Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ShaddowAU

"Commonwealth" Ships Flying the Wrong Ensign

19 comments in this topic

83 posts

I don't know if this topic has been broached before, I imagine it most like has been multiple times, but I think it needs to be pushed again into WG attention. I notice that WG, as a Russian based company, has taken the care with ships of its own country to even have two separate ensigns for pre and post Revolution so that ships of both eras have their correct ensign while the background flag for ships in the Menu is the flag of the USSR. I think this is a good system as the ships under 2 different ensigns are correctly linked to the same country. In stark contrast the ships of Australia and Canada fly the 1976-2013 version of the Flag of the Commonwealth of Nations as their ensigns. No ships or Army have ever fought under that flag. I don't really object to these ships having the "Commonwealth" flag as the background for the ships menu but I highly object to these ship flying this flag as their ensign. The Royal Australian Navy fought under the Royal Navy Ensign from its creation in 1911 until 1967 when we created our own ensign to differentiate our ships from RN ones during the Vietnam War. Similarly the Royal Canadian Navy fought under the Royal Navy Ensign from its creation in 1910 until 1965. The correct ensigns for these "Commonwealth" vessel in WoWS is the Royal Navy Ensign. I imagine ships clumped as "Pan-Asia" and "Pan-America" have the same issues and no doubt players from China, South Korea, Indonesia, Thailand and Argentina are just as annoyed/insulted as Australians and Canadians for not having the correct ensigns. WG loves making lots of silly flags for people to put on their ships so would it really be that difficult to put the correct ensigns on the "Commonwealth", "Pan-Asia" and "Pan-America" ships it makes?

[SEARN]
626 posts
9,017 battles

There has been the option for quite a while now to select either Commonwealth flag/Pan Asian flag OR ships country navy ensign for commonwealth ships and the Pan Asian line ships.

Below is a screenshot of Perth, but Pan Asian and Pan American ships have the option of their respective countries naval ensign also.

perth.png.9c116ac5dc7716f01c330d335f4c4e3c.png

Edited by HobartAWD

83 posts
41 minutes ago, HobartAWD said:

There has been the option for quite a while now to select either Commonwealth flag/Pan Asian flag OR ships country navy ensign for commonwealth ships and the Pan Asian line ships.

Below is a screenshot of Perth, but Pan Asian and Pan American ships have the option of their respective countries naval ensign also.

Wow, thanks for that, a very well hidden function that and I imagine most newer players have no idea about it.

673 posts
5,387 battles
1 hour ago, ShaddowAU said:

a very well hidden function

It isn't hidden at all, unless you were being sarcastic.

It was just implemented a bit late, after some backlash from SEA/Korean players wanting to not mount a largely Chinese flag (the Asian dragon) on the not-Chinese-at-all ships.

[HMASW]
1,688 posts
1 minute ago, Paladinum said:

It was just implemented a bit late, after some backlash from SEA/Korean players wanting to not mount a largely Chinese flag (the Asian dragon) on the not-Chinese-at-all ships.

I must be blind as well then, because I didn't know that existed, & I've been playing the game over 3 years.....

:Smile_facepalm:

Ordrazz

[SEARN]
626 posts
9,017 battles
7 minutes ago, Ordrazz said:

I must be blind as well then, because I didn't know that existed, & I've been playing the game over 3 years.....

:Smile_facepalm:

Ordrazz

It hasn't been an available feature for all that long, but it has been a consistently raised issue and WG listened and finally fixed it.

I don't know the exact dates but commonwealth line had the feature first from memory, followed by the Pan Asian line probably 5 months ago? Now the Pan American lines sole ship can fly the Argentine flag also.

83 posts
1 hour ago, Paladinum said:

No I'm not being sarcastic. First; when you don't know the function to change ensigns exists you don't even know to go look for it. Second; this extra flag menu only exists for these few vessels so, if you hadn't put an extra flag on HMAS Perth for example (as I hadn't before), you wouldn't know its even there, and you'd likely miss it anyway as its minimised by default. When you know it exists, as I do now, then it appears as obvious as dog's balls.

673 posts
5,387 battles

Sure.

If I play my Perth and see my strangely generic Commonwealth flag (which isn't even a naval flag) on a warship, I wouldn't go see if I have other flags to mount on the ship. If I go to the Flag tab on the Exterior menu, I wouldn't see the "Naval flags" section below all the fancy flags. I'm that incurious of my ships and what I can do with/put on them.

/s

2 hours ago, Ordrazz said:

I did state it was added late.

Edited by Paladinum

83 posts
56 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

Sure.

