Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
luftkopf

IJN Cruisers

27 comments in this topic

[LONER]
71 posts
2,659 battles

I've been slowly grinding my way up the IJN CA tree, but none of them have really clicked with me. So far they've been quite underwhelming, although the speed and punch of the Aoba can be fun in operations.

To be honest, I suck at cruisers, and the game in general, but I've made it to the Roon, and Charles Martel which I have been enjoying, and I have a massive pile of American cruisers, thanks to the line split, but I've largely ignored them all because, well, American, though I take them for a run in operations sometimes.

I managed to get an Atago from the Black Friday crates, and I've had more fun driving it than I have in any IJN ship so far, so I want to know: Are there any Tech Tree IJN ships that are that much fun?

[MEGA]
4,664 posts
17,926 battles
Just now, luftkopf said:

I've been slowly grinding my way up the IJN CA tree, but none of them have really clicked with me. So far they've been quite underwhelming, although the speed and punch of the Aoba can be fun in operations.

To be honest, I suck at cruisers, and the game in general, but I've made it to the Roon, and Charles Martel which I have been enjoying, and I have a massive pile of American cruisers, thanks to the line split, but I've largely ignored them all because, well, American, though I take them for a run in operations sometimes.

I managed to get an Atago from the Black Friday crates, and I've had more fun driving it than I have in any IJN ship so far, so I want to know: Are there any Tech Tree IJN ships that are that much fun?

155 morgami is fun but pretty useless, 203 morgami is useless, ibuki is meh, and zao is pretty good, but powercreeped, the best ships tier for tier in the tech tree is prob furutaka and myoko

17 posts
4,499 battles

Ibuki can be "made to work", but its a chore. Max range HE spam, wiggle, don't show sides at all ever.

Zao is a pleasure, my go to T10 right now.

155 Mogami requires incredible patience and positioning, but can be a monster every other game. 

173 posts
5,037 battles

Highest HE fire chance of all cruiser lines for their gun size(s), super fast, agile but also fragile. Good torps but crappy torp angle (either show flat broadside or run away).

I have 155 Mogami and the ship, while super fragile, can be a pain in the ass against any other ship types (except CVs) with 15 shells per salvo. I do play cruisers quite recklessly but IJN cruisers are good.

By the virtue of high speed, flat-arc shells, they can't hug islands and shoot like US cruisers, or kite people at long range like the French, or just endure shots like German ones. Angling is very important. Long-ranged torpedoes can be used as support for a capping DD. You can go by a cap, launch some metal fish, and sail away before being spotted.

31 posts
1,316 battles

From my shallow experience. This is how I rate the ships.

Furutaka - Didn't enjoy it. I probably wasn't playing it right.

Aoba - Terrible experience.

Myoko - Good enough, turret traverse used to suck. (Better now)

Mogami - Insanely fun, 155mm is a thrill.

Ibuki - From decent to good after the buff. You can do well in this thing now. (Plays somewhat like the atago)

Zao - Still learning how to play it, enjoying it so far. The troll armour allows me to survive some mistakes. Only 9 battles in this    thing and I've already gotten 2 witherers out of it. (Plays similar to atago as well)

Edited by SecretIdentity

[LONER]
71 posts
2,659 battles

Thanks for the info guys. :cap_like:

It looks like there are some interesting ships coming up. I think it's time to dust off my Myoko. 

Super Tester
7,755 posts
8,040 battles

For me it was something like this

Before Furutaka - Irrelevant in the grand scheme of boats in wows universe and there are 42 reasons why not to bother about them at all when you....

Furutaka - Good

Aoba - Irrelevant

Myoko - Boring as hell

Mogami - Eh, now Cleveland is here. Time to stop grinding the line.....

[151ST]
1,026 posts
4,669 battles

Furutaka, Myoko, Zao

Furu is hands down the most dangerous Cruiser at T5, it actually has armour when angled and can lol-pen/cita all others

Myoko is a beast at T7

Zao is Ninja and long range firestarter. Initially use it to support allied DDs and wipe enemy DDs to 1/2 HP, then kite/stealth out and long range burn folks down. Abuse your stealth and go in for the occasional ninja-knife. DO NOT SHOW BROADSIDE! You have next to no HP, don't brawl, ever.

349 posts
4,853 battles

Furutaka - Invincible. No really. A CV is the only thing that can drop me.

