Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Max_Battle

Fail Platoon Rant - Come get Triggered

31 comments in this topic

Beta Tester
1,609 posts
10,212 battles

Ok, get your hipster memeplies ready. You know who you are. I'm about to feed you a rant. Go ahead, on with the salt memes and "Oh look another one of THESE threads" accompanied by some pleb celebrity gif shaking his head slowly or doing a slow clap. You're welcome.

TL:DR - Fix Fail Platoons.

If you read beyond this and comment about the pointlessness of this thread - remember you could have stopped here. Again, if you enjoy getting indignant and self righteous, you're welcome. Here, have some food.

So you know what?

I get passionate about this game. Whether that's a good or a bad thing is about as subjective as whether or not you should listen to The Beatles or The Rolling Stones (or Justin Bieber or Miley Cyrus - whatever!)

Still reading? Well remember I just said "subjective". That means YMMV so if you believe in absolutes (you damn Sith) you should stop reading because I'm just gonna end up triggering you here.

Do you think a game is better or worse for having passionate supporters? Is it a good or a bad thing for passionate players to be encouraged to continue to play said game? Is a game better served by casuals who just want to "have fun" while they drool and gibber on themselves while they mash the keyboard or people who actually (God Forbid!) GET INTO a game?

So anyway, in that passion I sometimes express my displeasure with other people's in game choices/playstyles/idiocy. Sometimes I say rude things. Sometimes I get chat banned.

Why is this? It's because I make other people feel bad when I undiplomatically and uncaringly point out their errors.

I make them feel bad. I don't take their doubloons or flags and I don't take their XP. I don't waste their game time and I don't impede their progress in the game.

I have no actual affect on them other than they "feel bad".

"Oh no someone said I'm an idiot for sailing side on to a battleship! Help me Obi-wan-Wargaming! You're my only hope!"

And Obi-Wan-Wargaming's ban-sabre flashes about righteously, I can't speak in game for three days and noob plebs keeps sailing side on to battleships - because he/she/non-binaried is playing for fun.

Ok, so we have a baseline.

According to Wargaming, you can't do things in game that make people feel bad.

Agreed?

That's the actual rule here?

Do not make people feel bad or you will get some kind of punishment. Whatever the fine print says - that's the effect.

Fail platoons make me feel bad.

In the example I am about to give you, fail platoon made me feel bad AND wasted my game time AND wasted my flags AND reduced my benefit from the battle AND impeded my progress in the game.

I bought Anshan with real world money, making an investment in WG and my fleet with the goal of speeding my acquisition of FXP. I don't have a great captain on her yet and bought her when a T6 Operation was on for obvious reasons. Cherry Blossom has really boosted my FXP lately and I wanted to keep that good feeling going with Anshan - a bote specifically for doing this. I'm starting to think I may save up enough to get Musashi before it's removed and that made me feel good. It tempts me to play more and buy more premium time.

I knew it would be a fight in PvP though. Only a 9 point captain and no CE on a DD... I knew I would have to fight hard and use all my awareness and game experience to benefit but as I have premium time running, I wanted to reap the rewards for the real world money I have spent getting it.

Game started and I was only focused on myself and doing the best job I could for my team. I glanced at the line up and saw it was a T7 game and that's fine. I'm T6. Good, Seems fair.

I rush A only to bug out fast when an Atlanta and an Akatsuki come at me. I dump smoke and torps and engage the Akatsuki with guns. I keep the Atlanta spotted so my allied BBs can smash it. They do so but I get the killing blow.

18k spotting damage. One kill.

Another enemy DD runs into cap and drops smoke. My torps are ready again so I smoke torp him - all the while under fire from the Akatsuki and a BB. My torps kill the Shinonome in the smoke, my allied BBs kill the enemy BB and we drive off the Akatsuki. I sail into cap and take it, while in my own smoke and setting fires on a Colorado who has come to see what the nonsense is all about.

Two kills and a cap and I am feeling good.

Feeling good. Feeling good.

I have fought hard, supported my team AND benefitted from the action myself, so yeah, I am feeling good about the game.

We have two caps, A and B - and C, although enemy held it is surrounded by the rest of my fleet and it's looking good for a 3 cap win.

Feeling good - not because anyone said anything - but because I have fought hard and played the game how its meant to be played.

I'm quite damaged and me and a friendly BB sail off towards C to help.

Points are in our favour and though we are abandoning A for a free cap to the enemy, as we left, their "last knowns" were quite distant from the cap and we will reap many points before they retake it.

