You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Grumps_1963

DD detection question

9 comments in this topic

75 posts
662 battles

G'day,

I thought I understood the ship detection principles until this week.

The basics are, unless I am mistaken, detection depends upon the height and size of your ship, visibility such as storms, rain and concealment behind islands. Then you add como to reduce the basic detection range.

Once a ship enters inside your detection range then your ship is spotted. Simples.

Wednesday night I took my T5 Minekaze into a mission. Detection range 6.2 km (6200 m). The mission was T5 and T6 ships and my ship was the very bottom of the team list, so lowest tier DD in the match.

Every time I entered into the open water on the flank where my DD, a CA, and two BBs started I was spotted. There was no ships in sight other than red BBs 14 km away and there were no aircraft on this flank.

After about 15 minutes the concentrated fire of the red BBs and CAs on this flank ended up destroying me. Every so often a red DD would come into sight at between 5 and 5.5 km. Beyond 5.5 km this DD was invisible, no smoke set.

This DD sat about 6 km away from my ship and shadowed me the whole game launching torps and giving away my location to the BBs until I was destroyed.

After the match was over I looked at the team lists again. The DD that I could not see until it was closer than 5.5 km was a T6 Fusun (spelling?). According tot he tech tree the detection range for this DD is 7 km (7000m). Camo reduces your detection range by a percentage. The ones that I currently have in my inventory provide 3% reduction. 3% reduction for a Fusun is 0.21 km (210 m) which makes the detection range 6.8 km which is still 0.6 km (600 m) further out than my detection range. A 1.5 km (1500 m) reduction in detection range is 22%.

Is there such a camo in the game? 

Why could I not detect a larger DD in open water, no islands, no smoke, no weather effects until it was 1 km inside my detection range?

252 posts
3,331 battles

There is a captain skill concealment expert which gives major boost to concealment. I'm guessing this is where you missed on. Iirc, Minekaze with CE should have a sub 6 km detection range

606 posts
6,711 battles
2 hours ago, zergling_ said:

There is a captain skill concealment expert which gives major boost to concealment. I'm guessing this is where you missed on. Iirc, Minekaze with CE should have a sub 6 km detection range

With concealment expert and camo, Minekaze can get to 5.4 km surface detection. I think this is the smallest in the game apart from the the T8 DDs Kagero, Harekaze and Asashio, which can also get to 5.4km, with the concealment modual you get at T8.

Concealment is very important to all DDs, but especially to the IJN torpedo boats. You will be at a disadvantage until you get your concealment range to the smallest it can get on each ship.