Aoba - Streetfighter.

Myoko - Rock solid. I've peaked at 167k dmg in this bote. And that was before the turret traverse / dispersion buff.

Mogami - Screw the 155s and the slow turret traverse and useless penetration. The 203s with the buffed dispersion are the way to go. It's all the tools you need and then some.

Atago - I prefer Mogami for the better armor and faster rudder, but Atago has the heal and those sweet torp angles. 

Ibuki - Mogami with a heal, credible AA, twice the secondary DPM, and hot rod torps. And the best part is you aren't a Zao so people don't appreciate the threat until they're already dead.

Zao - All fear you.

[151ST]
1,026 posts
4,669 battles
31 minutes ago, Rina_Pon said:

Furutaka - Invincible. No really. A CV is the only thing that can drop me.

Aoba - Streetfighter.

Myoko - Rock solid. I've peaked at 167k dmg in this bote. And that was before the turret traverse / dispersion buff.

Mogami - Screw the 155s and the slow turret traverse and useless penetration. The 203s with the buffed dispersion are the way to go. It's all the tools you need and then some.

Atago - I prefer Mogami for the better armor and faster rudder, but Atago has the heal and those sweet torp angles. 

Ibuki - Mogami with a heal, credible AA, twice the secondary DPM, and hot rod torps. And the best part is you aren't a Zao so people don't appreciate the threat until they're already dead.

Zao - All fear you.

If you're good ^^^^^^ this

Except I hated Mogami, probs ok now with 203s, but Atago is just better because of heal, stealth and torp angles... Do love my Atago! (Cept T8 MM)

Edited by S4pp3R

451 posts

I'm working my way up and currently on the Ibuki.

Furutaka- Hated it, but I just got the Aoba about 1 day before they buffed the ship with new c hull that had Aoba turrets. Haven't played it since.

Aoba - Enjoyed it, it's a nice good light heavy cruiser at T6.

Myoko - great ship, controlled aggression is the name of the game with this ship. Still have and still love it.

Mogami - Only used the 155's. Again, controlled aggression. Like the Furutaka, plan your turret traverse ahead of time. Push forward up with DD and then kite away while burning. (Note IFHE is needed for raw damage, and Concealment for less kiting surviving. I went with IFHE first and learned how to really play controlled aggression with this ship.)

Ibuki- I loved it before the buff that happened recently.  Now it's just awesome.  Again controlled aggression. Push up with dd and kite away until time to push again. Ibuki's really big problem (along with Mogami) is that not that it has a high citadel,  (it does) but that the citadel is wide.  I've taken alot of shots at Ibukis and shells that would have resulted in pens (even with high citadel, it should only have been pen) turned into a citadel because of how wide the citadel is. An example that really shows this, is the French cruisers. They have narrow (space armor) citadels that result in pens or even overpens when broadside. American and Germans have normal citadels and can get pens when angled or wiggle with a shell drop on the outside. Not the Ibuki or Mogami, those eat cits due to wide citadels, but once you learn controlled aggression, you will own them. 

Zoa, not there yet, but will probably be there soon (year or so) with how much I'm playing, loving the Ibuki. So, can't say. 

Super Tester
7,755 posts
8,040 battles

My problem with IJN Cruiser line is, there is not a single ship in the line where any other nation does not perform outright better. I mean yeah, not like they must have the best one, its just surprising they don't have a single one.

Start with Furutaka again (and staying strictly tech tree)

Furutaka -> Although she is decent, absolutely no match for light cruisers like Omaha or Konigsberg, or even Emile Bertin

Aoba -> pfft, Dallas, Leander, Nurnberg are things....

Myoko -> Even Algerie is a better Myoko (even after buff), then you have monsters like Fiji, Helena. On the heavy side, Yorck, New Orleans are fantastic cruisers

Mogami -> Cleveland, Charles Martel, Baltimore, Chapayev...... Mogami isn't even comparable to any of these.

Ibuki -> (now that I think of it, she might be the best T9 HE), Neptune is .... sort of better I'd say

Zao -> She is not bad, infact pretty strong. But she lacks the presence in the map that DM, Worcester, Minotaur have. And well she has monster HE, you still don't compare it with Henri, Hindenburg and Most annoying of all, Moskva and clan battle stats will show you the same result. (May be mino falls short there).