C is hotly contested and a bitter fight ensues.

Both sides lose ships but as the smoke of battle clears, I am in cap with two others and even though A has been lost as anticipated, we now hold B and C... no wait, B is being capped by the enemy.

At this stage I have 2 caps and 2 kills and I am feeling good.

My team has a quick chat and assessment.

We determine that if we live, we are far enough ahead on points so that we can win.

It's been a long battle, timer is getting low.

We have fought hard and I feel good.

I feel like I have done well with a sub 10 point captain and have both served myself and the team.

There is no reason to lose.

We have discussed the situation and all are in agreement, live and win.

Wait a sec... what is that Myogi doing.

A MYOGI!?

I didn't even notice until now. I was so focused on playing the game right, fighting hard and supporting my team I didn't even notice that some rude noob *&&%^ and his @(*&*(& mate had brought a fail platoon into the game.

I started to feel bad.

I STARTED TO FEEL BAD BECAUSE OF SOMEONE ELSE'S ACTION IN THE GAME! But we aren't allowed to do that are we?

As the time counts down, he slowly backs out into the open.

Many of us tell him to get back.

We have discussed this at length.

It's not like we only had a few seconds to decide.

We had ample time to confer, understand and agree.

Myogi slowly backs out into the open.

All he had to do was go forwards, follow the team and be safe.

But no.

Fail Platoon.

His death lost us the game.

I did not feel good anymore.

He made me feel bad.

Now sure, this can happen in any game but in this specific circumstance, it was a noob in a fail platoon and if WG disallowed different tiered ships from divving, this could have been fixed.

So I may be a bit tongue in cheek with the whole "made me feel bad thing" but how is it different?

Seriously, how are words punished - words that have ZERO effect when actions that have DIRECT effect are even considered taboo to discuss?

Its madness.

In my personal tally of "Should I keep playing and investing in this game", Fail Platoons and non punishment of idiots is in the "Hell No" column.

FH_1.jpg

FH_2.jpg

FH_3.jpg

FH_4.jpg

FH_5.jpg

FH_6.jpg

sun_yang.jpg

Beta Tester
1,609 posts
10,212 battles
1 minute ago, BIGCOREMKP0I said:

Careful lad, you might get naming and shaming warning here, be advised.

Thanks for heads up but I have blanked all names.

Beta Tester
1,609 posts
10,212 battles
1 minute ago, BIGCOREMKP0I said:

you can report it for unsportmanship.

As I did up this post I considered doing that very thing.

I may repost this in that thread for that kind of reporting - but with all names in it obviously.

Beta Tester
1,609 posts
10,212 battles
27 minutes ago, BIGCOREMKP0I said:

Ok, reported it in the proper place.

Nothing will happen though.

Even if it does they don't tell you.

Protect their delicate little souls but don't protect actual gameplay.

Madness.

Beta Tester
1,207 posts
8,331 battles

Losing builds character. You should compliment that Myogi for helping you reflect on the nature of reality, the cosmos, and the spirit of mankind.

Wait, are we still allowed to say "mankind" or do we have to say something else now?

Super Tester
7,897 posts
8,143 battles

In all honesty, that Myogi is a new player (you can clearly see number of battles - 56) and you should not call him idiot, nor you should expect anything from Myogi.

And to report him is even more absurd.

Not good Max, not good.

Edited by icy_phoenix

Beta Tester
1,609 posts
10,212 battles
10 minutes ago, icy_phoenix said:

In all honesty, that Myogi is a new player (you can clearly see number of battles - 56) and you should not call him idiot, nor you should expect anything from Myogi.

And to report him is even more absurd.

Not good Max, not good.

He didn't have to do anything.

As a matter of fact, doing nothing was the best thing he could have done.

He was actively reversing into the enemy while multiple teammates told him to stop AFTER it had been discussed in detail.

Sometimes the hardest thing to do is nothing right?

It's not a matter of not landing accurate shots or know what ammo to use. Nor is it a matter of getting a captain build right or even understanding the role of different ships.

Its a simple matter of reading the team chat. That's all he had to do.

It was compounded by the ability for that T5 guy to bypass the T4 protection (and new player protection?) by divving with him.

No.

In all seriousness, if making other people feel bad when they play is not on, then this is not on.

