You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Grumps_1963

Shooting accuracy

38 comments in this topic

[JACK]
75 posts
664 battles

I have to say I am really struggling against the laser guided artillery that everyone but me has.

Camouflage seems to be a waste of time so I have given up on it. No one seems to miss their target except me. I can't hit a thing but every incoming round hits me even if I have a DD or a CL and the firing ship is a BB at 16 - 18 km away. i am constantly destroyed, often one shotted by ships that are well outside my range.

On top of that every first hit destroys my engines no matter the firing angle meaning I am a sitting duck for the kill shot.

You don't learn much about how to play a ship type or the game itself when you only get 2 - 3 minutes gameplay. I only last longer than that if I play co-op or BBs when their are no CVs in the game.

Just about ready to tell WG where they can shove this crap. If I wannt to piss money up the wall I will go to the pub.

Edited by Grumps_1963

[CLAY]
1,205 posts
8,130 battles

Patience, it takes time and knowledge, you'll get there after a few thousand battles. There are also places on ships with take more damage, depending on shell type.

You've got low tier ships, so of course their accuracy is bad, especially the BBs.

I recommend taking ships out in  co-op and practice. Try the Furutaka in its A or B hull. 1 Gun per turret. You can fire a single shot or two to gauge accuracy before firing the rest. Or take out Kuma and practice with its relatively fast reloading guns.

You'll be hitting dead centre and getting citadels in no time (you'll still suffer from random bouts of bad dispersion, but everyone does).

Not sure why other players have laser accuracy, could be a number of factors, they may be more skilled, or seal clubbers, you may be making yourself an easy target... without seeing gameplay, I cant be sure. I suspect either more experience, or just a perception that they are more accurate.

[OPX]
62 posts
9,797 battles

This happens in early stages of game play. 

There is training room option where you can set it up - bots moving and unarmed - there you can practice without affecting your stats or your emotions - 1st aiming then once you have got hold of that then make bots armed and high skill level with 2-3 bots at same time.

Engines, stearing gears get knocked out frequently in destroyers and in cruisers. You will have to use last stand commander skill (level 2) almost all destroyers need it as well as french cruisers (it helps you to keep moving at 50% speed despite your module being knocked out) 

Don't go full speed towards the enemy - common mistake made when learning the game. You will get focused fired by all the enemies. 

Pop up smoke - as soon as you get detected, until you master the "art of when to use the smoke" (again use commander skill level 1 priority target) so you get to know how many enemy ships are aiming at you) 

Aiming - 

Here are couple of videos to help you =- 

To Know more about commander skills - 

https://worldofwarships.com/en/content/captains-skills/?skills=&ship=Battleship

General Random Advice - 

Tier 5 can be daunting - the level of play (good play) goes up drastically - i remember - the first tier 5 i played was Emerald - and it exploded like fire cracker - and it was damn frustrating. But it is about getting used to game play, understanding tactics and strategies - it is not just about aim, fire, rinse, repeat. 

Cruisers work best by hiding behind islands, using the terrain to advantage. Cruisers sailing into open sea are vulnerable to fire from all sides, they have little to no armor, hence get deleted pretty quickly. There is thing called as not showing broadside (exposing citadel). Tactics like firing from max gun range, tactics like holding fire and getting out of concealment range to go invisible after 20 sec if multiple targets are firing at you. 

Watch You tube videos of WOW community contributors - flamu, notser, i chase, flambass, jingles to name a few. Most of these people are also on twitch streaming live content. I did not know there is large community that helps players improve the game till i reached tier 5 on 2 lines 

It seems you are playing on Japanese lines - Japanese dd are good at stealth torping. There guns although improved in recent patch are not as good as other lines.

Like all games. it takes time to get used to. (i did not know what citadel was till i reached tier 5) 

Of course there are players that have mastered aiming as they are playing this game from start (3 years) and there are others like me who have 5k + games under my belt but still mislead or over lead in every game.... :) 

Your stats seem decent at this early stage.  (Mine are still crap) Don't give up - use training rooms till you improve aiming and dodging skills (use of W A S D keys when ships are firing at you)  

• Cool 3

[REPOI]
5,067 posts
20,573 battles

normally i'd make a snarky comment here but it's Christmas, so i'll be nice

2 hours ago, Grumps_1963 said:

I have to say I am really struggling against the laser guided artillery that everyone but me has.