349 posts
4,853 battles

@icy_phoenix

Furutaka -> Although she is decent, absolutely no match for light cruisers like Omaha or Konigsberg, or even Emile Bertin

If I'm in a Furutaka and in open water and can get within 12 km of any of those cruisers on a 1:1 basis they are food.

Super Tester
7,755 posts
8,040 battles
11 hours ago, Rina_Pon said:

@icy_phoenix

If I'm in a Furutaka and in open water and can get within 12 km of any of those cruisers on a 1:1 basis they are food.

I don't get this math. This game is won by rof/dpm and range. Furutaka has neither. You will lose quarter hp to Omaha even before your second salvo, that's just math. You know, your enemy won't be sitting still or bow rushing. Thus "muh Overmatch" is overrated. Yamato proved that a long time ago.

Infact, I'll say that, you will never kill a kiting Omaha with anything short of a bb or another high rof ship.

I don't want to go in an argument about this here, but if I talk from my experience, furutaka has no chance against me unless I accidentally show broadside. And it doesn't matter who plays it.

Edited by icy_phoenix

349 posts
4,853 battles

dpm is far from the be-all and end-all. That damage is multiplied by the hit:miss ratio, and distributed over the ratio of cits:pens:bounces:overpens.

Omaha has a high skill ceiling - I won't deny that - but if it can hit me and I can hit it, at medium out to my max range my guns hit more often and for more damage.

[LONER]
71 posts
2,659 battles

@icy_phoenix, what effect do you think the upcoming IJN cruiser buff will have on these ships? Is it enough to lift any of these ships up, or is it just enough to make them a bit more comfortable?

[MEGA]
4,664 posts
17,926 battles
3 hours ago, luftkopf said:

@icy_phoenix, what effect do you think the upcoming IJN cruiser buff will have on these ships? Is it enough to lift any of these ships up, or is it just enough to make them a bit more comfortable?

they have already been buffed, i have felt no diffrence at all, cruiser dispersion was already good enough to land all shots on target if you aim right and the buff changed nothing

[LONER]
71 posts
2,659 battles

Haha, I guess it shows how much I've been playing lately, @drakon233. I was hoping the buff would at least bring them up to par.

349 posts
4,853 battles

I thought it was a pretty significant buff, effectively increasing your practical engagement range and providing a significant survivability buffer in consequence. Myoko also gets the turret traverse buff,  a pretty big deal in itself IMO.

The very first shots I fired in Furutaka after 7.11 dropped I had to do a double take ... such completely different dispersion than I was used to, outside Zao.

I conclude from the above that how much you "feel" it very depends closely on how deeply you are dialed into the IJN cruise line.

Edited by Rina_Pon

173 posts
5,037 battles

IJN 203 mm guns ARE buffed in 0.7.11, and tbh the accuracy buff is somewhat redundant because cruiser/DD accuracy is already great to begin with, super tight dispersion and 2.05 sigma (which is the cruiser standard, except for Graf Spee and the super cruisers like Alaska and Kronstadt).

I hope WG buff IJN 203 turret traverse more :Smile_trollface:

Super Tester
7,755 posts
8,040 battles
8 minutes ago, luftkopf said:

Haha, I guess it shows how much I've been playing lately, @drakon233. I was hoping the buff would at least bring them up to par.

Well yeah, the dispersion buff isn't really huge. I do not think they have that bad of a dispersion to begin with. They lacked DPS. The still do.

173 posts
5,037 battles

That reminds me...

WG need to look at the (ironically) realistic and hard-to-utilize torpedo launching angle on most of the IJN cruisers. Seriously. What's with the flat broadside torpedo angle??? Why do I have to either turn around or show my broadside to launch torpedoes???

reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

[MEGA]
4,664 posts
17,926 battles
5 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

That reminds me...

WG need to look at the (ironically) realistic and hard-to-utilize torpedo launching angle on most of the IJN cruisers. Seriously. What's with the flat broadside torpedo angle??? Why do I have to either turn around or show my broadside to launch torpedoes???

reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

blam IJN designers for shitty design when translated in game then

31 posts
1,316 battles
48 minutes ago, Paladinum said:

That reminds me...

reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Historical and balance reasons. The IJN cruisers have fantastic torpedoes, if they are easy to use, they would be overpowered.

Sign in to follow this