You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
BIGCOREMKP0I

What If South Dakota was a Pre-Dreadnought than a Fast Battleship?

35 comments in this topic

2,101 posts
9,714 battles

I can imagine but we all know we want South Dakota as a premium, but i think there are chances we might get the Cancelled Battleship (BB-49) Of the namesake.

History:

The first South Dakota class was a class of six American battleships that were laid down in 1920 but never completed. They would have been the last dreadnoughts in the Naval Act of 1916 to be commissioned had the Washington Naval Treaty not caused their cancellation one-third of the way through their construction. They would have been the largest, most heavily armed and armored battleships in the U.S. Navy and, designed to achieve 23 knots (43 km/h), represented an attempt to abandon its 21-knot (39 km/h) standardized fleet speed and catch up with the increasing fleet speeds of its main rivals, the British Royal Navy and Imperial Japanese Navy. In this, size and secondary armament, they represented a break from the Standard-type battleship that had dominated American capital ship design for the prior five ship classes, while their use of standardized bridges, lattice masts and other features was a continuation of this practice and the increase in the number of main guns from the preceding Colorado class had long been standard U.S. naval policy. The main restriction to which they had to adhere was the ability to pass through the Panama Canal.

The South Dakotas were authorized 4 March 1917, but work was postponed so that the U.S. Navy could incorporate information gained from the Battle of Jutland, fought in 1916, in this class's final design. Construction started only in 1920. As the Washington Naval Treaty both restricted the total allowable battleship tonnage allowed the U.S. Navy, and limited individual ship size to 35,000 tons, construction was halted 8 February 1922. While the unfinished hulls (most over 30% completed) were scrapped in 1923.

The design characteristics of the South Dakotas closely followed those of the Tennessee and Colorado classes. The increase in the number of main guns was a continuation of U.S. Navy practice from the beginning of the dreadnought era. Like the Tennessees and Colorados, they would have been fitted with standard bridges and lattice masts. Although Norman Friedman describes the South Dakotas as the ultimate development of the series of U.S. battleships that began with the Nevada class, they were also a departure in size, speed and intermediate armament from the "Standard Type" that characterized the Nevada through Colorado classes. The main restriction imposed on them by the Navy was the ability to pass through the Panama Canal. This was a policy to which capital ship designs were to strictly adhere due to the savings in time when ships needed to travel from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic or vice versa.

USS South Dakota (BB-49)

Displacement:
Standard: 41,400 long tons (42,100 t)
Design: 43,200 long tons (43,900 t)
Full: 47,000 long tons (47,800 t)

Length:
684 ft (208 m) overall
660 ft (200 m) waterline

Beam:106 ft (32 m)

Draft:33 ft (10 m) (design)

Installed power:
12 × boilers, 60,000 hp (45,000 kW)

Propulsion:
4 × Westinghouse steam turbine electric drives (BB−49–BB−52)
4 × propeller shafts

Speed: 23 knots (43 km/h)

Range: 8,000 nautical miles (15,000 km; 9,200 mi) at 10 knots (19 km/h; 12 mph)

Complement:137 officers, 1404 enlisted, 75 marines

Armament:
12 × 16"/50 caliber Mark 2 guns (4×3)
16 × 6"/53 caliber Mark 13 guns
4 × 3"/50 caliber guns (dual purpose)
2 × 21 inch (533 mm) submerged torpedo tubes

Armor:
Belt: 8–13.5 in (203–343 mm)
Barbettes: 4.5–13.5 in (114–343 mm)
Turret face: 18 in (457 mm)
Turret sides: 9–10 in (229–254 mm)
Turret top: 5 in (127 mm)
Turret rear 9 in (229 mm)
Conning tower: 8–16 in (203–406 mm)
Decks: 3.5–6 in (89–152 mm)
Bulkheads: 8–13.5 in (203–343 mm)Uptakes: 9–13.5 in (229–343 mm)
Secondary armament: none

USS South Dakota design in 1920:
[ img ]

1) Tripod masts replace the cagemasts.
2) The mast platforms now have splinter shields and some are armed with .50 cal BMGs.
3) A 4 gun tube surmounts the mainmast fire control house.
4) A stern catapult and floatplane crane as well as a catapult atop #3 turret and a floatplane crane on either side of the mainmast has been added.