If I play my Perth and see my strangely generic Commonwealth flag (which isn't even a naval flag) on a warship, I wouldn't go see if I have other flags to mount on the ship. If I go to the Flag tab on the Exterior menu, I wouldn't see the "Naval flags" section below all the fancy flags. I'm that incurious of my ships and what I can do with/put on them.

All the other ships in the game have no option to change ensigns. For example there is no option to put the Kaiserliche Marine (Imperial German Navy) ensign on WW1 German ships, the only option available is the de-swastika'ed version of the WW2 Kriegsmarine ensign on all German ships. The game is not renowned for giving you choices of what ensign to fly on your ships. This effectively conditions you to believe that this is the case for every ship in the game, and it appears that was the case for some time. Why you think, that having seen all these other ships that you can't alter ensigns for, that everyone would automatically think WG would go out of its way to do something different for a few ships from relatively minor countries is absurd. As I alluded to before; unless you know that function exists you wouldn't expect it from WG and thus would not look for it.

Edited by ShaddowAU

673 posts
5,387 battles

I just have a habit of mounting new flags on any ship that I recently acquire and checking out my ships' stats every now and then. 

11 hours ago, ShaddowAU said:

Why you think, that having seen all these other ships that you can't alter ensigns for, that everyone would automatically think WG would go out of its way to do something different for a few ships from relatively minor countries is absurd.

If you mount new flags on all the ships that you have (no matter what navy/nation they are), I'm sure you won't miss that feature.

[CLAY]
596 posts
6,675 battles

I encourage everyone to regularly click around their menus to see if there are any new features. My standard approach to all things, fiddle with stuff until it either does what you want, or breaks.

[CLAY]
596 posts
6,675 battles
2 hours ago, BanditSE1977 said:

I think the feature for the flags was done earlier this year.I didn't take much notice as none of the ships I have are affected by it.

It was mostly for the Pan Asia ships, then It was done for the commonwealth ships as well. It may be done at some point for other ships that are part of lines which are grouped together from different nations. But we’ll likely always have some flags which WG simply don’t want to show in the game.

[HMASW]
1,688 posts
1 hour ago, RalphTheTheatreCat said:

Bugger me.  I've been here since Jesus was a boy and only just changed the flags after reading this thread

Crikey, then you were THERE, when he grew up & became the evil RNGesus !!!!

Tell me, what set him off? Why did he turn, what made him want to tease all warship players so much ?

I WANT TO KNOW THE TRIGGERRRRRRR, why he changed so much...

a3334c8ba8d247da7dc231a62578074d50987a7d32a61dbe6387e010bf7e7cb9.jpg.2624abfcc57b7a74afea3203a67594fd.jpg

83 posts
On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 9:28 PM, ShaddowAU said:

For example there is no option to put the Kaiserliche Marine (Imperial German Navy) ensign on WW1 German ships, the only option available is the de-swastika'ed version of the WW2 Kriegsmarine ensign on all German ships.

It feels weird quoting yourself but anyway...

I'm surprised this isn't also a major issue for the player base, especially Germans. There are quite a number of WW1 German ships in the game and I know I would prefer they flew the correct ensign and not a censored version* of one from a Nazi fascist regime. Don't get me wrong, I certainly don't see the WW1 German Empire as bunch of warm and fuzzy Care Bears but they certainly were a touch more honorable and humane than the WW2 Nazi Germans. I think German WW1 ships should have the increased esteem they deserve by flying their correct ensign and thus not be associated with Nazis by manner of flying the wrong ensign. As I stated at the very beginning of this thread, WG as a Russian based company made sure their own country's vessels correctly fly either the pre or post Revolution ensigns, why didn't they do the equivalent for Germany?

Kaiserliche Marine Ensign 1903-1918

320px-War_Ensign_of_Germany_(1903-1918)_svg.png.435f042795f10d1b4cea2507029e44a0.png

Kriegsmarine Ensign 1938-1945*

795409675_320px-War_ensign_of_Germany_(19381945)_svg.png.2f3f164dd9149945598f015bd7d0c4c2.png

*Obviously for legal reasons (in some countries) and for marketing (I know I wouldn't buy a ship flying a Nazi swastika) in WoWS the swastika in this ensign is replaced with another Iron Cross.

PS: Maybe this should be raised as a separate thread...

Edited by ShaddowAU

41 posts
12,234 battles
On 12/16/2018 at 5:16 PM, HobartAWD said:

but how to change the flags

[SEARN]
626 posts
9,017 battles
On ‎12‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 9:23 AM, super61_sniper said:

but how to change the flags

On the exterior tab under the flags section.

Underneath the flags you can mount on your ship will be a drop down menu as shown in my screenshot "naval flags".

Click this to get access to the alternate Naval ensigns for the applicable ships

Sign in to follow this