Edited by Max_Battle

43 posts
9,105 battles

Guess what Max, without low win rate players there are no high rate players (im talking random, could not care less verse bots)

Its very simple, you would win as many due to these players on the other team as you loose with them on your team. With a perfectly skill balanced player base NO ONE would be above 50%  But with a mix a more skilled player can shift the balance more often.  It is that simple. So be grateful they are there you would loose more, no question about that with a more level skill base. :Smile_facepalm:

Now the truth is divisions do throw a bit of a spanner in theworks... they would disproportionately weight someones win rate verse skill. But ioy would get very complexe trying to quatify that.

Beta Tester
1,609 posts
10,212 battles
21 minutes ago, KingOchaos said:

Guess what Max, without low win rate players there are no high rate players (im talking random, could not care less verse bots)

Its very simple, you would win as many due to these players on the other team as you loose with them on your team. With a perfectly skill balanced player base NO ONE would be above 50%  But with a mix a more skilled player can shift the balance more often.  It is that simple. So be grateful they are there you would loose more, no question about that with a more level skill base. :Smile_facepalm:

Now the truth is divisions do throw a bit of a spanner in theworks... they would disproportionately weight someones win rate verse skill. But ioy would get very complexe trying to quatify that.

Sure. Of course. I suggest that's a separate issue.

There are good and bad players. That's not my complaint. (Well actually it sometimes is but that unjustified normally! 😛 )

If the Myogi had been a Kongo or a Fuso, meh, big deal, bad player at least they would have been in a correctly tiered ship - I wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

And if the new player, hadn't been divvved with a higher tier and presumably NOT new player, the game would have protected him from playing with veterans and me from his idiotic game throwing.

WG decided that T4 can't play with T6, unless you bypass it with a div... madness.

Ironically I just had a battle where I got 4 kills, was last man standing and still lost and was about to post the results as a sign that I can indeed just say "see sometimes you just get unlucky and meh, such is life."

(This included 2 caps and 12 defendeds. In an Asashio. Oh two of my kills weren't BBs and I didn't skirt the edges of the map! Yes I have seen the "Criminally Misplayed" video! 😄)

But then the irony. As I blanked out names I noticed that the Kidd had divved with a CV one tier lower.

I wonder what his intention was?

A plane killing ship divved with a CV one tier lower?

Is that okay? Is that the intention?

Because if it's not, just make divs same tier only, unless Coop where teams are mirrored anyway.

abuse.jpg

43 posts
9,105 battles
Just now, Max_Battle said:

Sure. Of course. I suggest that's a separate issue.

There are good and bad players. That's not my complaint. (Well actually it sometimes is but that unjustified normally! 😛 )

If the Myogi had been a Kongo or a Fuso, meh, big deal, bad player at least they would have been in a correctly tiered ship - I wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

And if the new player, hadn't been divvved with a higher tier and presumably NOT new player, the game would have protected him from playing with veterans and me from his idiotic game throwing.

WG decided that T4 can't play with T6, unless you bypass it with a div... madness.

Ironically I just had a battle where I got 4 kills, was last man standing and still lost and was about to post the results as a sign that I can indeed just say "see sometimes you just get unlucky and meh, such is life."

(This included 2 caps and 12 defendeds. In an Asashio. Oh two of my kills weren't BBs and I didn't skirt the edges of the map! Yes I have seen the "Criminally Misplayed" video! 😄)

But then the irony. As I blanked out names I noticed that the Kidd had divved with a CV one tier lower.

Because if it's not, just make divs same tier only, unless Coop where teams are mirrored anyway.

abuse.jpg

Yea, divisions should be locked to same tier. It can be frustrating. And i see with your example with cv how it could be gamed a bit aswell.

[SEARN]
617 posts
8,748 battles

A player with only 56 battles under their belt is playing the game they enjoy and happy to div up with a friend. They might have been only playing WOWS for a few days. They get reported and abused by someone with 167 times the number of battles played for simply being a new player. Don't focus attention on WOWS game design with fail divisions, just abuse a new player. Good show Max.

At 56 battles I would not have even known what a fail division was, let alone know how it affects battles. You talk about your awareness and game experience, you know the things that any new player doesn't have yet. It is WG's game design that allowed this to happen. Heaping verbal abuse on the Myogi player is very uncool and totally uncalled for.

I didn't get the memo that WG's products solely exist so Max can feel good. If you cannot come to terms that in an online game environment there are going to be wins and losses, elation and disappointment well I cant help you. Special emphasis on this being a game. Anytime I see a new player making that most human of qualities, a mistake, I'll be sure to direct them to you Max so you can tell them how much of an idiot they are for not having the same game experience and knowledge you have.