[ img ]

1939-1940

1) Both Tripodmasts removed and replaced by modern mast structures.
2) Mk-33 Fire Control Director at the highest platform of the foremast platform with a Mk-31 one level down and flanked on either side by Mk-31 Directors and a 15’ Rangefinder forward with the same arrangement on the aftermast.
3) The 6in/53 cal. Guns were removed and replaced by 10 dual 5in. 38 cal.
4) Four quad 1.1in machine guns two forward and two aft flanking either mast with various Oerlikons in gun tubs.
[ img ]

1944:

addition of several 20mm Oerlikons and 40mm Bofors anti-aircraft guns as well as the addition of a radar suite composed of: an SK-2 Air Search Radar was added to the foremast and SG Surface Search Radar. Radar augmented the fire control directors with MK-33 Fire Control Director with MK-18 Radar Antenna and Upper MK-31 Fire Control Director with MK-33 Radar Antenna with Lower Flanking MK-31 Fire Control Director with MK-18 Radar Antennae. SR Air Search Radar was added to the Mainmast and the MK-33 Fire Control Director with MK-18 Radar Antenna and the MK-31 Fire Control Director with MK-33 Radar Antenna.

[ img ]

With Measure 22 Camouflage:

[ img ]

Edited by BIGCOREMKP0I

673 posts
5,387 battles

Pre-Dread? Wut?

HMS Dreadnought was out before WW1 (1915). The South Dakota-class in question is a 1920 design, a Super-Dread.

4x3 406 would be a nightmare to balance. T7 with 1.5 sigma and 300 m dispersion at 15km with shattering shells. T8 are full of fast and modern battleships.

Edited by Paladinum

115 posts
5,229 battles

IDK the detailed spec of that BB-49 (1920), but if they had a low speed specification like the others USN dreadnought type BB, no matter how much tankier or how big main guns she had, it's terrible IMO. It feels like everything faster than you are bullying you, even your team mate. I just can't bear that 21 knots curse, especially when other BB are faster and more mobile than you.

Edited by Sharr_Dextera

2,101 posts
9,714 battles
59 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

Pre-Dread? Wut?

HMS Dreadnought was out before WW1 (1915). The South Dakota-class in question is a 1920 design, a Super-Dread.

4x3 406 would be a nightmare to balance. T7 with 1.5 sigma and 300 m dispersion at 15km with shattering shells. T8 are full of fast and modern battleships.

Well, it has Torpedoes so its going to be Balanced?

2,101 posts
9,714 battles
5 minutes ago, waichung1823 said:

The last picture looks similar as New Mexico. 12 rifles, that's a lot of damage! 

She's equal of that to Colorado and Tennessee class respectively.

115 posts
5,229 battles
15 minutes ago, BIGCOREMKP0I said:

Well, it has Torpedoes so its going to be Balanced?

Oh no... not that again... :cap_fainting:

In WoWs, it's good in tier 6, or tier 7. On tier 8, I don't know.

In real historical world, Is that canceled because one of the naval treaty? Then, the design must be obsolete at WW2 era, so USN choose newer BB design (North Carolina Class maybe?).

Edited by Sharr_Dextera

[LBAS]
475 posts
1,522 battles
20 minutes ago, BIGCOREMKP0I said:

She's equal of that to Colorado and Tennessee class respectively.

I found 1939 and 1944 similar to Tennesse class, while Lolorado is similar to 1920 design and most Dreadnought has that typical Superstructure. But both share similar design, thicc armor, snail speed and stronk AA. 

Im glad US always compare their counterpart and improve, cancel South Dakota may be a good thing to them, that's the reason they came out with superior BB like NC, South Dakota (Modern BB) and Iowa class. 

Another thing is Naval Treaty where all dreadnought should be removed from service and scrap. Luckily US didn't release this ship in 1920. Bad idea, indeed...... Unlike Japan they disagreed the Naval treaty and release a super BB Yamato and Musashi. Only if UK and US didn't follow this Treaty. KGV shouldve been 380mm instead of 356.. LUL

Edited by waichung1823

2,101 posts
9,714 battles
22 minutes ago, Sharr_Dextera said:

Oh no... not that again... :cap_fainting:

In WoWs, it's good in tier 6, or tier 7. On tier 8, I don't know.

In real historical world, Is that canceled because one of the naval treaty? Then, the design must be obsolete at WW2 era, so USN choose newer BB design (North Carolina Class maybe?).

Yes @Sharr_Dextera, It was the first battleship to be cancelled due to how the treaty was restricted. almost been completed after but was scrapped in 1920.

and its going to the same Tier (7) with Colorado and West Virginia 1944 (Note that it still has torpedo tubes installed in this paper design even 1944)

14 minutes ago, waichung1823 said:

I found 1939 and 1944 similar to Tennesse class, while Lolorado is similar to 1920 design and most Dreadnought has that typical Superstructure. But both share similar design, thicc armor, snail speed and stronk AA. 

she has speed of 23 knots

But in a few upgrades in 1939 to 1944 her speed is about 27-28 knots due to of a what if Modernization.