Camouflage seems to be a waste of time so I have given up on it. No one seems to miss their target except me. I can't hit a thing but every incoming round hits me even if I have a DD or a CL and the firing ship is a BB at 16 - 18 km away. i am constantly destroyed, often one shotted by ships that are well outside my range.

On top of that every first hit destroys my engines no matter the firing angle meaning I am a sitting duck for the kill shot.

You don't learn much about how to play a ship type or the game itself when you only get 2 - 3 minutes gameplay. I only last longer than that if I play co-op or BBs when their are no CVs in the game.

Just about ready to tell WG where they can shove this crap. If I wannt to piss money up the wall I will go to the pub.

camouflage in the game doesnt help with dispersion, it's there to help with concealment, the important thing is engage and disengagement

2, engines getting knocked out is normal for low tiers and DDs, it will get better after you get past t5

2-3 minutes means you are YOLOing full speed into the enemy team, learn to use the terrain and your concealment to avoid getting focused and dieing early

if you dont want to learn the game and go to the pub, feel free

670 posts
5,322 battles

Do you know there's this commander skill called "Last stand."? It's quite cheap and pretty useful when you are using a cruisers or destroyers. But still, you have to be careful next time.

Yes you can. You should've Stick with your teammates to find some support or you can learn form experts out there. Maybe, the problem is you are charging forward in the start of a game. This will expose you to the enemy team. Thus will makes you die in the first place. There are a lot of islands in each maps that you can use to hide yourself from the enemy's line of sight.

[AUSRP]
113 posts
7,735 battles

This is how I got past the "always dying early" phase:

Go to YouTube.

Search Flamu's channel for <your ship name>

Watch the guide, learn the tactics. I'm still learning from the really strong CC's like Flamu, Flambass, Notser, Ichasegaming, Mejash.

• Cool 1

[PAMAN]
160 posts
5,851 battles

If you new to this game, and got low tier ship (tier 2-4), first thing is you need to know what kind of ship that you play. Every type of ships, tiers, or even each ship had their own characteristic and different style of gameplay. And then, take your time to familiarize yourself to basic game mechanics, interface, etc. Dont rush to kill, learn how to survive the battle as long as possible while inflicting damage and contributing to your team as much as you can.

Later, At middle tier (about tier 5-7), you start to learn new things. Such as concealment, armor scheme, gun and shells characteristic, AA system, torpedo aiming and dodging, consumables, etc. It takes a lot of time. Take the advantage of training room and co-op battle, search the internet, and pay attention to advice from more experienced player (like those above). I take my about 2k-ish battles to properly enjoy this game, so patience is the most important key here.

Edited by Sharr_Dextera

[SGC]
Super Tester
7,897 posts
8,180 battles

If you think what everyone else doing is working, why don't you just do what they do? Learning to lead and learning to kite should not take 400 battles. Anyway, just spend some time watching YouTube videos on the ship you are playing. You will get some hint.

[JACK]
75 posts
664 battles
18 hours ago, drakon233 said:

normally i'd make a snarky comment here but it's Christmas, so i'll be nice

camouflage in the game doesnt help with dispersion, it's there to help with concealment, the important thing is engage and disengagement

2, engines getting knocked out is normal for low tiers and DDs, it will get better after you get past t5

2-3 minutes means you are YOLOing full speed into the enemy team, learn to use the terrain and your concealment to avoid getting focused and dieing early

if you dont want to learn the game and go to the pub, feel free

Actualy I am not yoloing full speed into the enemy. When I take a DD I get behind the nearest island I can and then try to work my way to a cap or to support the nearest larger ship. The minute I am spotted its game over. No one ever misses. most of the time I never even see the red force if I am in a DD.

Cruisers are only slightly different. I at least usually see the red force before I am nuked out of the game.

Being constantly matched against T7 doesn't make for much game time.

[JACK]
75 posts
664 battles
16 hours ago, MeglaGnome said:

This is how I got past the "always dying early" phase:

Go to YouTube.