This is seriously one of the more spectacular rants I have ever read. Sorry correction, I could not read it all. You know why, it made me feel bad. Made me feel bad I am even part of the WOWS community with the way people carry on sometimes :Smile_facepalm:

1,458 posts
9,432 battles

Sorry Max, but you are out of line here.

Sure, blame WG for letting fail divisions and CV anchoring occur in the first place, but insulting new players and labelling them as idiots is totally uncalled for. Since when is it ok to treat new players as idiots?

Is it wrong for a new player, who probably only start playing the game a few days ago, to division up with a friend and have a couple of games together? At 56 games it is highly likely they don't know how the division mechanic works. I  remember one game where a Tier 6 Fubuki ended up in a Tier 9 game. He and his Tier 7 division mate didn't know that MM only takes into account the higher Tier ship. So rather than raging like the rest of my team, I just politely informed them how the division system works and advised not to fail div in the future (we actually ended up winning).

Remember, everyone was a newbie once. Don't expect new players to instantly know everything. It certainly took me more than 56 games to learn what fail divisions are, that's for sure. Heck, I have been playing for over 2 years and I still learn something new every once in a while.

5 hours ago, BIGCOREMKP0I said:

And in what way is this unsportsmanship? By all means, report them for playing badly, but for being unsporting? Again, is it wrong for a new player to division with a friend? Geez, is this what people use the karma system for? If so, I am not surprised so many people complain about having 0 karma.

5 hours ago, Max_Battle said:

Ok, reported it in the proper place.

Nothing will happen though.

Even if it does they don't tell you.

Protect their delicate little souls but don't protect actual gameplay.

Madness.

Damn straight nothing is going to happen. Because there was nothing wrong in the first place.

The fault lies with WG for letting fail divisions happen, NOT the new players.

733 posts
7,846 battles

Chill Max. I understand the frustration, been pressured under restricted time to achieve something,, yet your team failed you. I had the same feeling when I was in the middle do grinding some of my lines, or,,maybe was Missouri, I forgot.

What I can suggest now for this week, spam Cherry Blossom op. Either use Cleveland or Baltimore. It consistently gets you 1700 to 2100 Base XP, thus making your grind more worth it than in random battles. Main point here is consistency, and as such you won't waste your high yield camo/flags. I spam the special flags I got from the containers all this while.

All the best mate 

449 posts
4,564 battles

Calm down. Having an allied Myogi with very lack of experience in the game is still normal. Instead, you should either blame the Mutsuki for dragging his new friend into the 'real' battle or blame WG for letting the division failure to happen. 

3 hours ago, Max_Battle said:

If the Myogi had been a Kongo or a Fuso, meh, big deal, bad player at least they would have been in a correctly tiered ship

That doesn't matter. Ships doesn't dictate the win. But it's the skill. WoWS is p2w game. New players are still bad and underperformed. If he is using Fuso in the same exact situation, those torps from Akatsuki can still potentially kill him. 

100 posts
5,134 battles

Everybody here give you some good advice, mate. Next time you should keep your head cool, you are experienced player didn't you? You can turn this kind of event into more positive things.

Super Tester
1,357 posts

Max,

Your whole post justifies why I only play co-op.

Bots don't fail platoon. Bot's don't get triggered. Bot's don't report.

I only have to worry about my own team, and even then, I don't get worried.

Ahhhhhhh, The serenity.........

Super Tester
7,897 posts
8,143 battles
10 hours ago, Max_Battle said:

Hahaha, well, that's called CV anchoring.

When you see 1 tier lower BB/CA/DD you know it's probably either a masochist or noob division, but when you see a CV 1 tier lower, it means they know exactly what they were doing 😛 Yuro even made a video pointing out CV anchoring and it's bad impact on game experience. WG did jack shit to prevent that. So yah, now we do it for fun. Blame WG.

Super Tester
7,897 posts
8,143 battles
7 hours ago, Thyaliad said:

And in what way is this unsportsmanship? By all means, report them for playing badly, but for being unsporting? Again, is it wrong for a new player to division with a friend? Geez, is this what people use the karma system for? If so, I am not surprised so many people complain about having 0 karma.

Every time I test ships, people report me for nothing. Not like I play really bad to begin with 😛

And as I am ST, I do not really rant on chat either. I am surprised that I still have over 100.... I build up my karma collection, then a test session starts, and all goes down the drain...

Edited by icy_phoenix

Sign in to follow this