Edited by BIGCOREMKP0I

[LBAS]
475 posts
1,522 battles
1 minute ago, BIGCOREMKP0I said:

Same Tier (7) withColorado and West Virginia 1944 (Note that it still has torpedo tubes installed in this paper design even 1944)

she has speed of 23 knots

But in a few upgrades in 1936 and 1944 her speed is about 27-28 knots due to of a what if Modernization.

27-28 knots is great, hope to see WeeVee 1944 with that speed 

2,101 posts
9,714 battles
1 minute ago, waichung1823 said:

27-28 knots is great, hope to see WeeVee 1944 with that speed 

This is the only Battleship that has torpedoes until 1944, the rest of the U.S Battleships in history don't have it.

[LBAS]
475 posts
1,522 battles
Just now, BIGCOREMKP0I said:

This is the only Battleship that has torpedoes until 1944, the rest of the U.S Battleships in history don't have it.

Submerged or launcher? 

115 posts
5,229 battles

With that specs such 12x 16" guns, 27-28 kts, torpedo tubes, it would be a real definition of OP (biased maybe). And it could be nerfed so badly in the name of Balance™

[LBAS]
475 posts
1,522 battles
3 minutes ago, Sharr_Dextera said:

With that specs such 12x 16" guns, 27-28 kts, torpedo tubes, it would be a real definition of OP (biased maybe). And it could be nerfed so badly in the name of Balance™

You are right. Thicc armor, 12x 16 inch guns, 27-28 knots, torpedo tubes, god tier AA.... Maybe WG nerf with bad torpedo protection ( not likely since Murica dreadnought has good torpedo protection) or terrible sigma like NM. 

Edited by waichung1823

2,101 posts
9,714 battles
3 minutes ago, Sharr_Dextera said:

2 minutes ago, waichung1823 said:

Submerged can be good thing, impossible to destroy 

Thing is, This ship is equal to Mutsu despite of gameplay (torpedoes)

and a hybrid of that from Massacheese of those 127mm dp mounts.

AA is powercreep due to bofors

Submerge Torpedoes can launch 1 by 1, South Dakota has 4 submerge torpedoes, 2 on each side.

[LBAS]
475 posts
1,522 battles
2 minutes ago, BIGCOREMKP0I said:

Thing is, This ship is equal to Mutsu despite of gameplay (torpedoes)

and a hybrid of that from Massacheese of those 127mm dp mounts.

AA is powercreep due to bofors

Submerge Torpedoes can launch 1 by 1, South Dakota has 4 submerge torpedoes, 2 on each side.

Well then it wil be fragile, but 21 sec reload for torpedo that capable travel 7 km is fun 

2,101 posts
9,714 battles

Well then it wil be fragile, but 21 sec reload for torpedo that capable travel 7 km is fun 

You said submerge torps are harder to deastroy yet you argue with it :Smile_teethhappy:

[LBAS]
475 posts
1,522 battles
3 minutes ago, BIGCOREMKP0I said:

You said submerge torps are harder to deastroy yet you argue with it :Smile_teethhappy:

Mutsu torps Launcher are fragile haha, i mean gameplay. 

I knock out many in co-op with BB

But its fun to have BB with torps, that's the reason i will start grind German BB 

But yeah irl, its indestructible. 

Edited by waichung1823

2,101 posts
9,714 battles
10 minutes ago, waichung1823 said:

Mutsu torps Launcher are fragile haha, i mean gameplay. 

I knock out many in co-op with BB

But its fun to have BB with torps, that's the reason i will start grind German BB 

But yeah irl, its indestructible. 

The armor can withstand 18inch shells from Yamato, According to its torpedo protection, its has Extra thicc Bulge and itll be 50% and can withstand from 4-7 torpedoes from Destroyers and Cruisers while 5-10 from aerial torpedoes.

Its armor can withstand burning and AP Bombs from Dive Bombers

And has a unique Spotter Aircraft (North carolina OS2U) and Catapult Fighter too. (F4F Wildcatfish) with reduced time and increased duration (like Musashi)

Edited by BIGCOREMKP0I

[LBAS]
475 posts
1,522 battles
Just now, BIGCOREMKP0I said:

The armor can withstand 18inch shells from Yamato, According to its torpedo protection, its has Extra thicc Bulge and itll be 50%

Wow, 50% is fantastic, if WG release, sure i will buy haha, but it will be overpowered 

2,101 posts
9,714 battles

Wow, 50% is fantastic, if WG release, sure i will buy haha, but it will be overpowered 

Edited: added some basis for armor and consumables.

Edited by BIGCOREMKP0I