Search Flamu's channel for <your ship name>

Watch the guide, learn the tactics. I'm still learning from the really strong CC's like Flamu, Flambass, Notser, Ichasegaming, Mejash.

I have watched a few of Notser's videos and pm'ed him for some tips. He does some good explanations of the games features.

I will look up the others that you mentioned. Thanks

1,910 posts
6,036 battles
21 minutes ago, Grumps_1963 said:

So what the hell is kite?

Hit-and-run without getting hit yourself. Keep the distance. Works when you play most battleships/cruisers and some destroyers.

[TDA]
Super Tester
371 posts
8,164 battles
26 minutes ago, Grumps_1963 said:

So what the hell is kite?

Its sort of a tactical retreat and WSAD-ing incoming fire and doing your best not to get hit.

iChase puts out some really good tactical videos and they are really worth a watch.

[HMASW]
15 posts
2,288 battles
On 12/22/2018 at 12:04 AM, Grumps_1963 said:

Grumps, I hear you. I am still not a one shotting know it all or even think I am like a lot of the players out there,  but my advice is to read all the suggestions on here. 
Watch the captains academy or search YouTube for your line, i.e. type/country. Some of the 'Streamers' like iChase, Flamu, and JimmyWrangels will go through everything from using radar to how to hide in smoke or just how to play the ship. They make it look easy, but they have thousands of battles. Like golf, just because you own a thousand dollar set of clubs doesn't mean you can hit the ball.

If you haven't already, join a clan. Get them to teach you which penants to use, i.e. Juliet Charlie (There is no danger of explosion), totally eliminates magazine explosion, etc. The Captain Skill Priority Target will let you know how many guns are trained on you so you can pop smoke, etc. The other good thing about a clan is that you won't get left in battle on your own to get slaughtered, the experienced players will also tell you if you are heading into a trap.

I have totally crap stats because I used penants and premium ships to progress through the tiers really quickly without learning the ship. I used to be dead in the opening minutes or finish with minimal damaged caused. I am still not great, but I survive most battles now if I don't get suckered in and of late have been in the top five of damage done, not always. And one of the biggest ones I learned from watching videos was to learn the ships in the game and the capabilities so you know what you are facing (i.e. which have radar, torpedo ranges, etc) and think a step ahead, think what the enemy might do.

Cheers

• Cool 1

[-FUN-]
300 posts
4,021 battles
On 12/22/2018 at 7:51 PM, Grumps_1963 said:

Actualy I am not yoloing full speed into the enemy. When I take a DD I get behind the nearest island I can and then try to work my way to a cap or to support the nearest larger ship. The minute I am spotted its game over. No one ever misses. most of the time I never even see the red force if I am in a DD.

Cruisers are only slightly different. I at least usually see the red force before I am nuked out of the game.

Being constantly matched against T7 doesn't make for much game time.

I'm guessing you are in tier 5 DD and facing enemy DD with Concealment Expert skill without having such skill yourself. In that case is a bit hard I know, especially if the red DD has more experienced. Try not to fire at the first red you see. Keep hidden and assess situation before you take action. RU DDs have the worse concealment, they are more like a light CL.

Remember basic DD captain skill is Priority Target, Last Stand, Survivability Expert and Concealment Expert. Never pick other skill if you havent got those four yet, if you havent got 10 pointer captain, make it a priority to train one. You can also use free 10 pointers from Ops etc (WG gives them out quite often)

48 posts
10,672 battles
52 minutes ago, zergling_ said:

I'm guessing you are in tier 5 DD and facing enemy DD with Concealment Expert skill without having such skill yourself. In that case is a bit hard I know, especially if the red DD has more experienced. Try not to fire at the first red you see. Keep hidden and assess situation before you take action. RU DDs have the worse concealment, they are more like a light CL.

Remember basic DD captain skill is Priority Target, Last Stand, Survivability Expert and Concealment Expert. Never pick other skill if you havent got those four yet, if you havent got 10 pointer captain, make it a priority to train one. You can also use free 10 pointers from Ops etc (WG gives them out quite often)

I do have to ask... why does everyone want priority target? i assume EVERY ONE is aimming at me if im detected, i can see zero sense in it for a DD.. Before they changed it, and you needed that perk to see if you were detected i could see the point. Not now, it seems its more useful for cruisers or bb's to tell if some one is stealth torping yah or something.

