don't know if it's repeatable though.

[BLESS]
583 posts
6,549 battles
28 minutes ago, Darkworld_2015 said:

Maybe, but this sometimes just coincidence, BB spearhead a push into cap, followed by (2km behind) CA, with DD sailing beside BB at the side with possible enemy DD. 

Managed to pull off that tactic in Two Brothers with Scharnhorst..

An organized push might work on a map like Two Brothers, as most boats are working in open water. That's if the enemy hasn't taken up defensive positions behind the islands on the edge of the map.

On Estuary it's harder I think, since there is that line of islands right above the cap edge. A good number of the enemy ships could fire from stealth, I think you'd get cut down before getting into a flanking position.

Thinking about it, the problem we got into was due not just to the fact that we had a Kiev, but rather that we had a Kiev in addition to the fact that we had no radar and no CV, so vision was entirely controlled by the DDs.

[POI]
859 posts
8,708 battles

Yeah I agree with you Estuary harder due to island near the cap, making a hard push in disadvantage, as the defending team is more protected.

The problem might be narrowed down to inequality of tactical information as your Kiev cannot outspot the Lightning, thus been denied of a lot of vision about the opposing team (like what you said in the last paragraph) 

[SGC]
Super Tester
7,897 posts
8,180 battles

This is the map where I take the sideways, especially when playing a DD. That gives two advantage. (1) Radar cannot reach me since radar ships tend to stay near the inner side of A/D. Also, most times enemy DD will enter the cap and move towards the sides, and then they face you while looking other way. Allows you to do massive damage in a burst. As for supports, they are in a position usually where they can shoot across A/D with all guns bearing, but not towards the sides, gives you a pretty safe place to be. The caps aren't large enough to make early game cap attempts unless select circumstances happen.

With BB I usually want to stay between Center and the side caps, near to the rocks around A/D. You head towards the north or south (kiting position but not really moving). You get braodside to enemies going sideways.

With cruisers, if campy cruiser, I use the rocks right next to caps, otherwise I go sideways. So far this proves to have very low failure rate.

This all depends on enemy movements though. You need to count enemy ships as soon as they are spotted and sometimes attacking the central cap is a good strategy when enemy spread out too thinly and far away.

Sign in to follow this