Edited by KingOchaos
  • Cool 2

[CLAY]
1,205 posts
8,130 battles
1 hour ago, zergling_ said:

Actually, while the skills listed are good for gunboats, for a torp boat like Minekaze, preventative maintenance and Superintendent may be better than priority target and survival expert. With fully upgraded concealment, you are the sneakiest DD in the game, your only radar risks are Atlanta, Belfast and Indianapolis. You should not be seen, if you are seen, assume everyone is targeting you, you want to get unseen ASAP, PM and extra engine boost and smokescreen help with this. You should only use you guns when you do not lose anything. You should go around spamming torps at locations where ships are likely to be. You like open water because you can see ships coming and they can’t see you. You outspot enemy DDs and have you allies shoot them. You use smokescreen to escape, or hide in if you want a little gun damage.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[-FUN-]
300 posts
4,021 battles
2 hours ago, KingOchaos said:

I do have to ask... why does everyone want priority target? i assume EVERY ONE is aimming at me if im detected, i can see zero sense in it for a DD.. Before they changed it, and you needed that perk to see if you were detected i could see the point. Not now, it seems its more useful for cruisers or bb's to tell if some one is stealth torping yah or something.

For me PT becomes more valueable mid to late game when there is not that many red forces anymore. Knowing you dont have anyone targeting you let you go on the offensive and rack up those exp. Ofc this apply for gunboat DDs

[BLESS]
590 posts
6,620 battles

This thread reminded me how much distance there is between 500 and 5000 battles, how fantabulously deep the gameplay mechanics go and how insanely opaque this all must appear to beginners.

• Cool 2

[-FUN-]
300 posts
4,021 battles
2 hours ago, Grygus_Triss said:

Actually, while the skills listed are good for gunboats, for a torp boat like Minekaze, preventative maintenance and Superintendent may be better than priority target and survival expert. With fully upgraded concealment, you are the sneakiest DD in the game, your only radar risks are Atlanta, Belfast and Indianapolis. You should not be seen, if you are seen, assume everyone is targeting you, you want to get unseen ASAP, PM and extra engine boost and smokescreen help with this. You should only use you guns when you do not lose anything. You should go around spamming torps at locations where ships are likely to be. You like open water because you can see ships coming and they can’t see you. You outspot enemy DDs and have you allies shoot them. You use smokescreen to escape, or hide in if you want a little gun damage.

Yups. I did have gunboat DD on mind. Been playing US DD line recently as gunboats. Thanks for helping me clarify.

Edited by zergling_

[SGC]
Super Tester
7,897 posts
8,180 battles
4 hours ago, KingOchaos said:

PT and RPF gives you information. Information is key. If you can't make use of that information, that's your problem really.

When I play DD, and I get spotted, that PT counter gives me a good idea on how aggressive I could be there. The PT counter has many other use. A flactuation in counter usually means there is something switching between guns and torpedoes. PT counter gives away enemy numbers even when they aren't spotted. Cause people auto lock on you. And from that range, they aren't much danger unless you are a complete numpty in a DD.

Besides, there is no other level 1 skill that works better on a DD.

Edited by icy_phoenix

[SGC]
Super Tester
7,897 posts
8,180 battles
2 hours ago, Rina_Pon said:

This thread reminded me how much distance there is between 500 and 5000 battles, how fantabulously deep the gameplay mechanics go and how insanely opaque this all must appear to beginners.

Yep, I still laugh looking at some of the posts I made in 2016.

I'm sure these people will have similar experiences too..

[SGC]
Super Tester
7,897 posts
8,180 battles
4 hours ago, Grygus_Triss said:

WRONG. This is very WRONG.

What great consumables do you have on an ijn DD to get SI????

PM won't save anything when any cruiser caliber or higher shell hits you.

SE is even more important on IJN DDs, cause they have lower HP pool apart from 3. And no, they are the sneakiest only for 5 DDs in the whole of two lines. All the others are worse or equivalent from some of the counterparts. And of course there are CVs.

Besides, you can face another ijn DD with SE without you having one. Your HP pool will instantly tell him that he can take you head on.

Do not suggest bad builds please.

Edited by icy_phoenix